Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 21 Apr '17 15:16
    61 % of Americans are for the legalization of pot and whether it finally become totally legal or not, how do we reconcile the difference between smoking cigarettes and smoking pot.
    Isn't there a major push to get people to stop smoking because of side effects of cancer and a host of other diseases ? I mean they are raising the cost of cigarettes to $13.00 a pack in New York and it is already $9.00 a pack in L.A. to try and get people to stop. And all the law suits that came against the Tobacco Companies were never ending.
    I smoked as a kid until I was 30 and it was incredibly hard to break free from smoking ( I started at $.35 a pack and quit at $1.25 a pack ).
    I also smoked pot in those same years mostly to be with friends and to get into the party scene. But as I grew older and wiser, I found out that just because something is legal it doesn't necessarily make it expedient or the best thing for you.
    I believe that it is only about money at the expense of people like you and me. I also do not want to set the bar for our kids lower so they came go lower than we did as kids. They ultimately have some tough choices to make as we also did with alcohol in our parents day. None of these products have our best interest in mind.
    Now everything in moderation would be the best way to approach this but how many people get caught up way past moderation and hurt someone or themselves.
  2. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Apr '17 16:12
    Originally posted by QUAGMYR
    61 % of Americans are for the legalization of pot and whether it finally become totally legal or not, how do we reconcile the difference between smoking cigarettes and smoking pot.
    Isn't there a major push to get people to stop smoking because of side effects of cancer and a host of other diseases ? I mean they are raising the cost of cigarettes to $13.00 ...[text shortened]... roach this but how many people get caught up way past moderation and hurt someone or themselves.
    The main hurt with pot is the literally hundreds of thousands of people in jail because of pot possession. That whole illegal thing started when the giant cotton company (Kraft?) Not sure the name but back in the 1930's there were some real assswipes in government like J Edgar Hoover and Anslinger. So there was a 3 prong attack on pot. Hemp was a viable cloth, better than cotton in many respects and it was a big industry a hundred years ago. So the three got together, Anslinger hated blacks, mexicans and jazz musicians and J Edgar was with Anslinger there. So they killed several birds with one stone, classifying pot up with heroin and such. That killed the hemp industry so big cotton was happy and now Assswipe and company had a weapon they could attack blacks and browns and Jazz people. It was hardly used at all by white kids who were more into whiskey and beer.

But when the 'Reefer madness' BS movie and its copycats came out, all of a sudden pot was demonized and that has stuck in the psyche of America and by extension, the entire planet.

It is claimed pot is the gateway drug leading in a procession to heroin and such.

It turns out the REAL gateway drug is not pot. It is tobacco.

But big tobacco has a VERY powerful lobby and so it doesn't matter that something like a half million die each year from smoking tobacco.

The thing is, pot smokers actually smoke a LOT less than tobacco smokers to get high.

Of course there are exceptions to that. I personally saw that in Thailand where I lived for a number of years and Kek, my buddies Telok (gf) smoked more weed from the bong than I saw anyone else before or since. Personally I would be lying on the ground near catatonic if I ever did that much but like I said that was the exception.

If it wasn't for those world class assswipes Hoover and Anslinger, we would not be in the boat we are in now, where heavily armed cartels rule intire countries in South America and ship it and coke and heroin into the US by the ton, literally.

I just wish those two cretins were alive now to see the cartels murder hundreds of women and children just for getting in their way and the literally hundreds of thousands in prison because of pot.

Of course that is lessening now but there was a time in Texas, for instance, 40 years for possession of a single joint. This goes beyond cruel. You get what, 15 years for murder.

All of that directly caused by big cotton, Anslinger and Hoover. We all know how well THAT turned out, eh.

And I am not trying to say smoking pot is without risk, of course it is risky, but there are alternatives now, the e cigarette and I know people right now who use that method only and there is a lot less damage to the lungs when you don't put burn products in there.

