Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 05:03
    Duchy responds with accusations and ad hominem. He can't defend his initial point. He can't stick to the thread.

This is what constitutes real trolling, ladies and gentlemen.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Sep '18 19:29
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Use of force? Rape?

I never said anything about that. Duchess is assuming without cause and falsely accusing me of sexism.
    MetalBrain fails to comprehend how misleadingly (at best) he wrote.

MetalBrain quoted with evident approval this by Heather MacDonald:
    "This idea that we’re living through an epidemic of *campus rape* is simply hallucinatory..."

"Women are reporting IT more than they used to ..."
    --MetalBrain

Every sensible reader would believe that MetalBrain's 'it' refers to 'campus rape'
    (or rape in general) in the statement that he quoted immediately before it.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 11:15
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    [b]Deflection, deflection, deflection!

As usual, Duchy is deflecting, and he is teaming up with Kazet Nagorra, a famous far left guy, to advance some narrative that Breitbart is an extreme right wing site that is totally biased and incapable of even bringing up a point for conversation.

This idea is patently absurd.

Oh, sure, ...[text shortened]... his on a level where we actually discuss the issue?

Or are you going to DEFLECT still?[/b]
    Every word she wrote in her reply to you is true.

You're the one who took what she wrote and veered off into your own right-leaning tirade.

If anyone "deflected without engaging the content", it was you with this post, whining about her not engaging. She did engage your content. She rightfully called it absurd.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 11:17
    Duchy responds with accusations and ad hominem. He can't defend his initial point. He can't stick to the thread.

This is what constitutes real trolling, ladies and gentlemen.
    I would submit that you, calling her "he", are the real troll here.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 11:222 edits
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Yes and no.
    Women are reporting it more than they used to, but some women are also getting more hypersensitive about stuff they should not, especially if the man is ugly. They will tolerate the same stuff from a handsome man that they will not with unattractive men. SNL once did a skit about it and there is some truth to it.
    Rape is rape, and, whether the man be attractive or ugly, is still illegal. The difference is that more women are standing up for themselves and having the courage to not just be silent and take it.

You sound like one of these 'red pill' idiots who can't get laid, and so take it out on the women.
  6. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 12:05
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I know nothing about duchy.

I know that "duchess" is theoretically indicates womanhood, but that is not always true.

Take Agent Sterling Archer, for instance: his nickname was Duchess.

That is what I think of when I speak to Duchess. Just another man with the nickname Duchess.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 13:05
    I know nothing about duchy.

I know that "duchess" is theoretically indicates womanhood, but that is not always true.

Take Agent Sterling Archer, for instance: his nickname was Duchess.

That is what I think of when I speak to Duchess. Just another man with the nickname Duchess.
    If someone identifies as female, you should go with that.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:03
    Originally posted by @suzianne to Philokalia
    No worries. I just translate 'he' into a language with gender-neutral third person pronouns.

"Some languages of the world (including Austronesian languages, many East Asian languages,
    the Quechuan languages, and the Uralic languages[6]) do not have gender distinctions
    in personal pronouns, just as most of them lack any system of grammatical gender."
    --Wikipedia

Adopting gender-neutral pronouns would avoid conflicts over which pronouns to apply to transgender people.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/12/new-yorkers-to-get-third-gender-option-on-birth-certificates

"New Yorkers to get third gender option on birth certificates
    A new bill is aimed at adults who don’t identify as either male or female and would prefer
    to be categorized as X."
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:11
    Originally posted by @suzianne to MetalBrain
    Rape is rape, and, whether the man be attractive or ugly, is still illegal. The difference is that more women are standing up for themselves and having the courage to not just be silent and take it.

You sound like one of these 'red pill' idiots who can't get laid, and so take it out on the women.
    In rape trials, some defense lawyers like to argue that the accused man is so attractive,
    successful, or popular that he did not have to rape the woman who's accusing him of it.
    He supposedly could win about every woman whom he desired without having to use force.
    This absurd argument keeps being made presumably because it appeals to enough jurors.

I have wondered about the psychology of men who make comments like Metal Brain's.
    My hypothesis is that such a man may be sexually frustrated and fantasizes that if he
    were good-looking (or rich) enough, then he could enjoy forcing himself upon attractive
    women who would not complain about it, at least not to the police.

When Donald Trump said that because he's rich and famous, he can grab a woman's
    private parts and she will put up with it, his boast appeals to envious insecure men.
  10. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    14 Sep '18 23:33
    Duchy, what is your preferred pronoun?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:04
    I wonder if the person thumbing down my posts in this thread has enough guts to come forward and explain why.

No doubt, yet another 'rape apologist', as disgusting as it is wrong.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:22
    "If someone identifies as female, you should go with that."
    --Ghost of a Duke (to Philokalia)

Why does Philokalia seem too obtuse to grasp that explanation?

And I never have intentionally misspelled Philokalia's handle. Why can't Jacob respect mine?
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:24
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I wonder if the person thumbing down my posts in this thread has enough guts to come forward and explain why.

No doubt, yet another 'rape apologist', as disgusting as it is wrong.
    I have noticed that some (if not many) of my posts get 'thumbed down' before it seems
    humanly possible to read them completely. On more than a few occasions, I have
    noticed a 'thumbs down' appear before I could even reread the first draft of my post.
  14. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:27
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "If someone identifies as female, you should go with that."
    --Ghost of a Duke (to Philokalia)

Why does Philokalia seem too obtuse to grasp that explanation?

And I never have intentionally misspelled Philokalia's handle. Why can't Jacob respect mine?
    I will not be obtuse about this, and I will take this as you telling us that you are a female... Or, in y our words, that you "identify as female."

OK.

Sure.

I will consciously use she/her with you.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    15 Sep '18 00:28
    Context is everything (alluding to 'Image is everything' --Andre Agassi advertisement)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosism

"Similar to the editorial "we", pluralis modestiae is the practice common in mathematical
    and scientific literature of referring to a generic third person by we (instead of the more
    common one or the informal you."