Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    22 Nov '13 06:35
    The lunacy of the Left. This is hysterical.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich is Racist, Says Portland School Official
    Posted By Nathan Harden - Fix Editor On November 21, 2013 @ 9:23 am In Hardwire,Image Slider | 3,057 Comments

Did you know that eating or even talking about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be considered racist?

That’s right.

Apparently, it’s because people in some cultures don’t eat sandwich bread. Verenice Gutierrez, principal of Harvey Scott K-8 School in Portland explained in and interview with the Portland Tribune [1]:

“Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year,” the Tribune said.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” Gutierrez asked. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

…The Tribune noted that the school started the new year with “intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives,” to help educators understand their own “white privilege,” in order to “change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.”"Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the ‘white privilege’ it conveys,” the Tribune added.

Gutierrez completed a week-long seminar called “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a program the Tribune says focuses “on race and how it affects life.” She also serves on an administrative committee that focuses on systematic racism.

“Our focus school and our Superintendent’s mandate that we improve education [2] for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another,” she said in a letter to staff.

You can read more about principal Gutierrez’s sandwich-sensitivity philosophy here [3].

Next time you’re in the bread aisle at the grocery store, you may want to think twice. Sensitive liberal educators are now recommending the “torta” or the “pita” as a more culturally inclusive alternative.

Now that you’ve been made aware of the evil of PB&J, there’s only one question left to answer: Is white bread more racist than whole wheat?
  2. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    22 Nov '13 12:51
    Originally posted by sasquatch672

Posted By Nathan Harden - Fix Editor On November 21, 2013 @ 9:23 am In Hardwire,Image Slider | 3,057 Comments

Did you know that eating or even talking about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich could be considered racist?

That’s ...[text shortened]... of PB&J, there’s only one question left to answer: Is white bread more racist than whole wheat?
    Gawd. I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict this bold new initiative will result in a school system that still sucks.
  3. 22 Nov '13 13:21
    So who said sandwiches are racist?
  4. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    22 Nov '13 13:23
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So who said sandwiches are racist?
    Actually, now I'm craving a PBJ with my coffee. On white bread.

Yeah, I said it.
  5. 22 Nov '13 13:27
    Now that you’ve been made aware of the evil of PB&J, there’s only one question left to answer: Is white bread more racist than whole wheat?
    When I was a kid there was a brand of bread in the UK called Mighty White which was supposed to have the flavour of white bread but with all the nutrients of brown bread. I mentioned this to a white South African acquaintance, who laughed nervously and said, "We could not have a bread with that name in South Africa!"
  6. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    22 Nov '13 13:45 / 1 edit
    Well I went to make my sandwich but after spreading the peanut butter discovered we are out of jelly. This left my sandwich with an unacceptable level of diversity. After an inner struggle I decided to add salsa and soy sauce, and felt all proud of myself.

Tastes like crap though.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    22 Nov '13 13:51
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Well I went to make my sandwich but after spreading the peanut butter discovered we are out of jelly. This left my sandwich with an unacceptable level of diversity. After an inner struggle I decided to add salsa and soy sauce, and felt all proud of myself.

Tastes like crap though.
    You should have added nutella. Then it would have been diverse and tasted good.
  8. 22 Nov '13 13:51
    I don't want to sound racist, but American peanut butter is really awful.
  9. 22 Nov '13 13:55 / 1 edit
    American peanut butter is really awful.
    What specifically defines "american" peanut butter? The "American" peanut butter I get is pretty much just made of peanuts.

If you don't like that then maybe you just don't like peanut butter?
  10. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    22 Nov '13 14:15
    I don't want to sound racist, but American peanut butter is really awful.
    You're just not eating the right peanut butter. I only buy peanut butter from the East Wind worker collective. It is the unofficial peanut butter of the class struggle. Every bite taste like egalitarianism.
  11. 22 Nov '13 15:18
    In The Netherlands every year around this time we have a discussion about Black Pete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet). Some people feel he's a racist stereotype, others feel he's just part of an old tradition which shouldn't change. This year, a sort of compromise has been reached where Black Pete no longer wears earrings or bright red lipstick. But next year, the discussion will start all over again.

And we used to have a chocolate snack called "negerzoen" or "negro kiss" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate-coated_marshmallow_treats) but that name is also slowly disappearing. At least officially. I - and I suspect most people here - still call it a negerzoen.
  12. 22 Nov '13 20:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You're just not eating the right peanut butter. I only buy peanut butter from the East Wind worker collective. It is the unofficial peanut butter of the class struggle. Every bite taste like egalitarianism.
    I might still be laughing about this post tonight. Every bite tastes like egalitarianism, is that their official slogan? Personally, I like for every bite of my peanut butter to taste like peanut butter.
  13. 22 Nov '13 20:50
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    In The Netherlands every year around this time we have a discussion about Black Pete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet). Some people feel he's a racist stereotype, others feel he's just part of an old tradition which shouldn't change. This year, a sort of compromise has been reached where Black Pete no longer wears earrings or bright red lipst ...[text shortened]... sappearing. At least officially. I - and I suspect most people here - still call it a negerzoen.
    A few day ago on the "Holland's Got Talent" television show, Willem
    Heuckeroth made many racist comments putting down Xiao Wang, a
    Chinese contestant who sang Verdi's 'la Donne e mobile'. Xiao Wang
    received a standing ovation from the Dutch audience.

Some people have called for Willem Heukerorth to be sacked or at least
    to be reprimanded for making racist comments that he presumably would
    not have made if Xiao Wang had been a white or a black performer.

Being a target of such racist comments has made Xiao Wang more
    internationally known, however, than he would have been based only
    on his singing talent. (A few East Asian men are professional opera
    singers in Europe.)
  14. Standard member Soothfast
    22 Nov '13 20:52

That’s ...[text shortened]... of PB&J, there’s only one question left to answer: Is white bread more racist than whole wheat?
    It's funny how you get upset over things like this. Dance, Sassy, dance...
  15. Donation rwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    22 Nov '13 22:24
    Originally posted by dryhump
    I might still be laughing about this post tonight. Every bite tastes like egalitarianism, is that their official slogan? Personally, I like for every bite of my peanut butter to taste like peanut butter.
    Kind of catchy, isn't it? But, no, that isn't their slogan. You can see if that's what it tastes like to you:

http://www.eastwindcrafts.com/Nut-Butters_c_8.html