Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 10 Jun '10 17:59
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285332/Follow-Islamic-way-save-world-Charles-urges-environmentalists.html#comments

Prince Charles yesterday urged the world to follow Islamic "spiritual principles" in order to protect the environment. In an hour-long speech, the heir to the throne argued that man's destruction of the world was contrary to the scriptures of all religions -- but particularly those of Islam. He said the current "division" between man and nature had been caused not just by industrialization, but also by our attitude to the environment -- which goes against the grain of "sacred traditions". Charles, who is a practising Christian, and will become the head of the Church of England when he succeeds to the throne, spoke in depth about his own study of the Koran which, he said, tells its followers that there is "no seperation between man and nature" and ways we must always live within our environment's limits. The prince was speaking to an audiance of scholars at the Oxford Centre for Islamic studies -- which attempts to encourage a better understanding of the culture and civilization of the religion. His speech, merging religion with his other favorite subject, the environment, marked the 25th anniversary of the organization, of which he is patron. He added, "The inconveniente truth is that we share this planet with the rest of creation for a very good reason -- and that is, we cannot exist on our own without the intricately balanced web of life around us. "Islam has always taught this and to ignore that lesson is to default on our contract with creation."

2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    10 Jun '10 18:02
    Now that is an American thing for the Prince to say. I am impressed.

All peoples are spiritual and have an understanding of the idea of natural rights. They express them differently sometimes though. Islam is just one way of expressing these ideas.
  3. 10 Jun '10 18:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285332/Follow-Islamic-way-save-world-Charles-urges-environmentalists.html#comments

Prince Charles yesterday urged the world to follow Islamic "spiritual principles" in order to protect the environment. In an hour-long speech, the heir to the throne argued that man's destruction of the world was contrary to the scri ...[text shortened]... his and to ignore that lesson is to default on our contract with creation."

He seems to have a very enlightened view on the subject, I don't see why you'd want to criticize or ridicule his remarks.
  4. 10 Jun '10 18:25 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Now that is an American thing for the Prince to say. I am impressed.

All peoples are spiritual and have an understanding of the idea of natural rights. They express them differently sometimes though. Islam is just one way of expressing these ideas.
    Of course, they are the politically correct thing to say, especially in light of where he was speaking. However, how is Islam "environment friendly"? In fact, how is any religion environment freindly? Unfortunatly, we have no idea why Islam is so much better in this regard. Since you applaud the comments I would assume you have the answers.

Edit: I now know why my forfathers fled the Church of England for the "New World".
  5. 10 Jun '10 18:29
    Of course, they are the politically correct thing to say, especially in light of where he was speaking. However, how is Islam "environment friendly"? In fact, how is any religion environment freindly? Unfortunatly, we have no idea why Islam is so much better in this regard. Since you applaud the comments I would assume you have the answers.

Edit: I now know why my forfathers fled the Church of England for the "New World".
    So they could wear smug white sheets?
  6. 10 Jun '10 18:29
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    So they could wear smug white sheets?
    Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!!
  7. 10 Jun '10 20:56 / 1 edit
    I think it obvious to all that the royal family is but a joke. They are nothing but PR people for the nation of England who's lifestyled as bought and payed for by the tax payeres of the UK. All this represents is a PR job between the nation of England and Islam.

Edit; Being a great environmentalist, I wonder what Prince Charles take is on the BP disaster? LOL.
  8. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    10 Jun '10 22:57
    Being a great environmentalist, I wonder what Prince Charles take is on the BP disaster?
    I'm fairly sure he'd be disappointed with the damage the disaster has done to the environment.
  9. 11 Jun '10 00:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm fairly sure he'd be disappointed with the damage the disaster has done to the environment.
    I've looked for quotes about the BP disaster but all I could find were his dire warnings about global warming and his push for cap and trade. If you can find some that would be great. As for myself, I doubt that the Prince is much in the position of discussing such a "hot potato". He is much more adept at pitching politically correct propoganda that does not refelct poorly upon the powers that afford him such a pleasant and carefree life.
  10. 11 Jun '10 12:37
    I've looked for quotes about the BP disaster but all I could find were his dire warnings about global warming and his push for cap and trade. If you can find some that would be great. As for myself, I doubt that the Prince is much in the position of discussing such a "hot potato". He is much more adept at pitching politically correct propoganda that does not refelct poorly upon the powers that afford him such a pleasant and carefree life.
    Green eyes?
  11. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    11 Jun '10 13:55

Prince Charles yesterday urged the world to follow Islamic "spiritual principles" in order to protect the environment. In an hour-long speech, the heir to the throne argued that man's destruction of the world was contrary to the scri ...[text shortened]... his and to ignore that lesson is to default on our contract with creation."

Part of the western world's failing on environmental issues can be traced in part to its Christian heritage. Many people take the words from Genesis as a divine licence to dominate and exploit nature. This has led to a dualistic outlook, with mankind seen as being separate from nature and in opposition to it. This contrasts with a Buddhist outlook, for example, which sees man as being an interconnected part of nature. I don't know enough about Islam, though, to comment on their environmental outlook.

Gen 1:26-30
    Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth." And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.
  12. 11 Jun '10 16:20
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Part of the western world's failing on environmental issues can be traced in part to its Christian heritage. Many people take the words from Genesis as a divine licence to dominate and exploit nature. This has led to a dualistic outlook, with mankind seen as being separate from nature and in opposition to it. This contrasts with a Buddhist outlook, for exam ...[text shortened]... has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.[/quote]
    Part of the western world's failing on environmental issues can be traced in part to its Christian heritage

this is pretty far-fetched, even by your standards.

Many people take the words from Genesis as a divine licence to dominate and exploit nature

yeah Im sure thats what BP (and any other company responsible for environmental disasters) had as an inspiration for all those years
  13. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    11 Jun '10 16:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Part of the western world's failing on environmental issues can be traced in part to its Christian heritage. Many people take the words from Genesis as a divine licence to dominate and exploit nature. This has led to a dualistic outlook, with mankind seen as being separate from nature and in opposition to it. This contrasts with a Buddhist outlook, for exam has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.[/quote]
    Ah, that lovely target "the western world" and its awful Christian heritage. How are Buddhist countries doing in terms of pollution?

Of course, Western corruption of Buddhist values, what was I thinking!
  14. 11 Jun '10 17:10
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Ah, that lovely target "the western world" and its awful Christian heritage. How are Buddhist countries doing in terms of pollution?

Of course, Western corruption of Buddhist values, what was I thinking!
    Ouch!!
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    11 Jun '10 19:44
    I've looked for quotes about the BP disaster but all I could find were his dire warnings about global warming and his push for cap and trade. If you can find some that would be great.
    So you have concluded that Prince Charles is not appaled by the BP disaster?