Creation AND Evolution?

Creation AND Evolution?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Aug 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Would you agree that certain assumptions have to be made when estimating the age of the universe?
"Certain assumptions have to be made" for just about anything.

Moves
02 Aug 18

Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
"Certain assumptions have to be made" for just about anything.
I’ll take that as a yes. Now look up what the word ‘assumption’ means.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Aug 18

I’ll take that as a yes. Now look up what the word ‘assumption’ means.
Do you think that no assumption whatsoever has to be made in order to estimate my height?

Moves
02 Aug 18

Do you think that no assumption whatsoever has to be made in order to estimate my height?
Whatever gave you that impression?

Moves
02 Aug 18

Popcorn please...extra large.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Aug 18

Whatever gave you that impression?
Your previous post.

If assumptions have to be made in order to make any empirical determination (as is the case), what is the point of stressing that assumptions have been made in order to estimate the age of the Universe?

Moves
02 Aug 18
3 edits

Your previous post.

If assumptions have to be made in order to make any empirical determination (as is the case), what is the point of stressing that assumptions have been made in order to estimate the age of the Universe?
I was merely pointing out that the ‘news that the universe is 13.77 billion years old’ is based upon assumptions that cannot be proven and is therefore more of an estimate than a proven fact.

If you disagree with my observations feel to state your case.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Aug 18

I think with all the knowledge I have now, knowing how tall you are is beyond me. No matter how spot on my math is with whatever height guessing methodology I utilize.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Aug 18

I was merely pointing out that the ‘news that the universe is 13.77 billion years old’ is based upon assumptions that cannot be proven and is therefore more of an estimate than a proven fact.

If you disagree with my observations feel to state your case.
Well, all you've done is taken all of empirical science and labeled it "not proven fact." A bit underwhelming, to be honest.

Do you have any specific qualms with respect to how the estimates for the age of the Universe are obtained?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Aug 18

Well, all you've done is taken all of empirical science and labeled it "not proven fact." A bit underwhelming, to be honest.

Do you have any specific qualms with respect to how the estimates for the age of the Universe are obtained?
Do you know how everything got here to begin with?

K

Germany

Moves
02 Aug 18

Originally posted by @kellyjay
Do you know how everything got here to begin with?
Is that a specific qualm with respect to the estimated age of the Universe?

Moves
02 Aug 18
2 edits

Do you not distinguish between a scientific fact and a scientific theory? Extrapolating into the unknown past relies heavily on unprovable presuppositions and guesswork and does not rely solely on objective and verifiable observations that can be repeated in the lab.

PS: Hopefully Dive hasn't gagged on his extra large popcorn yet...

Moves
02 Aug 18

Is that a specific qualm with respect to the estimated age of the Universe?
It seems to be a simple straightforward question that you have neatly sidestepped.

K

Germany

Moves
02 Aug 18

Do you not distinguish between a scientific fact and a scientific theory? Extrapolating into the unknown past relies heavily on unprovable presuppositions and guesswork and does not rely solely on objective and verifiable observations that can be repeated in the lab.

PS: Hopefully Dive hasn't gagged on his popcorn yet...
What, specifically, do you think cosmologists have "guessed" inaccurately to arrive at their estimates for the age of the Universe?

Moves
02 Aug 18

What, specifically, do you think cosmologists have "guessed" inaccurately to arrive at their estimates for the age of the Universe?
The thing with guessing about the past is that it’s impossible to tell whether it is accurate or not because if it was possible to tell you wouldn’t be guessing now would you?

What, specifically, do you think cosmologists have "guessed" accurately to arrive at their estimates for the age of the Universe?