Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1391
    06 Aug '18 20:43
    A Jewish woman, spurred by the Holocaust to help undocumented immigrants, in an interview she said. "I grew up in the time where the Holocaust was not so far behind me," says the woman. "There was always that awareness, as a Jew, that it's possible to be kicked out of a country where people thought they were home. And many of those people didn't make it." She says there is a strong feeling in the Jewish community. "We cannot let this happen. It's our responsibility. What was done to us cannot happen to other people."

    I believe this is a reflection of how far out of the mainstream Donald Trump has gone, and I hope this ladies actions inspire others to do the same. 🙂

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/california-immigrant-safe-house/index.html
  2. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    06 Aug '18 21:08
    Originally posted by @mchill
    A Jewish woman, spurred by the Holocaust to help undocumented immigrants, in an interview she said. "I grew up in the time where the Holocaust was not so far behind me," says the woman. "There was always that awareness, as a Jew, that it's possible to be kicked out of a country where people thought they were home. And many of those people didn't make it." Sh ...[text shortened]... do the same. 🙂

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/california-immigrant-safe-house/index.html
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anne-frank-refugee/

    "Was Anne Frank Denied Refugee Status by the U.S.?
    Documents uncovered in 2007 revealed that Anne Frank's father, Otto Frank,
    desperately attempted to immigrate with his family to the United States."

    "The family of Anne Frank sought (and was denied) refugee status in the United States."
    TRUE.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    06 Aug '18 21:15
    YouTube

    Everything seemed alright under Obama, at least, according to the media.
  4. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1391
    06 Aug '18 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anne-frank-refugee/

    "Was Anne Frank Denied Refugee Status by the U.S.?
    Documents uncovered in 2007 revealed that Anne Frank's father, Otto Frank,
    desperately attempted to immigrate with his family to the United States."

    "The family of Anne Frank sought (and was denied) refugee status in the United States."
    TRUE.
    Thank You for proving my point Duchess. 🙂
  5. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    06 Aug '18 21:44
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Thank You for proving my point Duchess. 🙂
    In an earlier thread that I created about the USA denying refugee status to the Frank family,
    Mchill apparently approved of that decision by the US government.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1391
    07 Aug '18 03:44
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    In an earlier thread that I created about the USA denying refugee status to the Frank family,
    Mchill apparently approved of that decision by the US government.
    I see compassion is not a very popular theme these days.

    Duchess - I think the love has gone out of our relationship. 🙁
  7. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    07 Aug '18 06:40
    Originally posted by @mchill
    A Jewish woman, spurred by the Holocaust to help undocumented immigrants, in an interview she said. "I grew up in the time where the Holocaust was not so far behind me," says the woman. "There was always that awareness, as a Jew, that it's possible to be kicked out of a country where people thought they were home. And many of those people didn't make it." Sh ...[text shortened]... do the same. 🙂

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/california-immigrant-safe-house/index.html
    On the contrary, racism is now so mainstream in the U.S. that you can kick off your election campaign with a racist slogan and win the election because of it.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Joined
    31 May '12
    Moves
    2415
    07 Aug '18 06:51
    Originally posted by @mchill
    A Jewish woman, spurred by the Holocaust to help undocumented immigrants, in an interview she said. "I grew up in the time where the Holocaust was not so far behind me," says the woman. "There was always that awareness, as a Jew, that it's possible to be kicked out of a country where people thought they were home. And many of those people didn't make it." Sh ...[text shortened]... do the same. 🙂

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/us/california-immigrant-safe-house/index.html
    You mean, like kicking the Palestinians out of their home?
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Joined
    31 Jan '04
    Moves
    56264
    07 Aug '18 07:04
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    In an earlier thread that I created about the USA denying refugee status to the Frank family,
    Mchill apparently approved of that decision by the US government.
    In an earlier thread, I and various others (can’t remember who) argued that the US at the time of Frank’s request had no reason to treat the request with any kind of exception or priority.

