Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    05 Dec '14 06:35
    This may be an important decision considering the current situations around the US.
    Things could get rather dicey if we began producing home-grown terrorists as a response.
  2. 05 Dec '14 15:19
    Should black culture adopt different values? That would go further to fixing the problems than changing police policies.
  3. 08 Dec '14 17:27
    Originally posted by caissad4
    This may be an important decision considering the current situations around the US.
    Things could get rather dicey if we began producing home-grown terrorists as a response.
    I think parenting is an issue we should address before changing police procedure? You do know how important it is to have two parents raising a child?
  4. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    08 Dec '14 18:26
    I assume you mean that a given police department should have a single procedure for all suspects which could differ from other police departments depending on the prevailing culture within their jurisdiction. I'd tend to disagree, their procedures should be sufficiently flexible to cope with cultural inhomogeneities.
  5. 09 Dec '14 16:54
    It is only reasonable that Police review their policies and procedures as to effectiveness, and sensitivity, and evaluate officer's performance.

Whether they should change based on cultural differences is another thing. Those things punishable by law, ought to accommodate all cultures, and not favor one over the other.

As an example, the Detroit area has a couple of high concentrations of Muslims in what used to be Polish enclaves. Ought the legislators and Police adopt Sharia to accommodate the cultural changes? I doubt it. Most Muslim immigrants came from places with Sharia law, and left for a better place.

It is likely we will produce some home grown terrorists regardless of what we do. There will always be some opposed to government policies, and they will no be eliminated or satisfied by half measures.