Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 07 Mar '11 10:11
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/20110301/cm_atlantic/illinoisattorneygeneralinstructspolicetoreleasenamesofgunowners7196

Illinois Attorney General Instructs Police to Release Names of Gun Owners

Uri Friedman Uri Friedman – Tue Mar 1, 3:57 pm ET

WASHINGTON, DC – Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has issued a letter instructing state police to release the names of authorized gun owners in Illinois to the press, the Associated Press is reporting. State police had initially denied the AP's request for a list of Illinois residents with a Firearm Owners Identification card on the grounds that disclosing the names would violate the privacy of gun owners.

The news comes less than two weeks after the New York Times obtained the names of more than 37,000 people licensed to own handguns in New York City from the New York Police Department after filing a Public Records Act request and a lawsuit. The police department handed over names and ZIP codes but left out street addresses, retired police officers, and city residents with licenses for long guns like shotguns and rifles. In an article and infographic, the Times noted that its database revealed "a remarkable, if relatively small, cross-section of New Yorkers" including "boldface names" like Fox News president Roger Ailes, actor Robert De Niro, and businessman Donald Trump. The newspaper said that some of the gun owners it contacted "were irked to learn they would be included in an article based on the public records."
  2. 07 Mar '11 10:13
    1. what use is it to have an armed populace if the police can round us up whenever they want?

2. do you have to be rich and connected in NYC to obtain a gun license? i hear it's very difficult to get concealed carry in california, depending on the inclination of the local sheriff. and have heard that talk radio says Sen. Feinstein has a secret cache of weapons at her home, of the sort not permitted the common folk.
  3. Standard member Seitse
    Doug Stanhope
    07 Mar '11 10:50 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    police can round us up whenever they want
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persecutory_delusions
  4. 07 Mar '11 10:53
    1. what use is it to have an armed populace if the police can round us up whenever they want?

2. do you have to be rich and connected in NYC to obtain a gun license? i hear it's very difficult to get concealed carry in california, depending on the inclination of the local sheriff. and have heard that talk radio says Sen. Feinstein has a secret cache of weapons at her home, of the sort not permitted the common folk.
    1. what use is it to have an armed populace [...]?

Good question.
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Mar '11 14:23
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]1. what use is it to have an armed populace [...]?

Good question.[/b]
    Ask the Libyans fighting Qaddafi's army.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    07 Mar '11 14:39
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    LOL. Zing!. Rec'd.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Mar '11 15:00
    They don't seem to be relying on handguns.
  8. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Mar '11 15:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    They don't seem to be relying on handguns.
    So? They're using whatever they've got against tanks and planes.

Here's a picture of a Libyan rebel from one of Bosse's links in the Libya thread. You don't think this guy could use a handgun?

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg619/scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=fjkqr.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Mar '11 15:19
    So? They're using whatever they've got against tanks and planes.

Here's a picture of a Libyan rebel from one of Bosse's links in the Libya thread. You don't think this guy could use a handgun?

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg619/scaled.php?tn=0&server=619&filename=fjkqr.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640
    I think the idea that handgun ownership is a useful tool if you want to rebel against a state with a modern army is a ridiculous exaggeration that right wingers engage in in a kneejerk manner.

This is, of course, not to say that a handgun isn't a useful and legitimate tool for self-protection purposes.
  10. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Mar '11 15:35
    I think the idea that handgun ownership is a useful tool if you want to rebel against a state with a modern army is a ridiculous exaggeration that right wingers engage in in a kneejerk manner.

This is, of course, not to say that a handgun isn't a useful and legitimate tool for self-protection purposes.
    I don't think I've ever heard that specific argument made, but whatever. I don't feel like engaging in some stupid argument where you try to paint me with beliefs I don't hold today.
  11. 07 Mar '11 15:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    [b]1. what use is it to have an armed populace [...]?

Good question.[/b]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Mar '11 16:04
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristallnacht
    Do you think German Jews having handguns would have averted the Holocaust?
  13. 07 Mar '11 16:09
    Do you think German Jews having handguns would have averted the Holocaust?
    They may have.
    You seem to think they wouldn't.
    Your stance seems to be to be, stand by passively and act as sheep being led to slaughter.
    I would rather go out fighting and take a few with me with my 9mm,357,etc.
  14. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    07 Mar '11 16:12
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    They may have.
    Your stance seems to be to be, stand by passively and act as sheep being led to slaughter.
    Why not a semi-auto rifle? Why the limit to handguns only?
  15. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    07 Mar '11 16:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    They may have.
    To even suggest that is my position is appalling ignorance, surprising even from you.

And German Jews having handguns "may have" averted the Holocaust? Is that really what you are claiming?