Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 29 Nov '17 14:09
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/19/us/politics/wes-goodman-ohio-republican.html

A GOP Congressman has resigned from office after admitting he had a consensual gay affair while in office. This happened after he ran against legalizing gay marriage and tried to promote family values for the religious right of the GOP wing.

But as hypocritical as he is, and despicable, it should be noted that it was a consensual affair, he admitted to it, and he resigned.

As a result, I can only come to the conclusion that he is far more respectable than most in Congress, like Franken, Conyers, Jesse Jackson, etc.,etc., etc., who have sexual scandals looming over head but refuse to step down.

In short, Goodman is the better man.
  2. 29 Nov '17 14:26
    Originally posted by @whodey

A GOP Congressman has resigned from office after admitting he had a consensual gay affair while in office. This happened after he ran against legalizing gay marriage and tried to promote family values for the religious right of the GOP wing.

But as hypocritical as he is, a ...[text shortened]... xual scandals looming over head but refuse to step down.

He stepped down because he was found "guilty" of the one thing he had been fighting against.

He stepped down because he literally couldn't do anything else.

Also noteworthy, he didn't step down back in 2015:

"In 2015, he was accused of sexually assaulting an 18 year old man. This was reported to Tony Perkins, head of the Family Research Council, who confronted Goodman about the allegation and referred to other "similar incidents". Perkins withdrew his political support but Goodman did not withdraw his candidacy for the Ohio legislature, and not long afterwards he was elected. These incidents were apparently never reported to the police and did not become public knowledge until after his resignation.[7]"
  3. 29 Nov '17 14:41 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @great-king-rat
    He stepped down because he was found "guilty" of the one thing he had been fighting against.

He stepped down because he literally couldn't do anything else.

Also noteworthy, he didn't step down back in 2015:

"In 2015, he was accused of sexually assaulting an 18 year old man. This was reported to Tony Perkins, head of the Family Resear ...[text shortened]... ever reported to the police and did not become public knowledge until after his resignation.[7]"
    Assuming the sexual assault accusation is factored in or even true, he is still the better man because he resigned.

Obviously, if the sexual assault charge is true he will likely not face any other repercussions due to his political connections.

Congress is where sexual predators go to live. There they hide behind the skirts of the political establishment, much like pedophiles run to the Priesthood to hide behind the cloak of the Pope.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Nov '17 14:47
    Assuming the sexual assault accusation is factored in or even true, he is still the better man because he resigned.

Obviously, if the sexual assault charge is true he will likely not face any other repercussions due to his political connections.

Congress is where sexual predators go to live. There they hide behind the skirts of the political establishment, much like pedophiles run to the Priesthood to hide behind the cloak of the Pope.
    Ok, lets get the ten GOP dudes to resign and the 2 Dem's to resign. I can live with that.
  5. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    29 Nov '17 15:06
    ....In short, Goodman is the better man.
    I'm not so sure...

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/wes-goodman-religious-conservatism-inc-tony-perkins/

The story as always seems a lot worse than your initial report....
    Here are a few excerpts from the article by Rod Dreher in the American Conservative called, Wes Goodman & Religious Conservatism, Inc. • November 19, 2017:-

"Turns out that Ohio State Rep. Wes Goodman, has been leading a secret promiscuous gay life, despite being married and opposing LGBT rights in his career as a conservative activist and legislator. The story is lurid, including allegations that he propositioned college students who were political activists, inviting them to join him (and sometimes him and his wife) for sex. ......

Those who received Goodman’s alleged messages were scared to report him for fear that it would damage career prospects. They also viewed Goodman as a mentor-like figure who could help them find jobs after college.

Turns out that a lot of people in conservative circles knew about Goodman’s behavior, but didn’t want to hurt their own careers.

To me, this is the more important story here: how the religious right organization handled the fondling, which occurred after a fundraising dinner for Goodman. From the Washington Post:....The frightened teenager fled the room and told his mother and stepfather, who demanded action from the head of the organization hosting the conference.... “If we endorse these types of individuals, then it would seem our whole weekend together was nothing more than a charade,” the stepfather wrote to Tony Perkins, president of the Council for National Policy.

“Trust me . . . this will not be ignored nor swept aside,” replied Perkins, who also heads the Family Research Council, a prominent evangelical activist group. “It will be dealt with swiftly, but with prudence.”

The incident, described in emails and documents obtained by The Washington Post, never became public, nor did unspecified prior “similar incidents” Perkins referred to in a letter to candidate Wesley Goodman. The correspondence shows Perkins privately asked Goodman to drop out of the race and suspended him from the council, but Goodman continued his campaign and went on to defeat two fellow Republicans in a hotly contested primary before winning his seat last November.

The Post has a photocopy of a 2015 letter that Perkins sent to Goodman, congratulating him on his therapy, but advising him that he ought not to seek political office until he has dealt with his homosexual behavior. Perkins said that he was “disappointed” by Goodman’s decision to run for state office, and kicked him off of the Council for National Policy.

