Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 May '17 13:04
    Here's a little thought experiment for the brain dead masses.
    Unless I've overlooked someone, I think it's safe to say no one on this forum has been to the magnetic North Pole, although I'm happy to revise that position if someone can correct it.

That being said, imagine you are a mile south of the pole, facing north.
    The needle on your compass will be pointing ahead of you, yes?
    Walking forward 5,279' the needle would continue its inclination straight ahead of you.
    Q. What does the needle do when you are standing ON magnetic north?
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 May '17 14:17
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Unless I've overlooked someone, I think it's safe to say no one on this forum has been to the magnetic North Pole, although I'm happy to revise that position if someone can correct it.

The needle on your compass will b ...[text shortened]... raight ahead of you.
    [b]Q. What does the needle do when you are standing ON magnetic north?
    [/b]
    Spin around?
  3. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    05 May '17 14:21
    I imagine it would try to point straight down (or straight up). Why do you want to know?
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 May '17 14:24
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    I imagine it would try to point straight down (or straight up). Why do you want to know?
    It's a thought experiment; don't get your knickers in a wad.

Up, down, or spin around, like shav suggested?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '17 14:333 edits

The needle on your compass will b ...[text shortened]... raight ahead of you.
    [b]Q. What does the needle do when you are standing ON magnetic north?
    [/b]
    It is a lot more complex than the simplistic approach you clearly are supposing.
    The magnetic field of Earth is mind numbingly complex. The simulations of Earths magnetic field shows it to be twisted around like prezels inside Earth. What that means for Mag north is this: It is not a bunch of field lines shooting out of the ground. What it really is, is bits and pieces of that field fight each other and there will be vectors of force at odds with magnetic north which means on the magnetic north pole there will still be some weaker versions of that field going at right angles to the up and down nature of the field at the poles so the net result is the compass could point the same direction it would a hundred miles away or it could point to an entirely different direction. The gist of that is the usefulness as a compass would be pretty much zero. If the field lines were perfectly aligned and going straight up out of Earth there would be zero net force on a compass held horizontally since the small magnetic field of the compass is more or less horizontal to ground also which is why it interacts with Earths field, the field lines in the compass and the field lines in Earths field are aligned together. If they are 90 degrees out of phase, one field going up and down and the other field going left and right, the interaction between the two will be minumized. Like polarized light, a polarizing filter 90 degrees off from the polarization of light will stop light propagating through the filter. Only when the polarizing filter is away from 90 degrees off the polarized light source does light start to propagate through the filter with max transmission when the two polarized effects are lined up, say light polarized at zero degrees, like straight up and down, and the polarized filter is also in a position of zero degrees, maximum light will get through the filter. It's like that somewhat in the magnetic field of Earth. Except the vectors away from the maximum torque effect of the compass may still allow a decent reading since it doesn't take much to move the compass needle which is mounted on a point source bearing. So at mag north there would probably still be readings but unreliable since Earths field is not a solid uniform nature, it is very chaotic and mag north moves around slowly and magnetic compasses used for navigation need to be updated about every 10 years or so.

The thing about that, you may think I am talking out my ass about this but that was one of the things discussed at length during my year of electronics training when I was in the USAF, my job 'Bomb Nav mechanic' which included magnetic compass, airborne radar, and navigational computers. 4 years of that.

But given your MO, none of that will mean anything to you since you are very transparent and only wish to further you flass BS and nothing more. You clearly could care less about the actual science of magnetic fields, especially Earth's field.

If for some bizarre reason you are actually interested in what we actually know about Earth's field, go to this link and the image in the upper right corner shows the complexity of that field and you may notice some of the lines right on the north pole are going at right angles to Earth's surface instead of going straight up and down as the simplistic assumptions about that field are talked about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field

It shows what field lines would look like during the beginnings of the periodic polarity reversals of field lines. The fields of the north change from say going straight up and out the surface to going straight down and INTO the surface, where what we might call the north as a north pole of a magnet actually becomes a literal south pole and at the south pole THAT pole becomes a north pole for the time between field line reversals.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 May '17 14:41
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It is a lot more complex than the simplistic approach you clearly are supposing.
    The magnetic field of Earth is mind numbingly complex. The simulations of Earths magnetic field shows it to be twisted around like prezels inside Earth. What that means for Mag north is this: It is not a bunch of field lines shooting out of the ground. What it really is, is bi ...[text shortened]... ons about that field are talked about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_magnetic_field
    Was there an answer in there?
    I read the entire diatribe, but it's unclear what your answer is.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 May '17 14:461 edit
    So you clearly didn't understand a word I wrote. What you want is to have people fall over backwards and fall into your trap, that being, lets find any evidence we can to support your flass stance. You fool nobody. Like I said, you are not interested in actually learning about Earth's magnetic field, only in pushing your own agenda, doing that by implication that everthing we know about Earth's field is wrong.

So don't continue in your intellectual cowardice, tell us your real position and the real reason you are obliquely dissing science.

The fact you are pursuing this at all is an indication I got to you about Earth's magnetic field in the first place. You remember that right? Where I said unequivicably Earth's field goes out of the north pole or into it depending on what cycle the field is in, it reverses every ten thousand years or so, roughly, but it converges back in the south pole, something you CANNOT have if you are to have a flat earth, where the fields would instead converge on the 'edge' of Earth since there would be no south pole in your dream world.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 May '17 15:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So you clearly didn't understand a word I wrote. What you want is to have people fall over backwards and fall into your trap, that being, lets find any evidence we can to support your flass stance. You fool nobody. Like I said, you are not interested in actually learning about Earth's magnetic field, only in pushing your own agenda, doing that by implicatio ...[text shortened]... instead converge on the 'edge' of Earth since there would be no south pole in your dream world.
    Would you kindly repeat the answer portion of your response?
    What does the needle do?
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 May '17 15:19
    that's because you're dumb
  10. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    05 May '17 15:21
    It's a thought experiment; don't get your knickers in a wad.
    You're an idiot.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    05 May '17 15:22
    Would you kindly repeat the answer portion of your response?
    What does the needle do?
    http://bfy.tw/BcPK

on the infinitesimal chance that you're actually interested in learning, that link will help you.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 May '17 15:22
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that's because you're dumb
    Nailed it!

Now what's your answer, genius?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 May '17 15:393 edits
    It should be easy to simulate this "experiment" using a bar magnet and simple mechanical compass. Hold the bar magnet vertically and "hover" the compass above it, approaching the vertical axis of the bar magnet. The result will confirm that the compass pointer is itself a small magnet, and if it is held off-axis from the bar, one end of the compass will be attracted to the top of the bar. It will also be depressed -- attracted vertically -- if above the bar.

In a prefect experiment, if the axis of the bar is perfectly aligned with the axis around which the compass pointer rotates, and if the magnetic density of both magnets is uniform, the compass pointer direction should be :"indifferent" to the presence of the bar,wrt direction, but one end of the pointer will be attracted (depressed) toward the top of the bar, and the other end should be repelled. But the compass pointer will remain where it was just before perfect alignment was attained. If you physically move the pointer around the bar's axis, it will stay where you put it. (Edit: Depending on the strength of the bar's field, the compass's direction will be determined by the Earth's field.)

Try it. It will be awfully hard to hold the compass exactly on-axis to the bar, but this aspect could be improved somewhat by constructing an apparatus of some sort.

Next question?
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 May '17 16:15
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://bfy.tw/BcPK

on the infinitesimal chance that you're actually interested in learning, that link will help you.
    And on the less-than-infinitesimal chance that you read your own link, what is your conclusion?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 May '17 16:16
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    You're an idiot.
    Scathing.
    Got anything remotely helpful to add, My Little Pony?