Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 19:37
    Originally posted by @sleepyguy
    Yep.

Well after thinking about this for 2 minutes it's hard to argue against Trump's position on this which is straightforward and practical. We have a world to run, Russia is a world player even if their economy isn't large, and we're better off having them at the table than not.
    how are you ignoring Russia's oil/natural gas in that region?
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 19:381 edit
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Well, I don't want to stumble down the hyper-partisan path, but it's not hard to imagine what would have been the response of many if Obama had decided on a summit with Kim with no preconditions.
    LOL...the pussy Obama and KJU? LMFAO Im sure Obama would have bowed to him.
  3. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 19:55
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Did you mean this quote?

"Crimea was TAKEN by Russia during the Obama Administration. Was Obama too soft on Russia?" - Donald J. Trump, 2017

Just as a reminder, Russia was kicked out of the G8 after annexing the Crimea. Re-admitting them would send the signal that the international community now accepts the Russian annexation of the Crimea.
    Give Russia unearned readmission to the G7?

I think not. Rewarding bad behavior is just a step too Trumpian for me.

Though, perhaps if they:
    - Admitted, apologized and ceased meddling in foreign elections.
    - Admitted and apologized for using their exclusive brand of nerve agent to kill dissidents in England.
    - Removed all of their troops from; Georgia, Eastern Ukraine and Crimea.

I believe that those trifling measures might just get them back in. Then they could hold their heads high and honorably.
    And, once again, be rewarded with membership into the prestigious and lucrative economic partnerships of the West.

I don't recommend holding one's breath till they do.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 20:23
    Then at least Trump would have somebody to talk to.

Seriously, though their economy's GDP is smaller than all of the nations in the group including Canada, which has one-quarter its population. As Paul Krugman points out, Spain's GDP is about the same as Russia's.

So does it rate as a "major industrialized country" warranting G-7 admission? Or are ...[text shortened]... anization meant to facilitate macroeconomic coordination between advanced economies?

Discuss.
    The question really shouldn't be "Should Russia be added back to the G7?", but "Should America be kicked out of the G7?"
  5. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 20:39
    Let Russia into the G7 and they will take more land because appeasement fails
  6. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 20:55
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    Let Russia into the G7 and they will take more land because appeasement fails
    Well then shouldn't the G-7 declare war on Russia and send the Light Brigade back to Sevastopol?
  7. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 20:58
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    LOL...the pussy Obama and KJU? LMFAO Im sure Obama would have bowed to him.
    Gee, I don't ever remember Obama calling Kim "very honorable", do you? https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/apr/24/trump-praises-kim-jong-un-very-open-very-honorable/
  8. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:07
    Guess what. The international community now accepts the Russian annexation of the Crimea.
    They don't, they just don't want to fight a nuclear war over it. Instead, they prefer other measures, like economic sanctions and... kicking Russia out of the G8.
  9. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:09
    IYO was the Russian annexation of the Crimea more egregious than the US and other Western powers military attacks on Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya?
    Since there was relatively little bloodshed involved in this annexation, I would say less egregious than the Afghanistan or Iraq invasions. The Libya intervention was primarily a civil war with some support from NATO to the rebels. In my view it's plausible that this civil war might have dragged on for much longer, with more bloodshed, without NATO air support.
  10. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:24
    They don't, they just don't want to fight a nuclear war over it. Instead, they prefer other measures, like economic sanctions and... kicking Russia out of the G8.
    And Russia still has the Crimea, so... while butt hurt, they've accepted it.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:31
    And Russia still has the Crimea, so... while butt hurt, they've accepted it.
    That's not how it works.
  12. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:46
    Since there was relatively little bloodshed involved in this annexation, I would say less egregious than the Afghanistan or Iraq invasions. The Libya intervention was primarily a civil war with some support from NATO to the rebels. In my view it's plausible that this civil war might have dragged on for much longer, with more bloodshed, without NATO air support.
    Libya's been pretty much a war zone ever since the intervention. It seems quite doubtful it would have been so absent foreign meddling.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:46
    IYO was the Russian annexation of the Crimea more egregious than the US and other Western powers military attacks on Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya?
    USA did not declare those nations American soil. They are still their own countries.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:48
    Originally posted by @athousandyoung
    USA did not declare those nations American soil. They are still their own countries.
    It seems most of the people in the Crimea wanted to join Russia. Few in Iraq and Afghanistan were pinning for a US invasion and occupation. No government in either of those countries could long exist without the approval of the US.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 21:50
    Well then shouldn't the G-7 declare war on Russia and send the Light Brigade back to Sevastopol?
    Russia is too strong for that. Otherwise a UN mission like Korea in the 50s would not be a bad idea.