How to stay below 1400 for ever.

How to stay below 1400 for ever.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by YUG0slav
I MESSED UP SOMETHING LIKE THAT SO BAD ONCE

I typed out every imbalance and my whole plan into the message box instead of the notebook😞

Apparently he couldnt find a refutation for it so he resigned...
Hahahaa, or perhaps he saw that you sent a whole bunch of lines to him, assumed you had found a forced win and resigned?

nunquam perdo

Washington, DC

Moves
16 Nov 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Hahahaa, or perhaps he saw that you sent a whole bunch of lines to him, assumed you had found a forced win and resigned?
yeah I bet he did think that...

right now he is on another forum saying "some jerk wanted me to resign so he sent me a note with every possible move I could make"

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
16 Nov 06

Don't bother to read your book correctly. Try d6 instead of d3 it must be better.

eg, move 7 in Game 2721327.

[ongoing so no comments but for the live of me I don't know how I am still in this game]

G

Moves
16 Nov 06
2 edits

http://chessconfessions.blogspot.com/2006/11/why-do-i-bother.html

attack d5, regardless of the board position

Y

Moves
17 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by briancron
yeah I bet he did think that...

right now he is on another forum saying "some jerk wanted me to resign so he sent me a note with every possible move I could make"
yea lol, I also typed out what I felt was his best plan and the moves I would make to refute it

here's the final position of the game. It was an Accelerated Dragon btw, my favorite black opening. He basically misplayed his opening (the black pawn on e5 is a noticeable strangeness)

earlier I had talked about bringing pieces to attack his queenside, exactly where I planned to post my knight and dark squared bish, and playing f3 to keep his knight out of g4...all in the message box

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
17 Nov 06

Sorry, above 1400. Will try harder.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Suggestions please! My first.

[b]1. Never spend time on your games. 5 seconds a move is more than enough.

All you bright fellows lets hear your suggestions here rather than in the threads about improving.[/b]
In actuality, you're not too far off even if you are being facetious. I once met a guy at an Orlando tournament who said being a player even 1500 OTB is sad almost. Because, who are you going to find to play in the casual setting? Maybe once in a blue moon, you'll meet someone who gives you a real struggle. 1500 is already in the 30% of players. What's the use? After reaching my 1600 point on RHP before all my timeouts, I learned a lot about the reality. I learned this: why not just enjoy this beautiful game and study through life steadily. Obsession will only get your boredom in the park unless you decide to play competitive chess in a "real" tournament," and then he who works has no the time nor just the money sometimes to blow on a huge entry fee for a terrific vacation tournament moment. Am I too far off? I don't think so.

c

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by powershaker
In actuality, you're not too far off even if you are being facetious. I once met a guy at an Orlando tournament who said being a player even 1500 OTB is sad almost. Because, who are you going to find to play in the casual setting? Maybe once in a blue moon, you'll meet someone who gives you a real struggle. 1500 is already in the 30% of players. Wha ...[text shortened]... ntry fee for a terrific vacation tournament moment. Am I too far off? I don't think so.
Yeah, I think you are. I'm an addict - completely, if I were a smoker the comparison would be 2 lighters a day.

I like chess more everyday, I have no trouble finding good competition, and until I'm better than Kasparov/Fischer/others at their peark I don't think I will.

And I don't know if I consider spending money to have an awesome time at a tournament "blowing" money. TBH I consider the money I spend on chess to be some of my best spent money....ever.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
17 Nov 06

In actuality, you're not too far off even if you are being facetious. I once met a guy at an Orlando tournament who said being a player even 1500 OTB is sad almost. Because, who are you going to find to play in the casual setting? Maybe once in a blue moon, you'll meet someone who gives you a real struggle. 1500 is already in the 30% of players. Wha ...[text shortened]... ntry fee for a terrific vacation tournament moment. Am I too far off? I don't think so.
Huge entry fee? You must be kidding. The entry fee for most weekend chess tournaments is less than for 1 round of golf and I get more pleasure.

In fact if you count up all the balls I lose Golf is even more expensive than that.

I can play blitz chess at 5 seconds a move any time I want and beat 90% of my opponents but I'll never get better by doing that so I would stay below 1400 (if I followed the other stunning tips here also)

c

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Huge entry fee? You must be kidding. The entry fee for most weekend chess tournaments is less than for 1 round of golf and I get more pleasure.

In fact if you count up all the balls I lose Golf is even more expensive than that.

I can play blitz chess at 5 seconds a move any time I want and beat 90% of my opponents but I'll never get better by doing that so I would stay below 1400 (if I followed the other stunning tips here also)
I agree, chess is an awesome hobby. 🙂

nunquam perdo

Washington, DC

Moves
17 Nov 06

I think that if you were talking about a time before the internet you would be exactly right.

However, with the plethora of online chess sites there is an almost inexhaustable number of players to compete with at a high level.

The appeal of learning to improve is that no matter how good I get and how far better I am than my friends and brothers; I will always be able to find 100s of people who are playing on another plane and will whoop my ass easy.

Even if I don't ever play at a level where the first 12 moves are just foreplay; the process of discovery and learning is worth as much as the results.

c

USA

Moves
18 Nov 06

Move the chess pieces the way you move checkers pieces!

Santa Clara, CA

Moves
18 Nov 06

(OTB) whenever your opponent hangs a piece and a subtle smirk of glee or smug self-satisfaction comes over their face, immediately take that piece. always.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
18 Nov 06

Originally posted by slickhare
(OTB) whenever your opponent hangs a piece and a subtle smirk of glee or smug self-satisfaction comes over their face, immediately take that piece. always.
Especially if their grading is under 1400, chances are they've done something wrong.

Forum Vampire

Sidmouth, Uk

Moves
18 Nov 06
2 edits

Game 2772421

Like this?

Also now a checkmate in under 20.

I wish all my opponents were this generous.