Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 08 May '13 18:52
    Obama and the left seem to support the 'Islamic Spring' where Islamic countries get rid of their dictators and allow the people to vote for their own laws and create their own rules.

How does this apply to Christians who live in those countries? Does Obama or any other person on the left care? What does Obama do for the Islamists who are in control of Egypt and oversee the

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/05/07/mass-exodus-christians-from-muslim-world/

Should the West allow these countries to be given to the Islamic majority without supporting the Christians? Even in Bosnia?

Pathetic lot you leftists who back snakes and leave the snakes to attack the helpless. But I suppose since it is just Christians, they are fair game.
  2. 08 May '13 18:58 / 2 edits
    The US has for the most part not intervened in countries where there were Arab Spring revolutions/protest/uprisings. For example, it did not (significantly) support the protest movements in Egypt, Tunisia, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan or Kuwait. It did provide support within a NATO framework to the uprising in Lybia and is providing support to rebels in Syria. The common theme here is not - as anyone who is not woefully ignorant of the issue at hand would know - the Arab Spring or Christianity, but simply the US supporting opponents of regimes that already had or still have poor relations with the US.
  3. 08 May '13 19:02
    Giving tanks and fighter aircraft to the Islamists in control of Egypt isn't supporting them? Failure to come to the aid of our ally in Egypt isn't supporting the Islamist revolutionaries?

Because Obama led from behind in Lybia he didn't support it?

You have a very strange world view. I hope it helps you sleep better at night and allows you to feel like you are not supporting immoral people.
  4. 08 May '13 19:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Giving tanks and fighter aircraft to the Islamists in control of Egypt isn't supporting them? Failure to come to the aid of our ally in Egypt isn't supporting the Islamist revolutionaries?

You have a very strange world view. I hope it helps you sleep better at night and allows you to feel like you are not supporting immoral people.
    Giving tanks and fighter aircraft to the Islamists in control of Egypt isn't supporting them?
    No. Making military deals after the new regime was already established is not the same as supporting an active uprising.
    Failure to come to the aid of our ally in Egypt isn't supporting the Islamist revolutionaries?
    No. Don't be silly. Is the US supporting you by not giving me money?
    Have you read my entire post? I guess you haven't.
    Which "immoral people" am I supporting? Aside from whether Obama is "immoral" or not, I don't support Obama and never said that I did.
  5. 08 May '13 19:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]Giving tanks and fighter aircraft to the Islamists in control of Egypt isn't supporting them?
    No. Making military deals after the new regime was already established is not the same as supporting an active uprising.
    Failure to come to the aid of our ally in Egypt isn't supporting the Islamist revolutionaries?
    No. Don't be silly. Is the U om whether Obama is "immoral" or not, I don't support Obama and never said that I did.[/b]
    Giving tanks and fighter aircraft does not support the new regime. Check

Failure to support your ally isn't allowing the revolt to take place. Check

Do you support the 'Arab Spring' and the resulting shift in politics in the region from dictators who kept Islamists in check and simply allowing the Islamists to dominate the region?
  6. 08 May '13 19:21
    Giving tanks and fighter aircraft does not support the new regime. Check

Failure to support your ally isn't allowing the revolt to take place. Check

Do you support the 'Arab Spring' and the resulting shift in politics in the region from dictators who kept Islamists in check and simply allowing the Islamists to dominate the region?
    I would prefer utilitarians to run the show everywhere.
  7. 08 May '13 19:23
    I would prefer utilitarians to run the show everywhere.
    Yah, but you don't get that choice.

Do you support the Islamists or the dictators?
  8. 08 May '13 19:27
    Yah, but you don't get that choice.

Do you support the Islamists or the dictators?
    I don't support either, but I am cautiously optimistic that the Arab Spring may serve as a springboard towards parliamentary multi-party democracy in some of the countries.
  9. 08 May '13 19:33
    I don't support either, but I am cautiously optimistic that the Arab Spring may serve as a springboard towards parliamentary multi-party democracy in some of the countries.
    So what should be done to protect the innocent people living in those regions until a safe secular government takes root?
  10. 08 May '13 19:38
    So what should be done to protect the innocent people living in those regions until a safe secular government takes root?
    Be done by whom? The US government?

I don't support military intervention except in extreme cases.
  11. 09 May '13 17:53
    Be done by whom? The US government?

I don't support military intervention except in extreme cases.
    OK, is see your position. You want to pretend that supporting these rebels is a good thing because it opens the possibility of a secular democratic government. In your mind simply allowing for the possibility makes it the right thing to do. You wash your hands of what might actually happen because that would require military force.
  12. 09 May '13 18:03
    OK, is see your position. You want to pretend that supporting these rebels is a good thing because it opens the possibility of a secular democratic government. In your mind simply allowing for the possibility makes it the right thing to do. You wash your hands of what might actually happen because that would require military force.
    I never said supporting the rebels is a "good thing".
  13. 09 May '13 18:13
    I never said supporting the rebels is a "good thing".
    So you simply want to wash your hands of this problem completely? Or do you support the dictators?
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    09 May '13 21:12

Who is "our ally" in Egypt?
  15. 09 May '13 23:43
    Should the West allow these countries to be given to the Islamic majority without supporting the Christians? Even in Bosnia?
    I'm not sure the statistics are entirely up to date, but as far as I know Bosnia has only a plurality, not a majority, of Muslims.