Astrotheology

Astrotheology

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
19 Aug 05

Anyone familiar with the term?

Brief compendium: The Sun is the central deity in most religions. It has been anthropomorphized into a human(ish) figure, whether it is Ra, Sol Invictus, or Jesus (giving his life so that we may live). We can note that Christianity, for example, contains the 12+1 paradigm (the twelve constellations plus the Sun), and that the 'ages' the sun passes through as it travels the ecliptic (precession of the equinoxes) are closely related to the symbolism and imagery of the time...i.e. Moses and the Ram of God (Aries, the most recent astrological sign the sun passed through at the equinox) as he ushered in the new age after the worship of the Bull (Taurus, the immediate predecessor). As we moved into the current age of Pisces, we see the saviour associated with the opposite-pointing fish (Jesus). We are inching ever closer to the Age of Aquarius (2012, anyone?).

Interesting, or complete Bunk?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by David C

Brief compendium: The Sun is the central deity in most religions. It has been anthropomorphized into a human(ish) figure, whether it is Ra, Sol Invictus, or Jesus (giving his life so that we may live). We can note that Christianity, for example, contains the 12+1 paradigm (the twelve constellations plus the Sun), and ...[text shortened]... re inching ever closer to the Age of Aquarius (2012, anyone?).

Bunk as far as Christianity is concern, maybe not to others however.
Kelly

c

Moves
19 Aug 05

Brief compendium: The Sun is the central deity in most religions. It has been anthropomorphized into a human(ish) figure, whether it is Ra, Sol Invictus, or Jesus (giving his life so that we may live). We can note that Christianity, for example, contains the 12+1 paradigm (the twelve constellations plus the Sun), and ...[text shortened]... re inching ever closer to the Age of Aquarius (2012, anyone?).

Bunk. (period)

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by chinking58
Bunk. (period)
Why?

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
19 Aug 05

It's just astrology tarted up in New Age makeup.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
19 Aug 05

It has just as much validity as any other religion. Which is to say: none.

c

Moves
19 Aug 05

Why?
When I simply think of the various unfounded premises behind this crap I gag. I'll try to expose a few.

Brief compendium: The Sun is the central deity in most religions.
Simply not true. The Bible teaches nothing about the sun being central to the teaching of Jesus. In fact, some people speculate that God made light on the first day and the sun on the fourth to clearly demonstrate that not even our light is dependent on the sun!

It has been anthropomorphized into a human(ish) figure, whether it is Ra, Sol Invictus, or Jesus (giving his life so that we may live).

So someone found a way to correlate the sun to Jesus. Does that make the connection somehow absolute? Jesus wept. Does that make a fountain symbolic of Him? Sometimes Jesus was up all night. Does that bind Him forever to being like the moon?

We can note that Christianity, for example, contains the 12+1 paradigm (the twelve constellations plus the Sun),

Who made this up? Must I recognize it as some factual, unavoidable truth? There is nothing so obscure and subjective as the constellations! So some ancient pagans decided there were twelve. I say there are 32, and that they all look like chess pieces. (Only I can tell the white from the black, but take my word for it, I'm up a knight, a rook and 3 pawns!)

and that the 'ages' the sun passes through as it travels the ecliptic (precession of the equinoxes) are closely related to the symbolism and imagery of the time...i.e. Moses and the Ram of God (Aries, the most recent astrological sign the sun passed through at the equinox) as he ushered in the new age after the worship of the Bull (Taurus, the immediate predecessor).

So our history and astronomy are so good that we know the date that Moses condemned the worship of the golden bull? And then built the golden ram? Oh wait, that never happened. So what. That ancient pagan dude named the next constellation ram, so we gotta work it in here somewhere.

As we moved into the current age of Pisces, we see the saviour associated with the opposite-pointing fish (Jesus). We are inching ever closer to the Age of Aquarius (2012, anyone?).

What does this even mean? The age of Pisces. So there's a bunch of stars and someone looking at them from earth imagined they can be arranged into the form of a fish. Next we have the earth set against that group? As seen from where? Does not the perspective of the viewer bear any importance in these matters? Doesn't the view from Tatooine matter? Maybe Pisces looks like a poodle from there, who knows.

I thought the age of Aquarius has been dawning since the 60's, and now I find out the whole age will be in 2012! How long does a dawning take anyway?

Like I said, bunk.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
19 Aug 05

Like I said, bunk.
Your reply demonstrates a gross ignorance of the zodiac and its ancient origins. I do, however, appreciate you taking the time to type out a reply. I would suggest you google the phrase 'precession of the equinoxes' to at least familiarize yourself with the phenomena.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 Aug 05

Your reply demonstrates a gross ignorance of the zodiac and its ancient origins. I do, however, appreciate you taking the time to type out a reply. I would suggest you google the phrase 'precession of the equinoxes' to at least familiarize yourself with the phenomena.
The response to your post, David, has been woefully inadequate. I don't have time to engage with this fascinating topic at the moment, but it merits proper investigation.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by rwingett
It has just as much validity as any other religion. Which is to say: none.
It is more of an anthropological study of the formulation of religion(s).

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
19 Aug 05

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The response to your post, David, has been woefully inadequate. I don't have time to engage with this fascinating topic at the moment, but it merits proper investigation.
Thanks, Bosse...whenever you get the time. 😉

c

Moves
19 Aug 05

Ok, I checked it out. So the precession of the zodiac suggests that since stars move about, the whole system has to be adjusted once in a while in order to get a more accurate horoscope. So that if I consider my horoscope from the newly adjusted view instead of the old, maybe instead of expecting to meet a buxom blonde in the course of the day, I should be advised to watch for dangerous curves in my path ahead?

Please!

Nothing is more ludicrous. And people dismiss the Bible because in one Gospel Jesus walked and talked and in the other it says He talked and walked!

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
19 Aug 05

[b]Your reply demonstrates a gross ignorance of the zodiac and its ancient origins. I do, however, appreciate you taking the time to type out a reply. I would suggest you google the phrase 'precession of the equinoxes' to at least familiarize yourself with the phenomena.

Ok, I checked it out. So the precessio ...[text shortened]... ble because in one Gospel Jesus walked and talked and in the other it says He talked and walked![/b]
Your derisive attitude only underscores your ignorance, CK. This has nothing to do astrology, it is astronomy. I'm very sorry if your faith in Jesus is so weak that you are unable to properly educate yourself to address a topic such as this, but so be it.

c

Moves
19 Aug 05

Your derisive attitude only underscores your ignorance, CK. This has nothing to do astrology, it is astronomy. I'm very sorry if your faith in Jesus is so weak that you are unable to properly educate yourself to address a topic such as this, but so be it.
I'm sorry dude, but I checked it out, and that's what I found!

You deduce that my faith in Jesus is weak because.....why again?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Aug 05

As far as I am concerned, worshipping the sun is as valid a
religion as any, more so than most. What do we do if the sun
dissapears? We die. What do we do when the sun is here? we live.
end of story. The same of course can be said of the earth,
of the oceans, lots of things but without the sun, the earth
wouldn't even be here so it seems to me to be one of the
fundamentals of our existance, so why not worship it?
It is exactly as responsive as a god as the ones worshipped by
Bin Laden, Pat Roberston, David Coresh, Jim Jones and Billy Graham.