1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 07:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are now either stumbling - genuinely confused - over what it was you were trying to say - and about whom - (or perhaps trying to distance yourself from the conceited little cyber-punch you were obviously attempting to land on a few chins) or you're now being a wee bit dishonest and you're just going to brazen it out. Either way, you've got brass balls. 😉
    I think you overstate your case, as usual.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 07:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    I had my tongue in cheek, Suzianne. You need less swishing and less blurting, really.

I think human civilisation will survive and outlast whatever cataclysms befall it, albeit perhaps at a reduced scale or distribution.

Humans are tenacious, resourceful, resilient. The last thing I can be described as in this regard is misanthropic: for instance I am not ...[text shortened]... come and destroy us because I am wallowing in despair about the state of the human condition. 😉
    So you admit that you're just another idiot, that when called on their foolishness, you just chuckle uncomfortably and mumble, "just kidding!"

Your tongue is never in cheek when you purposefully swing at me, but when you miss, it always is. I see how it is. So when I said that some who are in denial of reality are not so subliminal, I was absolutely right. You've made quite a bit of noise in this thread so far.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 07:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I think you overstate your case, as usual.
    I don't think so.

Originally posted by wolfgang59 to Grampy Bobby
    How many on here do you think you have enlightened?

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Nobody; though some here are subliminally still in denial of reality.

When he said "some here", the word "here" did not refer to RHP?? And the supposed "denial of reality" is not "specifically" related to Grampy Bobby's own beliefs?? Is he sure? He then referred to these "some here" again ~ this time as "these men and women" ~ and the topic was still whether or not he had personally succeeded in enlightening these RHP members (i.e. changing their beliefs).

Then in the very next post, he said "My reply to Suzianne references a category of people not specifically fixated on you or me or any other member of Red Hot Pawn or their beliefs". Whoops. This kind of stuff, in British parlance, is called telling "porkies".
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 07:33
    So you admit that you're just another idiot, that when called on their foolishness, you just chuckle uncomfortably and mumble, "just kidding!"

Your tongue is never in cheek when you purposefully swing at me, but when you miss, it always is. I see how it is. So when I said that some who are in denial of reality are not so subliminal, I was absolutely right. You've made quite a bit of noise in this thread so far.

So you didn't like it when I said 350 years?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 07:361 edit
    You've made quite a bit of noise in this thread so far.
    Speaking of which, what do you think about my thoughts on human civilisation outlasting any cataclysms that will befall it due to their tenacity, resourcefulness, resilience?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 08:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't think so.

Originally posted by wolfgang59 to Grampy Bobby
    [b]How many on here do you think you have enlightened?

Nobody; though some here are subliminally still in denial of reality.

When he said "some here", the word "here" did not refer to RHP?? And the supposed "denial of reality" i ...[text shortened]... r their beliefs". Whoops. This kind of stuff, in British parlance, is called telling "porkies".[/b]
    In your opinion.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 08:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Speaking of which, what do you think about my thoughts on human civilisation outlasting any cataclysms that will befall it due to their tenacity, resourcefulness, resilience?
    Not much.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 08:24
    In your opinion.
    What else would my personal point of view be?

Don't you express your opinions here too? 😛
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 09:05
    Yes in reply to "And some, not so subliminally." ~Suzianne The reply to wolfgang59 also refers to a category of people not to specific individuals.
    When you say "here", are you referring to people at RHP or not?

It's a question requiring a simple 'yes' or 'no' response, which will help me in future when you make one of your passive-aggressive jabs at people "here". I will be able to understand that you don't mean "here".
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 09:19
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I think our days as a species are probably numbered, which is more pessimistic than misanthropic. I think populations will continue to grow
    I think that most people who think like this actually want this to be true to some extent. Why, I’m not sure. Maybe they just “want to see the world burn”, maybe they feel things need to change and the only way to get that change is to have humanity virtually wiped out, maybe they’re bored/unhappy and wish that to be true for everyone else, maybe it strengthens their religious beliefs. I don’t know.

There is however currently no reason whatsoever to assume humanity will go extinct any time soon.

It’s predicted that the human population will grow to about 9 – 10 billion - so no, populations will not continue to grow . Again, there is no reason to assume that this number will somehow usher in our doom. Sorry.

Whether or not we as a species will be able to live for millions of years and even outlive our sun (are we still humans then?) is another question.

But your hope – oooops, sorry… pessimistic view – for our total extinction is again, not very well founded at all.
  11. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 09:39
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I think that most people who think like this actually want this to be true to some extent. Why, I’m not sure. Maybe they just “want to see the world burn”, maybe they feel things need to change and the only way to get that change is to have humanity virtually wiped out, maybe they’re bored/unhappy and wish that to be true for everyone else, may ...[text shortened]... oops, sorry… pessimistic view – for our total extinction is again, not very well founded at all.
    We are at 7.4 Billion people at the moment, give or take. It is said we can support ten billion. At some point, long after we are gone, meaning us here, humans will cease to exist. There will come a point where there will be to many people and not enough resources. Science as a field have been talking about this for ages. Bring into account if we had no sun? Everything dies.

We would have to find another source that does everything the sun does, and everyone living, ten billion or more would have to have access to it. We cant even help the homeless or feed the poor. I am also not optimistic about having enough resources, or the men and woman strong enough to do what is right in order for people to survive as a species. Bring into the mix of having no sun? No way. Great topic though. Interesting and fun. And everyone playing nice. Much nicer to see and read. Oh, and I certainly don't want to see the world burn as I have a daughter, and and some day, a long way down the road I hope, a grandfather as well.

I would love the earth and it's people to go on forever. That is a much more pleasing thought. But if statistics are correct? It just does not seem possible. But living each day and making the best of it, I think is a wonderful way to approach life. It is a shame most of us don't approach life in that manner. Good thread. 🙂 Almost time to start my day. Have a good day everyone. Best wishes.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 10:07
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I think that most people who think like this actually want this to be true to some extent.
    I don't want it to be true. I guess I must be an exception to your thinking.

What do you think will halt population growth at 9 billion? Or was it 10 billion? That's quite a difference.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 11:45
    Originally posted by VESPIN
    ...I have a daughter, and and some day, a long way down the road I hope, a grandfather as well.
    This is a peculiar sentence.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 11:57
    Originally posted by divegeester

What do you think will halt population growth at 9 billion? Or was it 10 billion? That's quite a difference.

You sure? You wouldn't rather see a rock the size of New York plummet to earth and end humanity?

It's not what I think. It's what scientists think who've given this a bit more thought than just a Sunday afternoon musing. And you must excuse them for not quite agreeing on 9 or 10 billion. Let's keep it at 9.5 B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

"Some countries experience negative population growth, especially in Eastern Europe mainly due to low fertility rates, high death rates and emigration. In Southern Africa, growth is slowing due to the high number of AIDS-related deaths. Some Western Europe countries might also encounter negative population growth.[11] Japan's population began decreasing in 2005.[12] The United Nations Population Division expects world population to peak at over 10 billion at the end of the 21st century but Sanjeev Sanyal has argued that global fertility will fall below replacement rates in the 2020s and that world population will peak below 9 billion by 2050 followed by a long decline."
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Nov '15 11:59
    Originally posted by VESPIN
    We are at 7.4 Billion people at the moment, give or take. It is said we can support ten billion. At some point, long after we are gone, meaning us here, humans will cease to exist. There will come a point where there will be to many people and not enough resources. Science as a field have been talking about this for ages. Bring into account if we had no sun ...[text shortened]... that manner. Good thread. 🙂 Almost time to start my day. Have a good day everyone. Best wishes.
    Yes, if we can't find a way to leave earth than at some point in the distant, distant future we will cease to exist.

You know the sun will be a reliable source of energy for 100s of millions of years at least and possibly a few billion, right? Not really something to worry about, I'd say.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree