Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 01:29
    Recognising diversity (usually meaning not white men) has become
    a 'hot' sociopolitical issue in mathematics, science, and engineering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Lyttle_Satter_Prize_in_Mathematics

Since 1991, this prize has been awarded every two years to outstanding women mathematicians.
    Out of the 15 winners so far, 10 are white (USA 4, France 3, Belgium 1, UK 1, Ukraine 1).
    The 5 other winners are of Asian heritage (3 Chinese, 1 Korean, 1 Iranian).

The 1/3 non-white winners is higher than the proportion of non-white winners of the Fields Medal.
    (It should be noted that the Fields Medal began being awarded in 1936,
    and there was more racism and sexism in the past.)
    Out of 56 winners so far of the Fields Medals, about 9 are non-white:
    3 Japanese, 2 Chinese, 1 Vietnamese, 1 Indian, 1 Iranian, 1 Arab (half-Arab).

Given the recent ongoing dominance of the International Mathematical Olympiads
    by students of East Asian heritage, one may expect more non-white winners
    of Fields Medals. At least several winners of Fields Medals showed their
    early promise by excelling at IMOs. It should be noted, however, that many
    participants in IMOs don't pursue careers as research mathematicians.
    If I recall correctly, a Chinese winner of an IMO gold medal became a
    corporate data analyst because he's paid much more than he would be
    as a professor of mathematics in China.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 02:10
    You mean like recognizing female robotics kids by giving them socially responsible awards simply for being girls.

Gotta be born the correct gemder to get special treatment. Really pretty sad, it just goes to show females are actually inferior.
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 14:36
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Recognising diversity (usually meaning not white men) has become
    a 'hot' sociopolitical issue in mathematics, science, and engineering.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Lyttle_Satter_Prize_in_Mathematics

Since 1991, this prize has been awarded every two years to outstanding women mathematicians.
    Out of the 15 winners so far, 10 are white (USA 4, ...[text shortened]... ta analyst because he's paid much more than he would be
    as a professor of mathematics in China.
    Out of the 15 winners so far, 10 are white (USA 4, France 3, Belgium 1, UK 1, Ukraine 1).

The 1/3 non-white winners is higher than the proportion of non-white winners of the Fields Medal.
    (It should be noted that the Fields Medal began being awarded in 1936,
    and there was more racism and sexism in the past.)
    Out of 56 winners so far of the Fields Medals, about 9 are non-white:
    3 Japanese, 2 Chinese, 1 Vietnamese, 1 Indian, 1 Iranian, 1 Arab (half-Arab).

Why are you obsessed with the subject of race?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 16:16
    What if a guy wanted to be called a woman, would that person qualify for recognition as a woman for this award?
  5. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 19:44
    Originally posted by @eladar
    What if a guy wanted to be called a woman, would that person qualify for recognition as a woman for this award?
    Lol. Na. Trump would ban it.😛
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 20:256 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill

The 1/3 non-white winners is higher than the proportion of non-white winners of the Fields Me 1 Indian, 1 Iranian, 1 Arab (half-Arab).

Why are you obsessed with the subject of race?
    The racist troll Mchill has claimed that white men (like himself) are the most oppressed group in the USA.
    Mchill likes to pretend that racism does not exist unless it's allegedly oppressing white people.

Many racist white people (particularly Americans) like to act as though only white people
    are (or even can be) responsible for all achievements in mathematics, science, and technology.
    (The US media likes implicitly to give whites credit for Asian American achievements.)
    So I am pointing out that this is factually wrong, though I expect that no amount of
    factual evidence could ever stop some people from holding their cherished racist beliefs..

STEM is an acronym for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
    In fact, there's wide attention at many levels (from the US government to the media to industry)
    about the need to increase diversity (as opposed to white men) in STEM fields of employment.
    (Mchill likes to act absurdly as though I alone have any interest about diversity in STEM.

https://www.usnews.com/news/stem-solutions/articles/2015/02/24/stem-workforce-no-more-diverse-than-14-years-ago

"STEM Workforce No More Diverse Than 14 Years Ago
    Business advocates say engagement efforts need to be more strategic."

"Despite a national focus on directing more students toward science, technology,
    engineering and math fields – particularly women and minorities – the STEM workforce
    is no more diverse now than in 2001."

"The group, a coalition of Fortune 500 companies focused on increasing STEM education,
    on Tuesday hosted a panel discussion on the stagnant nature of STEM diversity and
    what needs to be done to better target women and minority students who may represent
    overlooked talent in schools nationwide. Although the overall face of the workforce
    throughout the country is changing – particularly with a higher representation of younger
    and minority individuals – the demographics of STEM fields have remained largely unchanged."

In contrast to ignorant racist trolls like Mchill, many Americans (even some white men in
    STEM industries) seem concerned about increasing diversity in STEM.
    I happen to share that concern, so I expect to be hated as usual by racist trolls.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 20:32
    An over representation of men in stem fields is easily explained by the fact that the male brain is better suited for stem fields.

The over representation of Asians and Whites is easily explained by higher IQ in those two groups.
  8. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:05
    You mean like recognizing female robotics kids by giving them socially responsible awards simply for being girls.

