1. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:18
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You are impressed by the teachings of men... clearly.
    Well then. I would ask for your opinion, but then I'd have to be unimpressed by it.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:30
    Originally posted by Tom Wolsey
    Some verses in favor of the eternal torment position are:

Mark 9:47-49 " ... thrown into hell, where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched. For everyone will be salted with fire"

Rev 14:11 " And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night..."

I am not arguing for eternal torment. I le ...[text shortened]... they favor the eternal torment position. Eternal torment is the establishment, consensus view.
    I do favor annihilation, yet I believe eternal torment is going to be the reality.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:33
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I do favor annihilation, yet I believe eternal torment is going to be the reality.
    From a loving God?

Doesn't make sense.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:42
    Originally posted by chaney3
    From a loving God?

Doesn't make sense.
    From a Holy and Just God, the mercy and grace given shows His love to those that receive it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:45
    From a Holy and Just God, the mercy and grace given shows His love to those that receive it.
    What possible earthly 'sins' would warrant torment in hell for eternity?
  6. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:45
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Tom, welcome to the forum. If you are a new member (and not someone returning under other name, which happens) then you find it quite exciting** in here at times. Seriously, welcome.

By "argument" I meant a reasonably concise exegesis of those and the other scriptures which went some way to overcoming the obvious moral and even logical incoherence of ...[text shortened]... ".

In the meantime, I'll probably just side with you on the annihilation POV.

**combative
    LOL

Thanks. I was a paying member here years ago. I'm so old I don't even remember what my username was. But... I'm easing myself back into this and trying to learn how to get around again. I used to post in the forums a little bit. I guess I got enamored with fb groups where you can post pics, videos, etc. so I lost interest in the stripped down forums like this. BUT... I've decided to get back into chess and these forums are part and parcel to the experience. Thanks for the welcome!
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:47
    What possible earthly 'sins' would warrant torment in hell for eternity?
    You didn't read the whole thread?
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:47
    Some verses in favor of the eternal torment position are:

Mark 9:47-49 " ... thrown into hell, where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched. For everyone will be salted with fire"

Rev 14:11 " And the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest, day or night..."

I am not arguing for eternal torment. I le ...[text shortened]... they favor the eternal torment position. Eternal torment is the establishment, consensus view.
    The 'eternal torment' position may be the establishment consensus position because that is what establishments do - have and hand down consensus positions that often become sacred cows, not to be questioned. It has reached a point where even to question the position is said to warrant and bring about - wait for it - eternal torment.

Making it a sort of self-refuting denial.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:501 edit
    Yes, because Jesus is so awful as a person.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:53
    Originally posted by JS357
    It has reached a point where even to question the position is said to warrant and bring about - wait for it - eternal torment.

RJHinds, knowing I was a Christian, told me a deserved to burn in hell for not believing in eternal hell. It was, for me at least, one of those 'wtf' moments here at rhp.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:55
    From a loving God?

Doesn't make sense.
    I will bump up my answer to this.
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    The 'eternal torment' position may be the establishment consensus position because that is what establishments do - have and hand down consensus positions that often become sacred cows, not to be questioned. It has reached a point where even to question the position is said to warrant and bring about - wait for it - eternal torment.

Indeed, many who hold fast to the doctrine of ET are hostile to anyone who suggests otherwise. 😕
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:56
    I don't see eventual annihilation as something to fear, you are here than you are not. Most
    think of death that way now anyway. The scary thing which I believe to be true is that God
    when He shows His grace and mercy will do it forever, and when He shows His wrath it
    will also be forever. So with His grace there will be no wrath mixed in to punish us, an ...[text shortened]... lessen it.

The point still is, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of an angry God.
    Chaney3 here you go.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:59
    Indeed, many who hold fast to the doctrine of ET are hostile to anyone who suggests otherwise. 😕
    Really?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 May '17 17:04
    I don't see eventual annihilation as something to fear, you are here than you are not. Most
    think of death that way now anyway. The scary thing which I believe to be true is that God
    when He shows His grace and mercy will do it forever, and when He shows His wrath it
    will also be forever. So with His grace there will be no wrath mixed in to punish us, an ...[text shortened]... lessen it.

The point still is, it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of an angry God.
    I disagree with this concept. If this appears in the Bible, then I disagree with the Bible.

Justice by God is fine, but eternal torment? No!

What 'sins' committed by humans could justify torment in hell....forever?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree