Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 20 Aug '11 00:46
    From the Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/falkenberg/7703351.html

. . . . the boy [asked] Perry about evolution.

"It's a theory that's out there. It's got some gaps in it," Perry told the boy. "In Texas, we teach both creationism and evolution in our public schools."

So, let me get this straight, governor: Social Security and other federal entitlements are unconstitutional. But, suddenly, religious indoctrination in public schools is just fine?

Now, sure, there are plenty of people in Texas who would like this to be so. Don McLeroy, the former head of the State Board of mis-Education, for one. He also believes dinosaurs lived alongside humans. And he eventually lost his post in 2009 after leading an embarrassing, Kansas-style attack on science standards, attempting to weaken the teaching of evolution in Texas schools.

McLeroy and others in his far-right voting bloc lost their battle, but not before making Texas a national laughingstock.

We recently had begun to lick our wounds and take pride in the fact that, just last month, the education board with several newly elected members agreed to adopt science materials backed by real science, without the drama of a Scopes Monkey Trial.

Now come the governor's comments.

I didn't know what to make of them at first. I'm one of those who still overestimates Perry, still thinks he wouldn't have gotten this far if he didn't know more than he lets on.

But does he really believe that Texas science teachers instruct kids on creationism, a Christian-based belief that a divine being created the Earth?

Does he know that teaching creationism was deemed unconstitutional decades ago by the U.S. Supreme Court? And that that's why the creationists came up with something called "Intelligent Design" - to get around the whole constitutional thing by passing their belief off as a "scientific theory"? . . .
  2. Standard member Soothfast
    20 Aug '11 00:55
    This is why Perry is absolutely non-viable as a world leader. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.
  3. 20 Aug '11 02:06 / 2 edits
    you're both nuts....... but that's par for this forum,,
    I saw that piece on TV, and what you posted doesn't exactly fit, which is also par for this forum...
    if everyone treated each other as a brother, like Jesus taught, where would society stand now? I'd gather it would be a far better place to live.
    Fire at will.... :-)
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Aug '11 02:28
    Originally posted by Hugh Glass
    I saw that piece on TV, and what you posted doesn't exactly fit, which is also par for this forum...
    if everyone treated each other as a brother, like Jesus taught, where would society stand now? I'd gather it would be a far better place to live.
    What is Perry's stance on the science taught in school, and the introduction of things like creationism and intelligent design into the science curriculum?
  5. 20 Aug '11 02:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is Perry's stance on the science taught in school, and the introduction of things like creationism and intelligent design into the science curriculum?
    Look it up, he just got in the race, and although a red neck, not from texas....
    but, I figure with the seperation of church and state, there is not much taught about creation.
    evolution is a theroy.......
  6. 20 Aug '11 03:09
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    This is why Perry is absolutely non-viable as a world leader. Gives me the willies just thinking about it.
    Just to be clear, do you believe that altheism is prerequisite to being a world leader, or President of the United States?
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    20 Aug '11 03:13
    Look it up, he just got in the race, and although a red neck, not from texas....
    but, I figure with the seperation of church and state, there is not much taught about creation.
    evolution is a theroy.......
    You say: "you're both nuts....... but that's par for this forum,, I saw that piece on TV, and what you posted doesn't exactly fit, which is also par for this forum..."

And I ask you what you mean, i.e. 'what - then - is Perry's stance'?... and you say 'look it up'??

The OP presents us with an argument and some evidence - you say it's not true - and when asked how is it 'not true' - you say 'look it up'! Are you being serious?
  8. 20 Aug '11 05:04
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Just to be clear, do you believe that altheism is prerequisite to being a world leader, or President of the United States?
    You seem to be equating the teaching of evolution and atheism when they aren't equivalent at all.
  9. 20 Aug '11 08:56
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

oops
  10. 20 Aug '11 18:15
    Many people already treat each other as a brother: They compete against each other, try to beat the crap out of each other if mom isn't looking but whine if they get hurt or get hit back, take their brother's stuff without asking permission -- maybe we need a different plan.
  11. 20 Aug '11 19:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    You seem to be equating the teaching of evolution and atheism when they aren't equivalent at all.
    Not me. I'm an atheist, who doesn't believe in evolution.
  12. 20 Aug '11 19:14
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theistic_evolution

oops
    Ok. How does that apply to the previous remark?
  13. 20 Aug '11 19:21
    Jon Huntsman responded: "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy."

Is he trying to lose the race for the Republican nomination?
  14. 20 Aug '11 19:24
    Not me. I'm an atheist, who doesn't believe in evolution.
    Then how do you think live as we know it came about ?
  15. 20 Aug '11 20:07
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Jon Huntsman responded: "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy."

Is he trying to lose the race for the Republican nomination?
    Good point. Those comments of Huntsman may work for the general election, but he has to get the pRepublican nomination first. And those comments of Huntsmaqn surely don't help with the rank-and-file religious fundamentalists and anti-science social conservatives in the Republican party who decide the Republican nomination.