    I can’t speak for anyone else, but borders are the problem and they should be thrown in history’s garbage can.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    7289
    07 Aug '18 13:34
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    On the contrary, racism is now so mainstream in the U.S. that you can kick off your election campaign with a racist slogan and win the election because of it.
    Now!?
  11. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    07 Aug '18 19:15
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I see compassion is not a very popular theme these days.

    Duchess - I think the love has gone out of our relationship. 🙁
    As usual, Mchill evidently objects to my accurate reporting of what he wrote earlier,
    which may be inconsistent with what he writes now.
  12. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    09 Aug '18 20:47
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/09/laura-ingraham-fox-news-attacks-immigrants

    "Laura Ingraham condemned after saying immigrants destroy ‘the America we love’ "

    "The conservative Laura Ingraham used her [Fox News] TV show to blame immigrants –
    legal and illegal alike – for destroying “the America we know and love” in comments
    Wednesday night that drew a swift backlash."

    "Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people.
    And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don’t like."
    --Laura Ingraham

    "Dear Laura Ingraham: I served on active duty to defend your right to make racist statements,
    America is not a race or demographic. It’s a beautiful & bold idea, based on life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness."
    --Ted Lieu (member of the House of Representatives from California, ethnic Chinese immigrant from Taiwan)

    'Make America whiter again' is an implicit slogan of the Republican Party.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65514
    09 Aug '18 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/aug/09/laura-ingraham-fox-news-attacks-immigrants

    "Laura Ingraham condemned after saying immigrants destroy ‘the America we love’ "

    "The conservative Laura Ingraham used her [Fox News] TV show to blame immigrants –
    legal and illegal alike – for destroying “the America we know and love” in comments
    Wednesday ...[text shortened]... grant from Taiwan)

    'Make America whiter again' is an implicit slogan of the Republican Party.
    D "'Make America whiter again' is an implicit slogan of the Republican Party".

    "immigrants" is not a race.

    Many 'immigrants' are white.

    duchess logic 🙄
  14. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    09 Aug '18 21:06
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    D "'Make America whiter again' is an implicit slogan of the Republican Party".

    "immigrants" is not a race.

    Many 'immigrants' are white.

    duchess logic 🙄
    There's no evidence that Laura Ingraham objects to most, if any, white immigration.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laura-ingraham-white-nationalism_us_5b6c5728e4b0bdd0620727b1

    "Laura Ingraham Has Been Peddling White Nationalism For Years: A Reminder"

    "Ingraham has been preaching for years to white Americans who feel anxious about the
    country’s evolving demographics, demonizing immigrants and championing a nostalgic
    version of the past that doesn’t live up to its rosy ideal."

    https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/opinions/laura-ingraham-awful-immigrant-remark-cupp/index.html

    "What Laura Ingraham said was awful. And unsurprising."

    "It ['national emergency'] was, instead, "massive demographic changes."
    What once might have been a dog whistle is officially a scream, voiced over the
    airwaves of the President's favorite cable news network."

    "She's complaining that people who come to America from other countries -- even
    legally -- are making this country unrecognizable to her. Indeed, to "us."
    Who "us" means is also clear: Fox News viewers, who are predominantly 65 and older and white.
    I know many of those viewers, and I'm sad to say that message probably resonated with a lot of them."

    Laura Ingraham's a hateful racist, and, as such, will be strongly supported by many hateful racists here.
  15. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    65514
    09 Aug '18 22:06
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    There's no evidence that Laura Ingraham objects to most, if any, white immigration.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laura-ingraham-white-nationalism_us_5b6c5728e4b0bdd0620727b1

    "Laura Ingraham Has Been Peddling White Nationalism For Years: A Reminder"

    "Ingraham has been preaching for years to white Americans who feel anxious about the
    coun ...[text shortened]... raham's a hateful racist, and, as such, will be strongly supported by many hateful racists here.
    Again, I don't see anything about race other than dream feeling projections.
Back to Top