Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    01 Apr '12 01:46 / 2 edits
    The United States has elected an African American as president. It has come close to electing women to the presidency and to the vice presidency at different times. It may soon elect a Mormon to the presidency.

So, how many years do you think it will take before the United States will elect--or, in some cases, will even be willing to elect--a qualified, honorable, and willing person from any of the following groups of people to the presidency (or even to the vice presidency)?

1. A woman
    2. A Jew
    3. A Muslim
    4. A Hindu
    5. A Latino
    6. An Indian American
    7. A Native Amerian
    8. A person of some other nontraditional socio-religious background, compared to presidents of the 20th and 21st centures (fill-in-the-blank)
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    01 Apr '12 01:52
    We won't elect a midget for at least 50 years.
  3. Standard member Soothfast
    01 Apr '12 01:57 / 1 edit
    What about an atheist? Maybe 500 years from now...

But a woman president would be the next great leap the country is long overdue to make. When Hillary is elected in 2016 (after Obama's two terms) we'll have that sewn up.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    01 Apr '12 01:58
    2016 will be a Republican win.
  5. 01 Apr '12 02:07
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    The United States has elected an African American as president. It has come close to electing women to the presidency and to the vice presidency at different times. It may soon elect a Mormon to the presidency.

So, how many years do you think it will take before the United States will elect--or, in some cases, will even be willing to elect--a [b]qual ...[text shortened]... o-religious background, compared to presidents of the 20th and 21st centures (fill-in-the-blank)
    You forgot.

9. Conservative
  6. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    01 Apr '12 02:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    You forgot.

9. Conservative
    Ah, that mythical beast, the Conservative. So many other creatures mimic it that the real thing is lost among the imitations. Perhaps it is extinct, or maybe it never was.
  7. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    01 Apr '12 02:24 / 1 edit

So, how many years do you think it will take before the United States will elect--or, in some cases, will even be willing to elect--aqual o-religious background, compared to presidents of the 20th and 21st centures (fill-in-the-blank)
    Your list is conspicuously lacking atheists. For they shall be the last minority group elected as president.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    01 Apr '12 02:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Your list is conspicuously lacking atheists. For they shall be the last minority group elected as president.
    I think an atheist will be elected before a midget.

Short People by Randy Newman - mildly crude humor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4KXw_ap8Y
  9. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    01 Apr '12 02:33
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I think an atheist will be elected before a midget.

Short People by Randy Newman - mildly crude humor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4KXw_ap8Y
    We've already had one mental midget in the oval office.
  10. Standard member wittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    01 Apr '12 02:33 / 3 edits
    Yes, by all means, include "9. An atheist" in the list. I also didn't include references to Buddhism or Americans of French Polynesian ancestry--I hope this doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers, either.

I intentionally specified #8 as a catch-all for groups of people I didn't happen to think of at the moment I hit the "post" button.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    01 Apr '12 02:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    We've already had one mental midget in the oval office.
    I think I saw that documentary.

Forrest Gump in the Oval Office (no disrespect intended to JFK)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEdBNslGOk
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 Apr '12 02:36

So, how many years do you think it will take before the United States will elect--or, in some cases, will even be willing to elect--a [b]qual ...[text shortened]... o-religious background, compared to presidents of the 20th and 21st centures (fill-in-the-blank)
    I think any person on that list could be elected, though with Muslim likely at the bottom, as long as the perceived war on terror and anti-American Jihad is still going on in the public eye.

I think that a publicly homosexual man would have a tougher time being elected than any of those.
  13. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Apr '12 02:45
    Yes, by all means, include "9. An atheist" in the list. I also didn't include references to Buddhism or Americans of French Polynesian ancestry--I hope this doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers, either.
    10. People born with feathers.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    01 Apr '12 02:47
    3. A Muslim
    Aren't there tens of millions of Americans who are absolutely convinced that this has already happened?
  15. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 Apr '12 02:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Aren't there tens of millions of Americans who are absolutely convinced that this has already happened?
    Heh

Good point.