Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 14 May '17 00:07
    "There's an awful lot of books, though. Don't hold much with that.
    People that reads books much seem to be queer-like. Grandpa always
    said, 'Reading' rots the mind.' Don't know but what he was right."
    --Tim (from _Rabbit Hill_ by Robert Lawson)
  2. 14 May '17 02:08
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Just for you.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Kampf
  3. 14 May '17 07:04
    The Value of Reading
    I would say information technology, insurance and its proximity to London.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading,_Berkshire
  4. 14 May '17 09:24
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I would say information technology, insurance and its proximity to London.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading,_Berkshire
    Drawbacks are a horribly overcrowded one-way system, expensive shopping parking and a general ambient grottiness in many areas.
  5. Subscriber Ponderable
    chemist
    14 May '17 14:38
    The reader at least have to think a bit. Even novels increase the ability to empathise.
  6. 14 May '17 20:56 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    Just for you.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Kampf
    Ignorant admirers of Donald Trump may be expected to discount the value of reading.

In the Third Reich, most homes had both a copy of _Mein Kampf_ and of the Bible.
    Which book was more often read or followed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler%27s_private_library

"Hitler himself was a voracious reader: he claimed to read at least one book a night, if not more."

"Baldur von Schirach, the leader of the Hitlerjugend claimed that Hitler had about 6,000 volumes
    and that he had read each one. Other estimates put his collection at 16,000 volumes.
    Historians say that 2/3 of his collection was untouched and that the remaining items
    contained his own notes and marks."
  7. Subscriber joe shmo
    Strange Egg
    14 May '17 21:41 / 1 edit
    I read mainly for information as a basis to a skill I wish to aquire, not particularly for joy. I believe there is a limit (and this depends strongly on the skill of the reader and writer) on the amount of "knowledge" that can be obtained by reading.

For instance: One can probably read on how to ride a bicyce. However, that read knowledge does't translate into actually riding a bike.

I have also read things, confidently believed I had comprehended the material. Then in trying to apply it realized I'm actually quite out of my depth. I believe being able to read something often gives us a false sense of confidence (which in the profession of Engineering for example can be quite dangerous)
  8. 14 May '17 22:17
    "Read ye, therefore, as much of the Qur'an as may be easy (for you)."
    --from the Qu'ran (Chapter 73, Verse 20)

http://s.telegraph.co.uk/graphics/projects/koran-carla-power/

"What the Koran Really Says About Women"
    --Carla Power (a secular Western feminist of Jewish heritage)

"When I told a Muslim friend of mine that I was to be studying the Koran with a sheikh,
    she had one request. “Ask him,”she said, “why Muslim men treat women so badly.”
    When I did, he said it was because men weren’t reading the Koran properly.
    All too often, people read the Koran selectively, the Sheikh explained, taking phrases out of context.
    “People just use it for whatever point they want to make,” he shrugged. “They come to it
    with their own ideas and look for verses that confirm what they want to hear.” "

"..the Sheikh. He wouldn’t call himself a feminist. Just a Muslim who has read his Koran."

"From the moment the first revelation—“Read!”—came down to the Prophet, Islam was
    established as a faith of the word. The good Muslim must read the sources. But with a
    text as intricate and powerful as the Koran, reading meant far more than mere literacy."
  9. 15 May '17 01:44
    Ignorant admirers of Donald Trump may be expected to discount the value of reading.

In the Third Reich, most homes had both a copy of _Mein Kampf_ and of the Bible.
    Which book was more often read or followed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler%27s_private_library

"Hitler himself was a voracious reader: he claimed to read at least one book ...[text shortened]... his collection was untouched and that the remaining items
    contained his own notes and marks."
    Yes, those who read the teachings of Jesus followed him by killing Jews in concentration camps.

Nicely done.
  10. 15 May '17 02:04 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, those who read the teachings of Jesus followed him by killing Jews in concentration camps.
    Nicely done.
    I expect that the lying troll Whodey wants to deny anti-Semitism in Christianity or Christian traditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_antisemitism

"Christian rhetoric and antipathy towards Jews developed in the early years of Christianity and
    was reinforced by the belief that Jews had killed Christ and ever increasing anti-Jewish
    measures over the ensuing centuries. The action taken by Christians against Jews included
    acts of violence, and murder culminating in the Holocaust."

I suspect that Whodey will attempt to blame Muslims for all anti-Semitism by Christians.
  11. 15 May '17 03:57 / 1 edit
    I expect that the lying troll Whodey wants to deny anti-Semitism in Christianity or Christian traditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_antisemitism

"Christian rhetoric and antipathy towards Jews developed in the early years of Christianity and
    was reinforced by the belief that Jews had killed Christ and ever increasing anti-Jewish ...[text shortened]... st."

I suspect that Whodey will attempt to blame Muslims for all anti-Semitism by Christians.
    The "Christian" to whom you speak were convinced by the church and state that Jews needed to be persecuted. in fact, such persecution could not have been as successful without a theocratic rule.

Before Christianity delved into theocratic rule no such persecution existed nor would it have.

As for Islam, they are incapable of leaving politics out of their religion thanks to the teachings of Mo, and will continue to persecute Jews and the Zionist nation as a result.

Jesus, on the other hand, said that his kingdom was not of this world nor could be, hence the delusion that state and religion could become as one is theologically flawed to a large degree.

There is no way to demonize the teachings of Christ and attribute them to the behavior to which you refer. However, I can show you teachings of Mo that justify such treatment of other human beings.
  12. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    15 May '17 07:26
    ...Before Christianity delved into theocratic rule no such persecution existed nor would it have.
    ...There is no way to demonize the teachings of Christ and attribute them to the behavior to which you refer.....
    So it's all the fault of the Catholics?

Protestant America and it's embrace of the State of Israel gets an easy pass?
  13. 15 May '17 11:20
    I don't often read books any more, I do however write them by way of a hobby, which I find an enormously rewarding pastime. Nine volumes so far; an ongoing ripping yarn about life in an English village, which is perhaps ironic since I don't live there anymore, but perhaps that's the reason I write them. I don't suppose I'm allowed to advertise here, but anyone interested can PM me for further details!
  14. 15 May '17 19:24
    The "Christian" to whom you speak were convinced by the church and state that Jews needed to be persecuted. in fact, such persecution could not have been as successful without a theocratic rule.

Before Christianity delved into theocratic rule no such persecution existed nor would it have.

As for Islam, they are incapable of leaving politics out of thei ...[text shortened]... fer. However, I can show you teachings of Mo that justify such treatment of other human beings.
    When the European Christian crusaders took Jerusalem, they massacred Muslim and Jewish civilians.
    Jerusalem's Jews had supported the Muslims in defending their city from such a fate.
  15. 15 May '17 20:12
    Originally posted by kmax87
    So it's all the fault of the Catholics?

Protestant America and it's embrace of the State of Israel gets an easy pass?
    It is the fault of Constantine who was no even a Christian.

I suppose he saw a religion that grew even though they were persecuted heavily and decided it would behoove him politically to jump aboard.