Here’s the thing, though: Perkins and others who knew what Goodman had done in the hotel room let him continue his rise in conservative politics, knowing that he was a potential time bomb. How many social and religious conservative donors, activists, and voters would have supported an Evangelical rising star had they known that he was at least once willing to commit adultery, with a young man, and by sexually assaulting him? The answer, of course, is none. Worse, Perkins et al. knew that if Goodman could not be trusted to have gotten his behavior under control — and Perkins clearly did not trust him on this, which is why he kicked him out of the CNP — then they had reason to fear the day when Goodman was exposed as a hypocrite.

Worse, they had reason to believe that Goodman, who defied Perkins’s counsel to stay out of politics until he had his private life in order, would be at risk of sexually assaulting other young men, as well as committing adultery.

But they stayed silent as Goodman’s star began to rise, thus passively aiding his rise.

So, Tony Perkins, the most powerful religious right figure in Washington, helped hide from other conservatives, as well as the public, that junior Republican politician Wesley Goodman, despite his façade as a Bible-believing family man, was an adulterous gay groper. Why?

Perkins owes a lot of people an explanation. Are there any other elected Republican officials he and other top conservatives who knew but concealed the truth about Goodman, are covering up for?

Leaving aside the moral aspect of all this, if the Ohio GOP — and Tony Perkins in Washington — knew what Wes Goodman was really about, and saw that this is how he was promoting himself to voters, as a matter of simple self-preservation, why did they let him continue?

Who else in state or national Republican politics knew the truth about Wes Goodman, and were in a position to stop him, but said nothing? I can understand young men aspiring to careers in GOP politics not reporting him. They ought to have done so, because it was the right thing to have done, but Goodman was in a position to harm them professionally. What about those Republicans and conservative activists like Perkins who knew the truth about Goodman, and who could not be hurt by him? Was it the case that young men propositioned lewdly by Goodman, who was well-connected in Republican politics, were afraid not so much of Goodman but his protectors?

Goodman has resigned his state office, and he’s done for in politics. But there’s more to this story that needs to come out. How complicit was Religious Conservatism, Inc., in this debacle — and why? Maybe there are good explanations for these actions, or lack of action, and if so, let’s hear them. Because right now, the conservative grassroots has to be wondering how much it can trust its Washington leadership.

Was Tony Perkins’s decision to stay silent as Wes Goodman’s political star rose in any way related to a desire to have a reliably conservative vote in the Ohio statehouse, even though he knew the man was a groper? I find it hard to believe that someone of Perkins’s national stature would worry so much about the Ohio statehouse, but given that Evangelicals (like Perkins) have established a reputation of overlooking credible accusations of sexual predation for the sake of supporting politicians who vote as they wish, the question remains.
  6. 29 Nov '17 15:53
    Apparently my post was removed, I assume because it contained the word "poophole".

Meanwhile, this forum is littered with racist bs left and right and virtually every thread eventually gets destroyed by Duchess and her "me against the world" nonsense.

Fantastic.

Let's see how quickly the RHP prudes take this message down.
  7. 29 Nov '17 16:04
    Apparently my post was removed, I assume because it contained the word "poophole".

Meanwhile, this forum is littered with racist bs left and right and virtually every thread eventually gets destroyed by Duchess and her "me against the world" nonsense.

Fantastic.

It is amazing that language is policed but not personal insults.
  8. 29 Nov '17 16:10
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    It is amazing that language is policed but not personal insults.
    I called Whodey a simpleton. Maybe that's what upset RHP-headquarters.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    29 Nov '17 16:19

But as hypocritical as he is, a ...[text shortened]... xual scandals looming over head but refuse to step down.

So you compliment an abject hypocrite alleged to have committed sexual assault, because he belongs to your party.

Sounds about right for conservatives.
  10. 29 Nov '17 17:33 / 1 edit

Fantastic.

Yes, but why are you such a foul mouthed racist?
  11. 29 Nov '17 17:33 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @vivify
    So you compliment an abject hypocrite alleged to have committed sexual assault, because he belongs to your party.

Sounds about right for conservatives.
    It's the best the US Congress can produce it seems.

In any other capacity of society he would be equal to dung, but then, Congress is able to go even lower it seems.

Congers not only lies with impunity, they also are free to rape it's own citizens, both financially and literally.

Speaking of which, I think the GOP is about to take away the middle class tax deductions of home mortgage interest as well as deducting taxes paid to the state. I reckon it was better than Obamacare that caused the largest tax increase on the middle class in US history.

I wonder which one of them is jerking off on the internet today.
  12. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    29 Nov '17 18:03

He stepped down because of blatent hypocrisy.... on his part!
  13. 29 Nov '17 18:13
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    He stepped down because of blatent hypocrisy.... on his part!
    And the rest of Congress has not resigned, why exactly?
  14. 29 Nov '17 18:15 / 1 edit
    I called Whodey a simpleton. Maybe that's what upset RHP-headquarters.
    If it were not for the intellectual giants in government taking care of us as they are jerking off on the internet, simple people like me would be dying in the streets!
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    29 Nov '17 18:41

Fantastic.

"Poophole' with that spelling? Or was is assshole with 2 s's? The auto censor allows some odd combinations but not others. I imagine the word "Asssembly' with 2 s's would be blocked out, I have seen variations on that.