Gotta be born the correct gemder to get special treatment. Really pretty sad, it just goes to show females are actually inferior.
    The sexist troll Eladar keeps lying. At the 2017 international robotics competition,
    no team or individual student was given an award 'simply for being (female)'.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:101 edit
    An over representation of men in stem fields is easily explained by the fact that the male brain is better suited for stem fields.

The over representation of Asians and Whites is easily explained by higher IQ in those two groups.
    The hypocritical racist Eladar has a record of arguing that IQ tests and mathematics
    competitions prove that black people are intrinsically inferior to white people in intelligence.

On average, white people have inferior scores to East Asians in IQ tests and mathematics competitions.
    But Eladar has not argued that these results prove that white people are inferior in intelligence.
    Instead, as far as I know, Eladar prefers to believe that white people's inferior results
    prove that they are *equal* to East Asians who have superior results.

In the USA, Asians in STEM fields tend to be paid and promoted less than whites of equal qualifications and abilities.
    So Asians often need to be consistently superior in performance to be treated as 'equals' with whites.

Even *if* it's true that average differences between male and female brains can *partly* explain
    why men are more inclined or able to be employed in STEM fields, it's not a complete explanation.
    The reality is that women are underrepresented on account of cultural and institutional factors, not only biological ones.
    Many diverse women have complained about a dominant culture of sexism (if not also
    sexual harassment) in high technology industries in the USA.
  10. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:17
    The racist troll Mchill has claimed that white men (like himself) are the most oppressed group in the USA.
    Mchill likes to pretend that racism does not exist unless it's allegedly oppressing white people.

Many racist white people (particularly Americans) like to act as though only white people
    are (or even can be) responsible for all achievements in ...[text shortened]... ity in STEM.
    I happen to share that concern, so I expect to be hated as usual by racist trolls.

This is not true at all. What I asked is why do you publish posts that highlight ONLY the victims of racism that are not white males. I made no claims of who is the most oppressed. Please stop posting lies about what I said and answer my question (if you can)
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:17
    The hypocritical racist Eladar has a record of arguing that IQ tests and mathematics
    competitions prove that black people are intrinsically inferior to white people in intelligence.

On average, white people have inferior scores to East Asians in IQ tests and mathematics competitions.
    But Eladar has not argued that these results prove that white peopl ...[text shortened]... people's inferior results
    prove that they are *equal* to East Asians who have superior results.
    You misrepresent what I've said. I never said that blacks are inferior, just lower IQ. If blacks are so inferior why are there so many professional black athletes?

As for IQ, I have always claimed in general East Asian IQ is slightly higher than white.

In any case, what I wrote is true even if you find it repugnant.
  12. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:20
    You misrepresent what I've said. I never said that blacks are inferior, just lower IQ. If blacks are so inferior why are there so many professional black athletes?

As for IQ, I have always claimed in general East Asian IQ is slightly higher than white.

You misrepresent what I've said. I never said that blacks are inferior

The Great and powerful Duchess does the same for most people here. Join the club
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:212 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill

This is not true at all. What I asked is why do you publish posts that highlight ONLY the victims of racism that are not white males. I made no claims of who is the most oppressed. Please stop posting lies about what I said and answer my question (if you can)
    Like other trolls, Mchill waits for readers' memories to fade and then shamelessly lies.
    In the context of what Mchill wrote, he strongly implied that he regards white men as the
    most oppressed group in the USA. On many earlier occasions, Mchill has not disputed
    my statements accurately describing his original position.

Now perhaps Mchill would like to change his earlier position to one claiming (also absurdly)
    that white men are oppressed by racism and sexism in the USA today to an extent that's
    *not exceeded* by any other group. So white men have just as much of a right to
    complain about their oppression by racism, sexism, or 'political correctness' in the USA.

It's a common for self-pitying white American men here to believe or claim that they are more
    oppressed by racism and sexism than anyone else in the ('politically correct' ) USA today.
  14. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:271 edit
    Like other trolls, Mchill waits for readers' memories to fade and then shamelessly lies.
    In the context of what Mchill wrote, he strongly implied that he regards white men as the
    most oppressed group in the USA. On many earlier occasions, Mchill has not disputed
    my statements accurately describing his original position.

It's a common for self-pit ...[text shortened]... ore
    oppressed by racism and sexism than anyone else in the ('politically correct' ) USA today.
    he strongly implied that he regards white men as the most oppressed group in the USA.

Duchess, I made no such implication whatsoever. I only asked why you dwell so heavily on the the racism of white males while turning a blind eye to the same actions of others. Please stop misrepresenting what I said. You don't like it when others do it to you. I asked a valid question, and you responded by becoming hostile.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    01 Aug '17 21:30

"I never said that blacks are inferior, just lower IQ.
    If blacks are so inferior why are there so many professional black athletes?"
    --Eladar

The nearly illiterate troll Eladar makes a desperate pathetic attempt to distort the context.
    Obviously, I was writing in the context of discussing inferiority in intelligence, *not* athletic performance.

In the Science forum, there was at least one thread with several diverse writers
    (including KazetNagorra and Sonhouse) who condemned Eladar as a racist because of
    his efforts to argue that black people are intrinsically inferior in intelligence to white people.