Even at that it is not risk free but it is a hell of a lot safer than ANY form of tobacco.

And not near as addictive as cocaine or heroin. And there are a lot worse street drugs out there now that also kill, like exctasy and the like.

I'm sure cops would only WISH the only thing they had to worry about was pot.
  3. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    21 Apr '17 16:14
    Isn't there a major push to get people to stop smoking because of side effects of cancer and a host of other diseases ? I mean they are raising the cost of cigarettes to $13.00 ...[text shortened]... roach this but how many people get caught up way past moderation and hurt someone or themselves.
    Cannabis needn't be smoked. The basic difference is that a cigarette smoker will get through 20 a day and smoke every day. It is possible to smoke cannabis infrequently and without tobacco and it can be eaten. I don't think cancer risks contribute a strong case against legalisation.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Apr '17 17:22
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Cannabis needn't be smoked. The basic difference is that a cigarette smoker will get through 20 a day and smoke every day. It is possible to smoke cannabis infrequently and without tobacco and it can be eaten. I don't think cancer risks contribute a strong case against legalisation.
    Indeed, it can be just eaten raw. When I lived in Thailand I took about a half teaspoon of pot and heated it with a match till it smoked and consumed it. Big mistake. I got sick high.

My tummy was like writhing around for 6 hours standing up, sitting down, much too high and it didn't go away like smoking it did. I didn't think that terrible high would ever end.
    Last time I tried THAT little experiment. I guess I should have consumed 1/10th of what I actually did. Not wanting to do that again however. Anyway I have not smoked weed in about 20 years. Just not that interested in it any more.
  5. 21 Apr '17 17:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Indeed, it can be just eaten raw. When I lived in Thailand I took about a half teaspoon of pot and heated it with a match till it smoked and consumed it. Big mistake. I got sick high.

My tummy was like writhing around for 6 hours standing up, sitting down, much too high and it didn't go away like smoking it did. I didn't think that terrible high would ev ...[text shortened]... wever. Anyway I have not smoked weed in about 20 years. Just not that interested in it any more.
    My dad's youngest brother (sibling 6 out of 6), my uncle, once baked a massive batch of weed brownies. The extended family (25 people, roughly) gathered to celebrate the 5th birthday of one of my cousins, and my uncle thought it would be funny to serve the weed brownies. 8 year old me was stoned for 3 days. I didn't understand it at the time, but I thought it was great I could stay home from school!
  6. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    21 Apr '17 17:34
    So, what about for medical purposes? Did you know that smoking weed is the best cure for asthma known to man. It opens up the little pockets in the lungs that close in a asthma attack and keeps them open for days. Nothing else works as fast and as long as smoking weed during an asthma attack.
  7. 21 Apr '17 17:37
    Originally posted by Ashiitaka
    My dad's youngest brother (sibling 6 out of 6), my uncle, once baked a massive batch of weed brownies. The extended family (25 people, roughly) gathered to celebrate the 5th birthday of one of my cousins, and my uncle thought it would be funny to serve the weed brownies. 8 year old me was stoned for 3 days. I didn't understand it at the time, but I thought it was great I could stay home from school!
    That isn't the end of the story. My uncle was visiting from Australia, and was renting a flat here. Since people judged pretty quickly what was wrong with the brownies from the behaviour of me, my sister and some younger cousins (all who had dashed eagerly to the brownies), not all of them were eaten. He went back to his rented flat with the remainder of the brownies that evening, and left two days later, forgetting to throw the brownies out. The owner (a mother with 2 young children) thought they were a gift to say thanks for letting me stay in your apartment, so she gave the brownies to her kids for their school lunchboxes. Needless to say it didn't go down very well.
  8. Subscriber KingDavid403
    King David
    21 Apr '17 17:41
    The main hurt with pot is the literally hundreds of thousands of people in jail because of pot possession. That whole illegal thing started when the giant cotton company (Kraft?) Not sure the name but back in the 1930's there were some real assswipes in government like J Edgar Hoover and Anslinger. So there was a 3 prong attack on pot. Hemp was a viable clo ...[text shortened]... and the like.

