Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    08 Dec '16 07:07 / 1 edit
    As I watched the CNN news clip of Trump being slated by Robert Reich for being petty, 'vindictive and thin skinned', doing the rounds on social media this morning; it occurred to me that Trump's behaviour could get him killed. I mean, you yanks do love a good assassination and you haven't had one for more than half a century.
  2. 08 Dec '16 07:23
    Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. A prime candidate would be a disgruntled white supremacist angry that there are still black people around who are not in chains.
  3. 08 Dec '16 08:31 / 2 edits
    The reality is that assassinating a president is likely to get you killed, so you don't attempt it unless you are a hired hand willing to risk all for a big payout, or you are suicidal.
    We must remember too that many of the extremists in the US hated Obama but didn't attempt to assassinate him (that we know of).

    I do think it highly likely that he will not make the full four years. The republicans themselves will probably try to get rid of him (legally, not by assassination)
  4. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    08 Dec '16 10:02
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As I watched the CNN news clip of Trump being slated by Robert Reich for being petty, 'vindictive and thin skinned', doing the rounds on social media this morning; it occurred to me that Trump's behaviour could get him killed. I mean, you yanks do love a good assassination and you haven't had one for more than half a century.
    My position is that Trump's pick of Mike Pence as VP makes him practically unimpeachable for liberals (and thus unlikely to be assassinated by a liberal), as Trump is an unknown, but Pence is a hardline Republican who would be worse for this country than even Trump.

    As far as the redneck contingent, who knows what they could be thinking? They certainly weren't thinking on Nov. 8th.

    As far as the twenty-year cyclical pattern of presidents in this country "dying in office" started by William Henry Harrison in 1841, Ronald Reagan broke the curse in 1981 when he survived his assassin's bullet.
  5. 08 Dec '16 10:22 / 1 edit
    It seems Trump is playing along with the establishment so the people who got to Reagan will probably leave Trump alone.

    But then again if he plays hard ball with China someone might push the button on him.

    The other possibility is a leftwing nut job, like so many around here, who believes Trump really lost and does not deserve to be president.

    Having said all that, Trump reminds me of Vito and I am sure the family will protect him.
  6. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    08 Dec '16 11:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As I watched the CNN news clip of Trump being slated by Robert Reich for being petty, 'vindictive and thin skinned', doing the rounds on social media this morning; it occurred to me that Trump's behaviour could get him killed. I mean, you yanks do love a good assassination and you haven't had one for more than half a century.
    Possible, but doubtful. Trump may indeed be the classic "ugly American" i.e. Arrogant, loud, pushy, disrespectful, overweight, and an ego the size of the known universe, but security around the President is pretty tight. It looks like we're stuck with him for a few years. I would add Hillary Clinton may not have been much better.
  7. 08 Dec '16 12:36
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As I watched the CNN news clip of Trump being slated by Robert Reich for being petty, 'vindictive and thin skinned', doing the rounds on social media this morning; it occurred to me that Trump's behaviour could get him killed. I mean, you yanks do love a good assassination and you haven't had one for more than half a century.
    and have pence as president?
  8. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    08 Dec '16 12:54
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It seems Trump is playing along with the establishment so the people who got to Reagan will probably leave Trump alone.

    But then again if he plays hard ball with China someone might push the button on him.

    The other possibility is a leftwing nut job, like so many around here, who believes Trump really lost and does not deserve to be president.

    Having said all that, Trump reminds me of Vito and I am sure the family will protect him.
    I too was thinking China or some other major power with dubious political subculture.
    It certainly won't be a rogue KKK member nor a bunch of disenfranchised libs having a whip-round for a killer down the wine-bar.

    Yes the likelihood of a president getting assassinated is low but this boy is already looking to me like someone asking for a "grassy knoll" experience.
  9. Subscriber divegeester
    Nice suit...
    08 Dec '16 12:55
    Originally posted by mchill
    Possible, but doubtful. Trump may indeed be the classic "ugly American" i.e. Arrogant, loud, pushy, disrespectful, overweight, and an ego the size of the known universe, but security around the President is pretty tight. It looks like we're stuck with him for a few years. I would add Hillary Clinton may not have been much better.
    Clinton is a politician, she may be corrupt, vain and disingenuous, but she not a loon.
  10. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    08 Dec '16 13:26
    Oh, I certainly hope he does get gunned down, but not until his 3rd or 4th year... we need him to rip the US a second bum-hole first.

    Don't kill the comedian until after the show!
  11. 08 Dec '16 13:55
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Oh, I certainly hope he does get gunned down, but not until his 3rd or 4th year... we need him to rip the US a second bum-hole first.

    Don't kill the comedian until after the show!
    They will have to take out his kids as well or the world will end up a dynasty of president trump's.
  12. 08 Dec '16 14:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As I watched the CNN news clip of Trump being slated by Robert Reich for being petty, 'vindictive and thin skinned', doing the rounds on social media this morning; it occurred to me that Trump's behaviour could get him killed. I mean, you yanks do love a good assassination and you haven't had one for more than half a century.
    Just as long as he does not do anything as foolish as JFK, like singing Executive Order 11110 to do away with the Fed, he will be just fine.
  13. 08 Dec '16 14:18
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Clinton is a politician, she may be corrupt, vain and disingenuous, but she not a loon.
    You repeatedly underestimate Trump, much like the rest of the world and even myself.
  14. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    08 Dec '16 14:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    As I watched the CNN news clip of Trump being slated by Robert Reich for being petty, 'vindictive and thin skinned', doing the rounds on social media this morning; it occurred to me that Trump's behaviour could get him killed. I mean, you yanks do love a good assassination and you haven't had one for more than half a century.
    Assassinations are a little harder than they used to be. The secret service has gotten pretty good.

    Anyway, the targets of Trump's recent Twitter rants have been media members, comedians and politicians; hardly the kinds of people who are likely to be assassins.
  15. 08 Dec '16 14:51
    Originally posted by whodey
    You repeatedly underestimate Trump, much like the rest of the world and even myself.
    I don't think Trump has been underestimated at all - people just overestimated the American electorate.