Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 18:361 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    America really is doomed....

..and if that's not bad enough, large orange frogs are invading Cleveland, officials fear the worst !! 😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲
    The plagues have begun.

No doubt because of global warming.

Well at least we both concede the world is coming to a close, albeit, for different reasons.

I suppose our only hope are carbon taxes.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 18:43
    The US government is a total joke. It is run completely by the establishment which explains why Obama got his policies funded by Republicans.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 19:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The US government is a total joke. It is run completely by the establishment which explains why Obama got his policies funded by Republicans.
    Ironically that is also caused by global warming.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 20:262 edits
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Yale students, "the best and the brightest", ....
    Firstly, as already pointed out by others, they are decidedly not the 'best and the brightest'. Secondly, being bright does not equate to being wise. Wait till they have at least graduated then we might consider their opinions worth something. I know for a fact that when I was starting out at university my political opinions were not worth a whole lot nor well informed (and I was amongst the best and the brightest in my country). The university experience helped to some extent, but it was only once I had a few years working experience that I really started to understand such things.

Think of it this way: if they had asked the best and the brightest kindergarden students the same thing, would the first amendment still be at risk?
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 21:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    So what segment of society do you think are better educated than students at Yale?

It seems like they are the parrot in the cave.
    The students at Yale, are much like students anywhere else, who presume that with four years of college, they have almost all the knowledge humans have accumulated over millenniums. They learn shortly, that they've just begun, and wisdom is a long ways off.

Another thing to consider is that people at that age are likely to be participants in the electoral process at much lower percentages than older citizens.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 21:21
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The students at Yale, are much like students anywhere else, who presume that with four years of college, they have almost all the knowledge humans have accumulated over millenniums. They learn shortly, that they've just begun, and wisdom is a long ways off.

Another thing to consider is that people at that age are likely to be participants in the electoral process at much lower percentages than older citizens.
    Except in Europe of course, where they receive super duper intellectual training far superior to Americans.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 22:23
    Except in Europe of course, where they receive super duper intellectual training far superior to Americans.
    Even most European students soon learn the limits of what they learn in their classes.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 22:40
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    Whodey it is hard to say if they are just stupid or if they want a totalitarian government. I have seen these kind of petitions where the students were signing a petition to ban the use of water. My guess if a person worded it right, a person could successfully get college students to ban anything. There is little teaching of the constitution in public schools now days, and is one of the key dumbing down of America programs.
    LOL ya mean this call to ban dihydrogen monoxide?
    https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/dhmo.htm
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    19 Dec '15 22:49
    Left or right, who cares?

Both are collectivist ideologies hell bent on firm centralized government control. They really is not much difference between the two.
    I think left-wingers and right-wingers should both be called left-wingers
    (or right-wingers) so that this point can be made clear to everyone.

Otherwise most people (apart from free-thinkers like whodey) will be
    very confused by having two-labels for the same thing. Then people
    who are not left-wingers or right-wingers can simply be called "not left-winger"
    (or "not right-winger" depending on which nomenclature you adopt)

Simple.
  10. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 01:40
    Is this guy serious, or just seriously maladjusted?
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 02:05
    Is this guy serious, or just seriously maladjusted?
    This is the kind of thing I was referring to when I said, "Their minds have been propagandized by the radical left."

The dihydrogen monoxide hoax involves calling water by the unfamiliar chemical name "dihydrogen monoxide" (DHMO), and listing some of water's effects in an alarming manner, such as the fact that it accelerates corrosion and can cause severe burns. The hoax often calls for dihydrogen monoxide to be regulated, labeled as hazardous, or banned. It illustrates how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.

The hoax gained renewed popularity in the late 1990s when a 14-year-old student collected anti-DHMO petitions for a science project about gullibility. The story has since been used in science education to encourage critical thinking, and avoid the appeal to nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 06:39
    Yes, the first amendment is at risk. Trump may be elected.
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 23:08
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Yes, the first amendment is at risk. Trump may be elected.
    I suspect that any Democrat is more a threat to free speech than Trump, or any Republican. Why? Well almost any sane and observant person can see that the big, establishment media is in the pocket of Democrats. That media really doesn't want competition from other media, such as internet or talk radio.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Dec '15 23:17
    I suspect that any Democrat is more a threat to free speech than Trump, or any Republican. Why? Well almost any sane and observant person can see that the big, establishment media is in the pocket of Democrats. That media really doesn't want competition from other media, such as internet or talk radio.
    So true.
  15. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Dec '15 05:25
    Yep. Um I is a kolij Bowy. Ims redy ta sine petishuns!!! Aint I smart.