Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Feb '17 14:58 / 1 edit
    Dims, are you tired of Trump yet? Do you really think he will be made to leave office? LOL. In fact, why was "W" not held accountable for lying about WMD's when he was President?

Repubes, what ever happened to the Trump claim that Hillary belongs behind bars? He changed his mind, no, in fact, he lied. Now all she does is mock him with her tweets and deservingly so.

What the federal government has shown us is that it is incapable of self rule. It has too much power, too much money, and an army of sycophants in both parties to ensure that it continues. No one is held accountable, all we have is the flinging of never ending poo, like monkeys in a cage with a $20 trillion debt to boot.

To Dims and Repubes, are you tired of every Presidential election one half of the country demands to secede?

It's time for states to rise up and have Dims and Repubes band together to overthrow the chains of a hand full of elitists who rule over all of us. It's time to return power to the states like it was originally designed by the Founding Fathers.
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Feb '17 16:24 / 1 edit
    The Founders already tried giving power to the states under the Articles of Confederation, and that failed. The central government couldn't enforce basic laws, like taxation to help repay the debt from from the Revolutionary War. Those same Founders then decided we need a strong central government, and designed the Constitution.

History would be "doomed to repeat" itself if we forget why we abandoned your idea in the first place.
  3. 16 Feb '17 17:32
    Originally posted by vivify
    The Founders already tried giving power to the states under the Articles of Confederation, and that failed. The central government couldn't enforce basic laws, like taxation to help repay the debt from from the Revolutionary War. Those same Founders then decided we need a strong central government, and designed the Constitution.

History would be "doomed to repeat" itself if we forget why we abandoned your idea in the first place.
    Why do you think in such simplistic terms?

Term limits for Congress is a good place to start.

About 75%, or more, of Americans favor term limits for Congress. Google any source and you will see I'm right.

If term limits are good for the President, why not Congress? It's because Congress has the power to create term limits, and they will never do it to themselves.

In 1947, Congress passed term limit laws on the President after FDR was elected for more than 2 terms as President. They wrote, "too much power for too long is a corrupting influence" as the reason for their actions.

So I ask you, what makes Congress any better? The Article V movement is the ONLY way to get this done.

The majority of Americans support it in both parties, so why can't we "hook up" and get it done? Do we want a democracy or continued federal government rule?
  4. 16 Feb '17 17:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by vivify

You do realize that the United States is fracturing apart, right? Do you give a damn?

More to the point, do we want law and order to bring about change through democracy or eventual mob rule or governmental collapse? As the fringes in each party increase, which we see today, this realization will eventually occur.

It's to the point that certain Congressmen and women refuse to attend a Presidential inauguration for the other party as they decry them illegitimate. How can such a government function or how much longer can it function?.
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    16 Feb '17 17:50
    Oh, there's nothing like a meglo-maniac in power to get the proletariate clinging onto dreams and false hopes.

I love it!!!
  6. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    16 Feb '17 17:54
    Originally posted by whodey

About 75%, or more, of Americans favor term limits for Congress. Google any source and you will see I'm right.

If term limits are good for the President, why not Congress? It's because Congress has the power to create term limits, and they will neve ...[text shortened]... n't we "hook up" and get it done? Do we want a democracy or continued federal government rule?
    The difficulty with term limits is that you will be left with inexperienced politicians.
  7. 16 Feb '17 17:54
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Oh, there's nothing like a meglo-maniac in power to get the proletariate clinging onto dreams and false hopes.

I love it!!!
    I am attempting to reduce the power and influence of the said meglo-maniacs Shav.

Assuming you don't have one in power, it's only a matter of time.
  8. 16 Feb '17 17:56 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The difficulty with term limits is that you will be left with inexperienced politicians.
    Which, I think will agree, can be both good and bad. There is no utopia except in the mind of an ideologue.

The issue here for me is, average citizens creating a society that they know they will wind back in very shortly.

For example, to say that Congress will impose health care on us that is separate from what those in Congress will have is unacceptable. I want a health care system that Congress embraces for itself.

It's just that simple.
  9. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    16 Feb '17 18:03
    I am attempting to reduce the power and influence of the said meglo-maniacs Shav.

Assuming you don't have one in power, it's only a matter of time.
    You still don't seem to get it.

Do I need to spell it for you?
  10. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    16 Feb '17 18:15 / 1 edit
    Which, I think will agree, can be both good and bad. There is no utopia except in the mind of an ideologue.

The issue here for me is, average citizens creating a society that they know they will wind back in very shortly.

For example, to say that Congress will impose health care on us that is separate from what those in Congress will have is unacceptable. I want a health care system that Congress embraces for itself.

It's just that simple.
    Do you think inexperienced diplomats are a good idea or soldiers, giving the name Green Berets a new meaning, or maybe inexperienced surgeons?
  11. 16 Feb '17 19:05
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Do you think inexperienced diplomats are a good idea or soldiers, giving the name Green Berets a new meaning, or maybe inexperienced surgeons?
    I don't think inexperienced parliamentarians are necessarily problematic. They're not the ones actually writing legislation - they have aides for that. Their job is to assess what (their) voters want and translate that into policy.
  12. Standard member Soothfastonline
    16 Feb '17 19:25
    Oh glorious and terrible irony...
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Feb '17 20:52

If term limits are good for the President, why not Congress? It's because Congress has the power to create term limits, and they will neve ...[text shortened]... n't we "hook up" and get it done? Do we want a democracy or continued federal government rule?
    I was responding to your "return power to the states" bit. I'm fine with term limits.
  14. Standard member vivify
    rain
    16 Feb '17 21:01
    You do realize that the United States is fracturing apart, right? Do you give a damn?

More to the point, do we want law and order to bring about change through democracy or eventual mob rule or governmental collapse? As the fringes in each party increase, which we see today, this realization will eventually occur.

It's to the point that certain Congre ...[text shortened]... ecry them illegitimate. How can such a government function or how much longer can it function?.
    It's to the point that certain Congressmen and women refuse to attend a Presidential inauguration for the other party as they decry them illegitimate. How can such a government function or how much longer can it function?

You realize this reaks of fascism, right? How can you, in the same post, talk about democracy, then condemn the act right to protest by skipping an event you're not required to be at?

This attitude of yours explains why you approve of "the President won't be questioned" mantra with Trump.
  15. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    17 Feb '17 08:10
    Dims, are you tired of Trump yet? Do you really think he will be made to leave office? LOL. In fact, why was "W" not held accountable for lying about WMD's when he was President?

Repubes, what ever happened to the Trump claim that Hillary belongs behind bars? He changed his mind, no, in fact, he lied. Now all she does is mock him with her tweets and de ...[text shortened]... It's time to return power to the states like it was originally designed by the Founding Fathers.
    Anarchy is so yesterday.