It is claimed pot is the gateway drug leading in a procession to heroin and such. The only reason it became a gateway drug for me; was because when I first smoked it I realized that everyone had been lying to me about smoking weed. It made me think the same of the other drugs they warned me about. I never ended up using heroin either.
  9. 21 Apr '17 21:09
    The main hurt with pot is the literally hundreds of thousands of people in jail because of pot possession. That whole illegal thing started when the giant cotton company (Kraft?) Not sure the name but back in the 1930's there were some real assswipes in government like J Edgar Hoover and Anslinger. So there was a 3 prong attack on pot. Hemp was a viable clo ...[text shortened]... and the like.

It turns out the REAL gateway drug is not pot. It is tobacco.

Actually, it's alcohol - which shouldn't come as a surprise.

You may have heard that marijuana is a gateway drug. Republican presidential candidate Chris Christie makes this argument seemingly every chance he gets. Anti-drug groups often make similar claims.

The evidence seems convincing enough at first blush: studies show that 99 percent of illicit drug users tried marijuana before they did any other drugs. But on its own, this line of thinking actually is pretty tenuous: we could also safely assume that 99 percent of illicit drug users also tried coffee, or soda, or chocolate milk before moving on to stronger substances.

New research out this month in the Journal of School Health could shed some light on this question. A team of researchers from Texas A&M and the University of Florida examined data from from 2,800 U.S. 12th graders interviewed for the Monitoring the Future study, an annual federal survey of teen drug use. They wanted to establish which substances teens typically used first.

They give away their findings in the title of their paper: "Prioritizing Alcohol Prevention: Establishing Alcohol as the Gateway Drug and Linking Age of First Drink With Illicit Drug Use." They found that "the vast majority of respondents reported using alcohol prior to either tobacco or marijuana initiation."

Not only that, but of those three main substances -- alcohol, tobacco and marijuana -- kids were the least likely to start using pot before the others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/06/the-real-gateway-drug-thats-everywhere-and-legal/?utm_term=.4714d4a6e7ec
  10. 21 Apr '17 21:16
    My own view is that pot should be legalised but treated like cigarettes. Alcohol should also be treated like cigarettes. The problem right now, is pot is illegal but is virtually glorified on TV and in the media in ways that are illegal to do for cigarettes. Worse, it seems almost everyone in the US has used pot, many quite extensively, but mostly black people are in jail because of it. It is not illegal because people don't want it used, its illegal so it can be used as an excuse to lock up black people.
  11. 21 Apr '17 23:47 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead to QUAGMYR
    My own view is that pot should be legalised but treated like cigarettes. Alcohol should also be treated like cigarettes. The problem right now, is pot is illegal but is virtually glorified on TV and in the media in ways that are illegal to do for cigarettes. Worse, it seems almost everyone in the US has used pot, many quite extensively, but mos ...[text shortened]... e people don't want it used, its illegal so it can be used as an excuse to lock up black people.
    "...it seems almost everyone in the US has used pot, many quite extensively"
    --Twhitehead

'Almost everyone" is a considerable exaggeration.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-poll-finds-majority-americans-have-smoked-pot-n747476

"New Poll Finds Majority of Americans Have Smoked Marijuana"

"According to a new poll released Monday, 52 percent of Americans over 18 have tried
    marijuana at some point in their lives. The survey conducted by Yahoo News and Marist
    Poll found that not only have most adults in the U.S. smoked pot, 44 percent of those
    who tried it once still use it today."
  12. 22 Apr '17 03:10
    You're just figured this out. Give it about 30 yrs.
  13. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    22 Apr '17 05:39
    Eat pot.
    Put it in cakes or tea.
    Or just swallow resin.