Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 04 Apr '11 05:02
    Some of you may remember this quote by John Bolton.

“ There is no such thing as the United Nations. There is only the international community, which can only be led by the only remaining superpower, which is the United States." He also stated that "The Secretariat Building in New York has 38 stories. If you lost ten stories today, it wouldn't make a bit of difference."

Ivory Coast had it's last elections certified by the UN, yet the UN does nothing. The USA always takes the lead if intervention happens. If the USA does not take the lead countries like Ivory Coast, Yemen and Bahrain are ignored.

Does Bolton have a point? What good is the UN?
  2. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Apr '11 05:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Ivory Coast had it's last elections certified by the UN, yet the UN does nothing. The USA always takes the lead if intervention happens. If the USA does not take the lead countries like Ivory Coast, Yemen and Bahrain are ignored.
    The BBC reports that the main airport, which had been secured by UN troops since Friday, is now under the control of French troops, allowing it to re-open. You claim the UN has done nothing. Not so. You claim the USA always takes the lead if intervention happens. Not so. Has the USA intervened in the Ivory Coast? No, the French have in cooperation with the UN. You say, "...if the USA does not take the lead countries like Ivory Coast [...] are ignored". What?
  3. 04 Apr '11 08:18 / 2 edits
    UNOCI, the UN peacekeeping mission in Ivory Coast, has been active since the end of the previous civil war in 2004. How is that "doing nothing"?

There are 8,000 troops under the UNOCI mandate from 41 countries (not including the US). In addition, there are 4,000 French troops under French command.
  4. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    04 Apr '11 08:55
    Don't quotes from famous people trump facts?
  5. 04 Apr '11 11:43 / 1 edit

“ There is no such thing as the United Nations. There is only the international community, which can only be led by the only remaining superpower, which is the United States." He also stated that "The Secretariat Building in New York has 38 stories. If you lost ten stories today, it wouldn't make a b ory Coast, Yemen and Bahrain are ignored.

What good are they?

It gives US presidents the international authority to unilaterally attack oil rich countries that they wish to control. Outside of that nothing thus far.
  6. 04 Apr '11 11:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    The BBC reports that the main airport, which had been secured by UN troops since Friday, is now under the control of French troops, allowing it to re-open. You claim the UN has done nothing. Not so. You claim the USA always takes the lead if intervention happens. Not so. Has the USA intervened in the Ivory Coast? No, the French have in cooperation with the UN. Y ...[text shortened]... ay, "...if the USA does not take the lead countries like Ivory Coast [...] are ignored". What?
    Yep, and the UN took the lead in saving the poor Sudanese during their genocide saving millions!! NOT!!!

Oops, my bad.

If I were the Sudnese and wanted international help, I would have started to drill for oil. It may have been a long shot, but if you defy the odds and hit a gusher help would be on the way!!
  7. 04 Apr '11 11:52
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yep, and the UN took the lead in saving the poor Sudanese during their genocide saving millions!! NOT!!!

Oops, my bad.

If I were the Sudnese and wanted international help, I would have started to drill for oil. It may have been a long shot, but if you defy the odds and hit a gusher help would be on the way!!
    There are currently two UN peacekeeping missions in Sudan. UNMIS (up to 10,000 troops), set up after the civil war, and UNAMID (around 15,000 troops), set up in the wake of the Darfur conflict in cooperation with the African Union.

By the way, Sudan has significant oil reserves, especially in the South.
  8. 04 Apr '11 11:56 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]There are currently two UN peacekeeping missions in Sudan. UNMIS (up to 10,000 troops), set up after the civil war,
    I love it when the Libyan conflict is not deemed a civil war, rather, it is a mass killing. However, millions die in the Sudan via genocide and it is called a civil war.

As far as them coming after the fact, thanks for that UN'ers!! Pfftt!!

Face it, the UN has no credibility. Not even a sliver.
  9. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Apr '11 12:02
    Yep, and the UN took the lead in saving the poor Sudanese during their genocide saving millions!! NOT!!![...] If I were the Sudnese and wanted international help, I would have started to drill for oil. It may have been a long shot, but if you defy the odds and hit a gusher help would be on the way!!
    Are you claiming that oil drilling is an important aspect of the Ivory Coast's economy? Because it isn't. And are you claiming that Sudan doesn't have any oil - or that, if it did, people would take more notice? Because that's not so either. It's a major producer and exporter of oil. So where does that leave your theory and analysis about the role of oil?

Of course your posts on these serious topics are always dripping with a kind of inane sarcasm. So perhaps no one is supposed to take your seriously. Maybe you're happy that way. But what are you on about with your emoticon-strewn stuff about "if [Sudan] defies the odds and hits a gusher"? Do you know anything at all about the Sudanese economy? Do you know anything at all about the topic of this thread and about the Ivory Coast's economy?
  10. 04 Apr '11 12:05
    I love it when the Libyan conflict is not deemed a civil war, rather, it is a mass killing. However, millions die in the Sudan via genocide and it is called a civil war.

As far as them coming after the fact, thanks for that UN'ers!! Pfftt!!

Face it, the UN has no credibility. Not even a sliver.
    The UN is a mishmash of different bureaucratic institutions and representatives of various countries. It is a diplomatic forum, a seat for various humanitarian aid and research organizations and a banner under which various peacekeeping missions operate. It is not a single entity operated by a single person or a small group of people. Both Sudanese missions were approved by the Security Council. Their mandate depends on the approval of the Council's members.
  11. Standard member smw6869
    Granny
    04 Apr '11 18:12

“ There is no such thing as the United Nations. There is only the international community, which can only be led by the only remaining superpower, which is the United States." He also stated that "The Secretariat Building in New York has 38 stories. If you lost ten stories today, it wouldn't make a b ...[text shortened]... ory Coast, Yemen and Bahrain are ignored.

The United Nations reminds me of the Cantina Scene from Star Wars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSRwzP23ifI

GRANNY.
  12. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    04 Apr '11 18:31
    Originally posted by smw6869

GRANNY.
    Perfect. Rec'd.
  13. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    04 Apr '11 18:35
    Originally posted by smw6869

GRANNY.
    Obama at 0.27..!
  14. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    04 Apr '11 18:45 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Obama at 0.27..!
    C3P0 is a Jew apparently.

Edit: And I guess that's Bolton with the light saber.
  15. Standard member DrKF
    incipit parodia
    04 Apr '11 18:50
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    C3P0 is a Jew apparently.

Edit: And I guess that's Bolton with the light saber.
    Have a rec'd. This just keeps on giving...