Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 Feb '13 09:23
    I think that this is spot on, any other opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbp6umQT58A
  2. 24 Feb '13 09:52
    Originally posted by jimmac

Right on! Escape the evils of government. Somalia is nice this time of year.
  3. 24 Feb '13 13:11

Good presentation. It is looney tunes to say on the one hand that forcing a man to pick cotton in a field on the threat of a whip is slavery, but to send him into the same field with a musket, to kill of be killed is not, that at the threat of imprisonment or death.
  4. 24 Feb '13 13:14
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Right on! Escape the evils of government. Somalia is nice this time of year.
    Somali warlords routinely conscript boys as young as nine or ten years old. They are transferred from one warlord to another on the defeat of one or the other. If you are arguing for conscription, perhaps it is you that ought to enjoy the beachfront of Mogidishu.
  5. 24 Feb '13 13:50
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Somali warlords routinely conscript boys as young as nine or ten years old. They are transferred from one warlord to another on the defeat of one or the other. If you are arguing for conscription, perhaps it is you that ought to enjoy the beachfront of Mogidishu.
    It was quite obvious I was being sarcastic.

Why does Somalia have warlords? Clearly a place that lacks the evils of a central government should be a euphoric Bastion of freedom.
  6. 24 Feb '13 15:19

Can you summarize the main point you are trying to make by posting a link to this video?
  7. 24 Feb '13 16:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Can you summarize the main point you are trying to make by posting a link to this video?
    I didn't spend a lot of time reviewing it, but what stood out to me was that militarism and perhaps nationalism represents a type of slavery. Many people oppose war, but totally support the institutions that make war possible, even probably.

Two factors make war more likely. Being able to conscript young men as soldiers, and having an unlimited ability to tax, and/or inflate the money supply to pay for your wars.

Both the conscription of young men and the manipulation of money to fund wars represents some form of slavery.
  8. 24 Feb '13 16:48
    I didn't spend a lot of time reviewing it, but what stood out to me was that militarism and perhaps nationalism represents a type of slavery. Many people oppose war, but totally support the institutions that make war possible, even probably.

Two factors make war more likely. Being able to conscript young men as soldiers, and having an unlimited abi ...[text shortened]... iption of young men and the manipulation of money to fund wars represents some form of slavery.
    Clearly you didn't watch the video.
  9. 24 Feb '13 16:52 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Clearly you didn't watch the video.
    Aux contrair. It is still in a tab in the browser on my tablet. I'll review it. Done. I got it the first time.
  10. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    24 Feb '13 16:57

Interesting ideas...so, what's your solution, live on your own little island, and form the country of jimmac?
  11. 24 Feb '13 17:12

Two factors make war more likely. Being able to conscript young men as soldiers, and having an unlimited abi ...[text shortened]... iption of young men and the manipulation of money to fund wars represents some form of slavery.
    The 21st Century has, so far, been a lot less violent than previous centuries. The 20th Century, in turn, was a lot less violent than the 19th Century, even considering WWI and WW2. One could wonder why this is the case. Would you submit that it is because of a reduction in the application of conscription and taxation authority of governments?
  12. 24 Feb '13 17:15
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    The 21st Century has, so far, been a lot less violent than previous centuries. The 20th Century, in turn, was a lot less violent than the 19th Century, even considering WWI and WW2. One could wonder why this is the case. Would you submit that it is because of a reduction in the application of conscription and taxation authority of governments?
    I don't know if I swallow your premises. The hard tyranny of the 19th century is being replaced by modern human farming techniques, which seem less invasive, but are nonetheless dependent on violence and threats.
  13. 24 Feb '13 17:46 / 1 edit

It concludes:

"Wake up. To see the farm is to leave it."

It shows a bird flying away.

Well of course the bird flies away. It isn't human, cursed with awareness and fear of death, as pointed out at the start of the piece.

After the piece links the drive to enslave others to our being human and knowing death, waking up isn't enough. This is a case where knowing the truth doesn't set you free.
  14. 24 Feb '13 20:20
    Originally posted by JS357
    It concludes:

"Wake up. To see the farm is to leave it."

It shows a bird flying away.

Well of course the bird flies away. It isn't human, cursed with awareness and fear of death, as pointed out at the start of the piece.

After the piece links the drive to enslave others to our being human and knowing death, waking up isn't enough. This is a case where knowing the truth doesn't set you free.
    It is pretty difficult to escape the human state of being.
  15. 24 Feb '13 20:28
    I don't know if I swallow your premises. The hard tyranny of the 19th century is being replaced by modern human farming techniques, which seem less invasive, but are nonetheless dependent on violence and threats.
    You seem very worried about your freedom. Why don't you go live in a cabin in the woods? The government won't mind, just don't kill a bunch of people before you go.