1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 23:11
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Ironically, I have no moral issues with taking recreational drugs (note taking the drugs, if you take into account
    the effects of buying them from illegal sources and all that goes with that it's a different story) and yet unlike
    so many of the 'holy' people here I don't drink (alcohol), don't smoke, don't take recreational drugs, have never done so, ...[text shortened]... need god to keep you on the strait and narrow and restrain you are talking total bunk.
    Didn't you know our body produces alcohol because it needs it?
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 23:18
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Didn't you know our body produces alcohol because it needs it?
    I'm sure he does because he seems well read and educated.
    What point are you trying to make?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Dec '11 23:57
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I'm sure he does because he seems well read and educated.
    What point are you trying to make?
    The point was that not drinking any amount of alcohol is unnecessary, even
    though I very seldom drink any myself.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 00:06
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The point was that not drinking any amount of alcohol is unnecessary, even
    though I very seldom drink any myself.
    I don't abstain from drinking alcohol because I prohibit myself from drinking alcohol.
    I just don't ever feel the desire to do so.

There are a great variety of 'soft' drinks that I enjoy, and feel no need or desire to drink alcoholic ones.

I would say that I do often put alcoholic drinks into my cooking, (sources and marinades) and about 2/3rds
    of the alcohol content will still be in it by the time I serve.

So my alcohol consumption is not zero, just very low.

I always find it interesting that when people find I don't drink alcohol they always start trying to talk me into it.

What is so hard to understand about me being content with the many non-alcoholic drinks available?

I mean I could list all the advantages, (costs less, no hangovers, no liver damage, no impairment when driving...)
    but why should I have to work to explain why I don't drink alcohol?

I am not trying to stop anyone else from doing it.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 00:15
    I don't abstain from drinking alcohol because I prohibit myself from drinking alcohol.
    I just don't ever feel the desire to do so.

There are a great variety of 'soft' drinks that I enjoy, and feel no need or desire to drink alcoholic ones.

I would say that I do often put alcoholic drinks into my cooking, (sources and marinades) and about 2/3rds
    ...[text shortened]... o explain why I don't drink alcohol?

I am not trying to stop anyone else from doing it.
    It was not my intent to talk you in to drinking. That is probably better in
    most cases. I thought your not drinking alcohol was your belief that it was
    a health issue, which drinking too much can be. So the idea is that it is okay
    to drink a small amount every now and then.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 00:34
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    What the hell this has got to do with Spirituality I don't know, but where's all this anti-British rancour sprung from all of a sudden?

For your information, only France and Italy have more Michelin starred restaurants than the United Kingdom. It's impossible to get a better curry even in India than in the better quality British outlets. Frankly, ...[text shortened]... ll of our ridiculous spiritual beliefs without resorting to ignorant, ill-informed bigotry?
    What styles of cuisine do those M-starred British restaurants serve? Are any of them a traditional "English" cuisine, free of Indian, French, Italian, or other influences? "British" cuisine per se seems to admit of empire-colony associations, so I would like to know of some English cuisine restaurants where we could dine when next there. I had a great meal nearby to Windsor Castle, once, but can't remember much about it.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 02:511 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    What styles of cuisine do those M-starred British restaurants serve? Are any of them a traditional "English" cuisine, free of Indian, French, Italian, or other influences? "British" cuisine per se seems to admit of empire-colony associations, so I would like to know of some English cuisine restaurants where we could dine when next there. I had a great meal nearby to Windsor Castle, once, but can't remember much about it.
    I suppose a roast might be termed traditional English cuisine and there are many
    excellent places around. My only quibble with the English style is that they boil their
    vegetables which reduces the nutritional value and taste. In Scotland we have a
    broader range i think, salmon and trout, venison, pheasant, none of which i am
    particularly keen on.
  8. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 03:07
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I suppose a roast might be termed traditional English cuisine and there are many
    excellent places around. My only quibble with the English style is that they boil their
    vegetables which reduces the nutritional value and taste. In Scotland we have a
    broader range i think, salmon and trout, venison, pheasant, none of which i am
    particularly keen on.
    Piffle, we have just as broad a range of food, including game.

We had partridge last night. Often have venison, have a broad range of fish, pheasant is also a common weekend meal (in season).

As for boiling veg, depends on the veg. some gets boiled, some steamed some roasted.
    that which gets boiled gets boiled only briefly.

The main issue with boiling is the duration.
    If you cook broccoli for more than a minute your doing it wrong.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 03:12

We had partridge last night. Often have venison, have a broad range of fish, pheasant is also a common weekend meal (in season).

As for boiling veg, depends on the veg. some gets boiled, some steamed some roasted.

Everyone should use those asian bamboo steamers. They are everywhere and cost about 2buks.
    Then you can place them on top of your pasta or rice pot and save energy as well as vitamins
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 03:17
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Everyone should use those asian bamboo steamers. They are everywhere and cost about 2buks.
    Then you can place them on top of your pasta or rice pot and save energy as well as vitamins
    Or, you know, I can use my stainless steel ones....

Generally too much hassle for mid week cooking, generally only get used at weekends/special occasions.

You haven't leached much out of the veg when its still nice and crisp and firm when you eat it.
    And it's not like we have any vitamin deficiencies.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 03:192 edits

no you dont, you dont have any decent Salmon rivers, while we have squillions, heck,
    even prince Charles comes up here to fish. You suck, were awesome! 😛
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 03:32
    Or, you know, I can use my stainless steel ones....

Generally too much hassle for mid week cooking, generally only get used at weekends/special occasions.

You haven't leached much out of the veg when its still nice and crisp and firm when you eat it.
    And it's not like we have any vitamin deficiencies.
    I just like the bamboo ones better than the steel ones.

It's not like you really have anything to lose by ensuring max vitamins and no extra pot to boil!
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 03:39
    no you dont, you dont have any decent Salmon rivers, while we have squillions, heck,
    Prince Charles is awesome 😀
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 14:54
    And this might be an issue if we hadn't invented fast refrigerated food transport that enables people to eat food from other places....
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Dec '11 15:09
    And this might be an issue if we hadn't invented fast refrigerated food transport that enables people to eat food from other places....
    nothing like a fresh salmon straight from the river my friend! if you like that sort of
    thing but id rather have spinach and Indian cheese to be honest!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree