Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Apr '17 04:18 / 1 edit
    How is your level of commitment? Your level of commitment determines what relationships you choose or not choose to have in life. This includes both human relationships and those with the supernatural.

To stay committed, one must abide by these three principles to stay committed. You stay committed because:

1. You want to
    2. You have a moral obligation to
    3. You feel forced to

In Western society with the divorce rate more than half, it is also easy to see why many have left the church. We live in a society where people think that if life becomes hard, they should find a new direction. Unfortunately, this in not conducive to a successful marriage, nor is it conducive to a successful relationship with God.

Jesus gave us two promises. He said that in this life you will endure hardships, but to be of good cheer because he has ultimately overcome the world.

"In the world you will have tribulation. But take courage; I have overcome the world!”
  2. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    24 Apr '17 05:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    How is your level of commitment? Your level of commitment determines what relationships you choose or not choose to have in life. This includes both human relationships and those with the supernatural.

To stay committed, one must abide by these three principles to stay committed. You stay committed because:

1. You want to
    2. You have a moral obli ...[text shortened]... world.

"In the world you will have tribulation. But take courage; I have overcome the world!”
    Commitment has connotations of throwing together, uniting, connecting, combining; bringing together.
    Perhaps you're going for the promise angle?

I suggest that our society is one of the most committed societies in history; the problem is we have made promises only to ourselves.
    The relationships we enter into on our own accord more because we think they'll do something for us individually, instead of what we will do for the other.
    When objective, transcendent truth is eliminated, the only truth left is... us.
  3. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    24 Apr '17 06:51 / 2 edits

1. You want to

1. You want to
    3. You feel forced to

I think this is the wrong forum for this post as this should be in the spirituality forum. However, I'll bite anyway. There are several things to address here. First, you are assuming that all are Christians, and many are not. As Christians we know that we are to attempt to do everything possible to make a marriage work and then some. However, Jesus did say that we can divorce our spouses for martial unfaithfulness. In the Greek translations this covers much more than just sexual unfaithfulness. This can include physical abuse, a drunkard or drug addict who will not quit using and is destroying their marriage from the drug abuse, sexual abuse, and other such instances. This is all martial unfaithfulness. Does this mean that the moment something goes wrong in these areas that we should run out and get a divorce? No! As Christians we are to love our spouse and do everything possible to love them and help them get back on track with God. Number 3 on you list is not true. God does not usually force anyone to do anything. The only instance that I can presently think of where God forced someone to do something, was with the Prophet Jonah which, is a rare case.
    In Western society with the divorce rate more than half, it is also easy to see why many have left the church. We live in a society where people think that if life becomes hard, they should find a new direction. Unfortunately, this in not conducive to a successful marriage, nor is it conducive to a successful relationship with God.
    Personally, I think the majority of people that leave the church, or never become a Christian, is mostly due to terrible Christian leaders, false prophets and teachers; and, false, hateful, judgmental Christians, that are led by these supposed Christian leaders. Jesus called them (the religious leaders of His day) a "Brood of Vipers." If one hears nothing but how God hates them and that they are going to hell, fire, and brimstone because they are sinners; which we all are, then why try? Even non-Christians know that if there is a God, that this is not Him. So why would they want to join a group of people who show nothing but hate, judgment, and no love. If the Love of Christ is not preached and shown, then we are only a sounding gong or cymbal. We are to tell the lost How much God loves them and how He wishes them to come to Him. Not that God hates us for being sinners, which He does not. Jesus came and died for us even though we all are sinners because He loves us all that much.
    Jesus gave us two promises. He said that in this life you will endure hardships, but to be of good cheer because he has ultimately overcome the world.

Jesus gives us several promises. These are just two good ones. As far as non-Christians, Christians are not to judge those outside of the church. Paul is very clear on this in 1st Corinthians 5: 9–13. We are to preach the Love of Christ and lead the lost to His salvation. As Christians, we are only to judge those inside the church who claim to be Christians but their actions clearly show otherwise. Trump and many republicans that claim to be Christians are good examples.
    We are always to show the love of God to the lost. Which includes showing them respect; not hate. We should always be willing to have all types join our churches with open arms. It is Jesus who will clean them up over time; not us. We are just here to love them and help them along anyway we can without being used and abused. It's called loving thy neighbor. Not just our Christian neighbors, all neighbors. I could go on but I am running out of space. Thoughts?
  4. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    24 Apr '17 13:36

1. You want to

How is your level of commitment?

Why don't you ask Donald Dumph that question. While that horrible Kenyan born Muslim Obama has managed to stay happily married to his first wife for over 20 years our fine Christian, all American, President Dumph is now on wife #4 (or is it 5?)
  5. 24 Apr '17 13:38
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Commitment has connotations of throwing together, uniting, connecting, combining; bringing together.
    Perhaps you're going for the promise angle?

I suggest that our society is one of the most committed societies in history; the problem is we have made promises only to ourselves.
    The relationships we enter into on our own accord more because we t ...[text shortened]... for the other.
    When objective, transcendent truth is eliminated, the only truth left is... us.
    Exactly. The type of relationships many seek only want to benefit themselves. It is much like the political relationships we see today. As they say, politics makes strange bed fellows. You have the Amish coming out in mass to vote for Trump who had lived his life being a worldly, greedy, womanizer. Then you have gays in San Fran protesting against Israel in support of Muslims who would just as soon kill them for being gay.

Very odd. But at the end of the day, the relationship vanishes into thin air as soon as they deem that relationship is no longer beneficial, or if it causes undo hardships......which it will eventually.
  6. 24 Apr '17 13:44
    Originally posted by mchill
    How is your level of commitment?

Why don't you ask Donald Dumph that question. While that horrible Kenyan born Muslim Obama has managed to stay happily married to his first wife for over 20 years our fine Christian, all American, President Dumph is now on wife #4 (or is it 5?)
    My level of commitment seems to be a tad bit better.

However, Trump is far more rich than myself.

So who should celebrate here? Me or Trump?
  7. 24 Apr '17 13:50 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]To stay committed, one must abide by these three principles to stay committed. You stay committed because:
    1. You want to
    3. You feel forced to

I think this is the wrong forum for this post as this should be in the spirituality forum. However, I'll bite anyway. There are several things to address here. ...[text shortened]... our Christian neighbors, all neighbors. I could go on but I am running out of space. Thoughts?[/b]
    You are correct, Jesus only seemed to be critical of the religious leaders. Those who were lost sinners were expected to have their lives in shambles, but those who thought themselves so much better were blind to their lives being in shambles as well, with the added problem of trying to sell the antidote that they themselves needed, only did not see it as such.

Feel free to rag on Trump and the GOP but I hardly would call either Christian.

So what of leaders? Leaders need to be committed as well. No one remains a leader for long if they are not privy to the pit falls that will surely come. I once heard a pastor say that there are three pitfalls to leaders. They are sex, arrogance, and greed. The religious leaders of Jesus day seem to have fallen into the arrogance and greed trap, but some manage to defy the odds and avoid all three for the most part. For example, Nicodemus seemed to be a religious leader of integrity during the time of Jesus.
  8. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    24 Apr '17 15:11
    My level of commitment seems to be a tad bit better.

However, Trump is far more rich than myself.

You couldn't pay me enough to celebrate Dumph. You I don't know about.
  9. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    24 Apr '17 15:31 / 7 edits
    You are correct, Jesus only seemed to be critical of the religious leaders. Those who were lost sinners were expected to have their lives in shambles, but those who thought themselves so much better were blind to their lives being in shambles as well, with the added problem of trying to sell the antidote that they themselves needed, only did not see it as su ...[text shortened]... . For example, Nicodemus seemed to be a religious leader of integrity during the time of Jesus.
    Feel free to rag on Trump and the GOP but I hardly would call either Christian.
    I agree that they are not Christian. However, many of them claim to be Christians to obtain the supposed Christian vote. All they have to do is say that they are anti-abortion and most supposed Christians will vote for them these days no matter what they say or do; As Trump did. Stupid sheep. Then, theses leaders twist the meaning of Scriptures to attack the poor and working classes and even their followers to align their pockets with cash and power. Non- Christians see this and want nothing to do with being a Christian. This goes for many other Christian leaders also. Prosperity doctrines, what a lying joke.
    So what of leaders? Leaders need to be committed as well. No one remains a leader for long if they are not privy to the pit falls that will surely come. I once heard a pastor say that there are three pitfalls to leaders. They are sex, arrogance, and greed. The religious leaders of Jesus day seem to have fallen into the arrogance and greed trap, but some manage to defy the odds and avoid all three for the most part. For example, Nicodemus seemed to be a religious leader of integrity during the time of Jesus.
    Well we do not know if the Pharisees fell into the sex trap or not. I'm sure some did. The other two they definitely fell into. There is a fourth pitfall leaders fall into and that is
    the need for power; power over others that makes one feel like a god. Many Pharisees fell into that trap also. This is one reason why the Pharisees hated Jesus so much, because the people were now following Jesus and not them any longer. Which also hurt their pocket books. Nicodemus did seem to come to Christ as he payed for the extremely expensive burial of Jesus after He was crucified (notice the wealth). However, Nicodemus would only come to talk with Jesus at night and he always hid himself in fear of being seen with Jesus. He was fearful of being found out that he was A christian. What is it he was afraid of losing? His wealth? political power and status? his comfy life? Me thinks all three; just like the other Pharisees. However we really do not know. All we know is, that he was afraid to be seen with Jesus. Which, makes me question the depth of his integrity and Christianity to some extent. One has to remember that many of the non-Christian people and non-Jewish people in the Bible had great integrity and were people of their words. Much more than most Christians today. Food for thought.
  10. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    24 Apr '17 18:57 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]Feel free to rag on Trump and the GOP but I hardly would call either Christian.
    I agree that they are not Christian. However, many of them claim to be Christians to obtain the supposed Christian vote. All they have to do is say that they are anti-abortion and most supposed Christians will vote for them these days no matter what they say or do; ...[text shortened]... egrity and were people of their words. Much more than most Christians today. Food for thought.[/b]
    (John 19:38-42 NKJV) 38 After this, Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate gave [him] permission. So he came and took the body of Jesus. 39 And Nicodemus, who at first came to Jesus by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds. 40 Then they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury. 41 Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid. 42 So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews' Preparation [Day], for the tomb was nearby. After I did a little further study, it appears that Nicodemus was afraid to be seen or associated with Jesus because he feared persecution from the other Jewish leaders. It was the same case with Joseph of Arimathea who was also a Pharisee turned Christian in secret for fear of persecution. These two wealthy Pharisees turned Christian are the ones who paid for and buried Jesus. I looked into the history of Joseph of Arimathea and he was always known as a good man full of integrity, even when he was a non-Christian Pharisee. Nicodemus was Jerusalem's most outstanding Bible teacher and a member of the Jewish Ruling Council. Only the High Priest gained more recognition in the capital city than Nicodemus. Both Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea hid their association with Jesus until Christ was Crucified. Then Nicodemus openly bought all the spices and perfumes for the burial and he and Joseph of Arimathea openly buried Jesus in the tomb. So, you are correct, there was some Pharisees and religious leaders with integrity during the time of Jesus; and, these two righteous men both became Christians. I'm fairly certain that they both saw Jesus after He Resurrected from the dead also.