Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    06 Nov '17 21:29
    Excellent (politically ambivalent) article in The Atlantic about the way the debate over racism and bigotry has spun out of control in the US (And, no doubt, in other countries as well).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/12/conservatism-without-bigotry/544128/
  2. 06 Nov '17 22:12
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Excellent (politically ambivalent) article in The Atlantic about the way the debate over racism and bigotry has spun out of control in the US (And, no doubt, in other countries as well).

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/12/conservatism-without-bigotry/544128/
    Bigot!
  3. 06 Nov '17 22:20

"liberals wield the greater power to stigmatize."
    oh no. it's almost like the author is saying conservatives are too delicate to withstand criticism? what else is delicate? a snowflake perhaps?

"being accused of bigotry is now more dangerous than being accused of insufficient patriotism"
    not for a second does he address the possibility that one might actually be bigoted.

"In 2014, Brendan Eich was forced out as the head of the tech company Mozilla for having donated to an anti-gay-marriage initiative."
    so? private companies can indeed choose to not employ people who hold hateful views.

"He probably would not have been forced out for donating to, say, a campaign to eliminate the Pledge of Allegiance from California’s schools."
    bull. he would have been from a conservative company.

"Conservatives feel their cultural vulnerability acutely"
    yes. blacks also feel their vulnerability to bullets acutely. gays also feel their vulnerability to getting beaten up for their homosexuality.
    allow me a moment to weep for the poor conservatives.

“When asked how they feel about talking politics,” the researchers noted, “every single conservative respondent raised the issue of being called racist.”
    could it be that they aren't that confident that they can abstain from acting racist?

"Liberals expressed no comparable fear."
    perhaps because liberals aren't racists? when you don't feel the need to support laws that keep blacks and latinos down, when you don't immediately assume blacks are getting a free ride, when you acknowledge that blacks are disproportionately being shot by the police, maybe that's when you don't fear being called racist.

"But liberals can make Sean Hannity’s work harder by resisting the temptation to deploy the label bigoted, or one of its synonyms, when describing an idea they consider stupid or immoral."
    seriously? why? because it offends sean hannity and the bigots that gulp every word of his? because sean hannity viewers might not think of themselves as bigoted? who is the snowflake now?

heh i stopped reading that piece of crap article when it took issue with someone calling breitbart anti-semitic. i started laughing. i closed the tab.
  4. 06 Nov '17 22:53
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    oh no. it's almost like the author is saying conservatives are too delicate to withstand criticism? what else is delicate? a snowflake perhaps?

"being accused of bigotry is now more dangerous than being accused of insufficient patriotism"
    not for a second does he address the possibility that one might ...[text shortened]... it took issue with someone calling breitbart anti-semitic. i started laughing. i closed the tab.
    There is one snowflake down, more to go.
  5. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    07 Nov '17 05:43

not for a second does he address the possibility that one might ...[text shortened]... it took issue with someone calling breitbart anti-semitic. i started laughing. i closed the tab.
    I wish I knew how to give your response more than 1 rec.... +10
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    07 Nov '17 14:23

=== eh i stopped reading that piece of crap article when it took issue with someone calling breitbart anti-semitic. i started laughing. i closed the tab. ===

a/k/a "I didn't like what the other guy had to say, so I turned it off."

Your choice of course, but why admit to behaving like a petulant child in a public forum?
  7. 07 Nov '17 14:33
    === eh i stopped reading that piece of crap article when it took issue with someone calling breitbart anti-semitic. i started laughing. i closed the tab. ===

Your choice of course, but why admit to behaving like a petulant child in a public forum?
    Try being at a university where they scream at you till you stop talking.
  8. 07 Nov '17 14:40 / 1 edit

i don't have to drink the entire carton of spoiled milk to realize it's spoiled.
    If i power through the first 5 minutes of a Hannity garbage tirade i will get more garbage in the next five. I could be losing on the best piece of journalism ever created in the history of mankind but if it's Hannity, i am willing to take that gamble.

what other argument do you have?
  9. 07 Nov '17 14:48 / 1 edit

Talking to liberals about their shortcomings (because they know that they have no faults) of their political ideology is akin to talking to a fundamentalist Christian about evolution. They have no interest in evolution because they know that the theory of evolution is inherently evil, so they have no real interest in ever studying it or listening to you talk about it.

Remember, the left wing is a religion. Their god is Marx and a free market and the GOP is their devil.
  10. 07 Nov '17 17:33

The author makes the mundane observation that accusing others of bigotry, even when the target is obviously a bigot, tends to backfire. For some reason the author also feels the need to perpetuate the infantile "conservative" vs. "liberal" false dichotomy.

I think the most telling part of the article is when the author cites a survey saying that 76% of Democrats think Donald Trump is a racist, seemingly with the intention of underlining how likely Democratic voters are to label "the other side" as racist. To me, what this figure underscores is how strong the taboo in the United States is on calling out racists for being racists - so strong that even a whopping 24% of Donald Trump's political opponents refuse to label his obvious racist attitudes as such.
  11. 07 Nov '17 19:12
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra tp Sh76
    The author makes the mundane observation that accusing others of bigotry, even when the target is obviously a bigot, tends to backfire. For some reason the author also feels the need to perpetuate the infantile "conservative" vs. "liberal" false dichotomy.

I think the most telling part of the article is when the author cites a survey saying ...[text shortened]... Donald Trump's political opponents refuse to label his obvious racist attitudes as such.
    "For some reason the author also feels the need to perpetuate the infantile "conservative" vs. "liberal" false dichotomy."
    --KazetNagorra

Some 'liberal' Americans here have liked to argue or imply that the existence of racism
    among 'conservative' Americans 'proves' that racism cannot exist among 'liberal' Americans.
    These 'liberal' Americans denounce me for pointing out that racism exists among 'liberals' too, including themselves.

"To me, what this figure underscores is how strong the taboo in the United States is on
    calling out racists for being racists."
    --KazetNagorra

This taboo's not only in the USA. Ghost of a Duke (UK) has fiercely objected to 'labeling'
    white people as racists while being quick to condemn non-white people (like me) as racist.
    Ghost of a Duke also likes to pretend that it's about equally likely that he could be non-white as white.
    I would submit it's almost certain that only a white person would be motivated to downplay
    white racism while making diversionary accusations of racism against non-white people.

"Gee, we wouldn't want to label racists as "racist," now would we? That would hurt their feelings."
    --KazetNagorra (earlier post)

According to many writers here, racist attitudes and behavior are fine (with a thin veneer
    of deniability), but calling out such attitudes and behavior as racist is extremely wrong.