Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    25 Mar '16 19:42
    http://www.startribune.com/the-school-safety-debate-mollycoddle-no-more/372619741/
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    25 Mar '16 21:05
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    http://www.startribune.com/the-school-safety-debate-mollycoddle-no-more/372619741/
    The nexus of the problem is the notion that education, and other things are entitlements, and that every child is forced to get an education from the State until age 16. Lots of kids are simply not interested, and waste the time and energy of teachers, and the students who do want to learn.

    Part of the apathy of the students may be traced back to apathy of parents, who also don't value education, or participate only because it is an entitlement, or worse a requirement.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52852
    25 Mar '16 21:08
    Originally posted by normbenign
    The nexus of the problem is the notion that education, and other things are entitlements, and that every child is forced to get an education from the State until age 16. Lots of kids are simply not interested, and waste the time and energy of teachers, and the students who do want to learn.

    Part of the apathy of the students may be traced back to ap ...[text shortened]... don't value education, or participate only because it is an entitlement, or worse a requirement.
    I imagine this effect is one of the factors that led to the end of the Roman empire.

    I think it is a sign of the deterioration of the US as a world power.

    When the younger generation gets so totally jaded they are not interested in anything but getting on the dole, that is a clear sign of a society in the throes of deterioration.

    Like a cancer spreading on a patient, at some point, untreated, the patient dies.
  4. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    25 Mar '16 21:14
    They "can" be disciplined but it would be a bad idea since violence is bad.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Joined
    21 Oct '06
    Moves
    2598
    25 Mar '16 21:47
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They "can" be disciplined but it would be a bad idea since violence is bad.
    Discipline need not be violent. The root word means learning. Even the more descriptive word, punishment, need not be violent.
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    25 Mar '16 23:16
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They "can" be disciplined but it would be a bad idea since violence is bad.
    It all started 40 years ago when they abolished corporal punishment.
    Kids today know there are no consequences and they can do anything they want.
  7. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    26 Mar '16 10:19
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    It all started 40 years ago when they abolished corporal punishment.
    Kids today know there are no consequences and they can do anything they want.
    Old farts today are just like old farts of yesteryear - they complain about kids today.
  8. Cape Town
    Joined
    14 Apr '05
    Moves
    52945
    26 Mar '16 11:40
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Old farts today are just like old farts of yesteryear - they complain about kids today.
    But it got considerably worse with the invention of the internet which allowed old farts to be heard beyond their immediate, more tolerant, family members.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    26 Mar '16 11:44
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Old farts today are just like old farts of yesteryear - they complain about kids today.
    Here's one teacher's description of what's going on today versus 30 years ago when she started teaching , but of course you probably will refuse to read it:
    http://www.twincities.com/2015/12/16/st-paul-teacher-on-school-violence-we-are-afraid/
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    12091
    26 Mar '16 17:312 edits
    I'm working at a School Improvement Grant school now and have had my eyes opened to the problem at failing schools.

    I left a failing school early in teaching career because of the frustration of trying to teach kids who had no intention of doing something other than showing up because they had to.

    The ones at this school do well with this model:

    Get them to do something very basic that has something to do with the topic. This should take no more than 10 min of example and 10 min of work. Let them have the rest of the hour to get on their cell phones(Obama phones at work) and talk. This of course is the first day, the next few days should be made up of only 10 min of easy work followed up by the rest of the hour talking. After a few days maybe go outside or maybe watch a movie. One teacher was having high school kids watch Cars.

    Kids are happy
    Kids get good grades so parents are happy
    Teacher doesn't get frustrated trying to actually teach so the teacher is happy

    Everyone is happy.
  11. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    26 Mar '16 18:331 edit
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    Here's one teacher's description of what's going on today versus 30 years ago when she started teaching , but of course you probably will refuse to read it:
    http://www.twincities.com/2015/12/16/st-paul-teacher-on-school-violence-we-are-afraid/
    30 years ago people were using automatic weapons in drive by shootings here in Los Angeles. They don't do that any more.

    Paul Rodriguez (possible language warning)
    YouTube

    Well, the white kids still shoot up schools. Not so much the drive by shooting from back then. More of a suicidal berserk assault where they don't even try to escape.

    Sons of Anarchy school shooting (language, violence)
    YouTube
  12. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    26 Mar '16 18:47
    Originally posted by FishHead111 to KazetNagorra
    It all started 40 years ago when they abolished corporal punishment.
    Kids today know there are no consequences and they can do anything they want.
    Prussia's King Frederick the Great opposed the corporal punishment of children in his model schools.
    In contrast, his army was renowned for its brutal discipline, including its beatings of soldiers.
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    02 Jan '15
    Moves
    10189
    26 Mar '16 23:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    30 years ago people were using automatic weapons in drive by shootings here in Los Angeles. They don't do that any more.

    Paul Rodriguez (possible language warning)
    [youtube]0gu5l7doS80[/youtube]

    Well, the white kids still shoot up schools. Not so much the drive by shooting from back then. More of a suicidal berserk assault where they don't ...[text shortened]... escape.

    Sons of Anarchy school shooting (language, violence)
    [youtube]dDaSUlVBVEw[/youtube]
    You put up a comedy routine and a music video to prove your point?
    Here's a video of a classroom today.
    Watch it.
    YouTube&list=FLCY7ncaNn44ysucXaUlzdBQ
  14. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    iEn guardia, Ingles!
    tinyurl.com/y43jqfyd
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    27 Mar '16 04:494 edits
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    You put up a comedy routine and a music video to prove your point?
    Here's a video of a classroom today.
    Watch it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wanGzO9B_NM&list=FLCY7ncaNn44ysucXaUlzdBQ
    Thread 166114

    Page 12, post 11

    I posted this video clip 4 months ago. One of my black students put it on Facebook the day after it happened. He said he admired the teacher very much.

    What's your point? That level of violence is very minor. Nothing like high school drive by shootings back in the day.

    wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Los_Angeles

    In 2012, the Los Angeles Police Department reported that crime had declined in the city for the 10th consecutive year. In 2013, Los Angeles reported 246 homicides in the city proper, which corresponds to a rate of 6.3 per 100,000 population—a notable decrease from 1980, when the all time homicide rate of 34.2 per 100,000 population was reported for the year.
  15. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    27 Mar '16 09:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'm working at a School Improvement Grant school now and have had my eyes opened to the problem at failing schools.
    They hire people like you?
Back to Top