1. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 00:001 edit
    What is going on with this issue?
    If the Bible doesn't approve of same sex partners, then how are so many churches side stepping that point, and being LGBT friendly?

Does anyone know?
    Is there a Biblical verse that they've found to defend their stance?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 00:13
    Originally posted by @chaney3
    If the Bible doesn't approve of same sex partners, then how are so many churches side stepping that point, and being LBGT friendly?

Does anyone know?
    On the whole, the Bible is widely open to interpretation and filled with inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't. In short, they use the Bible to create God in their own image. Those that are anti-LGBT create God as anti-LGBT.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 00:24
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    On the whole, the Bible is widely open to interpretation and filled with inconsistencies, discrepancies and outright contradictions. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't. In short, they use the Bible to create God in their own image. Those that are anti-LGBT create God as anti-LGBT.
    Are there any Bible verses that support LGBT?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 00:53
    If the Bible doesn't approve of same sex partners, then how are so many churches side stepping that point, and being LGBT friendly?

Does anyone know?
    Churches accept fat and gluttonous, the winebibbers and the alcoholics, the liars and the deceivers, the adulterers and fornicators. Why would they deny entry to any of those who sin?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 01:352 edits
    What are questionable are the verses that are used against LGBT.

For LGBT affirmative passages, you start with this:
    http://wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblical_evidence.html

Why are you asking?
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 02:16
    What are questionable are the verses that are used against LGBT.

For LGBT affirmative passages, you start with this:
    http://wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblical_evidence.html

Why are you asking?
    I'm asking because I'm aware of affirming churches, and of United Church of Christ, but don't know how they get around what's taught in the Bible regarding same sex relationships.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 02:433 edits
    I'm asking because I'm aware of affirming churches, and of United Church of Christ, but don't know how they get around what's taught in the Bible regarding same sex relationships.
    It's pretty simple.

What's "taught in the Bible regarding same sex relationships" is open to interpretation.

Some churches don't agree with some other churches as to what's "taught in the Bible regarding same sex relationships".
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 05:171 edit
    When Jesus said that he was sent by God, was he correct?

#wordsofjesus
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 05:17
    None.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 05:191 edit
    It's pretty simple.

What's "taught in the Bible regarding same sex relationships" is open to interpretation.

Some churches don't agree with some other churches as to what's "taught in the Bible regarding same sex relationships".
    Your use of quotation marks around a piece of text by chaney3 seems a little moot.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 06:49
    Okay, I'll throw 2 Samuel 1:26 on the table:

'I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.'
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 07:52
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Okay, I'll throw 2 Samuel 1:26 on the table:

'I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women.'
    There is no literary evidence (as I’m aware) that this scripture is a reference by David to a homoerotic relationship between he and Jonathan, in fact the previous notations of “ love” between the two men are all indicative of a brotherly bond.

Nevertheless we can explore the point for purpose of debate and assume that one this occasion David was referring to a sexual relationship; this would still not constitute evidence of a scriptural or indeed Jehovah's acknowledgement of the acts being acceptable, merely a review of David’s account of it. A similar contextual parallel would be David’s behaviour is the account of Uriah and Bathsheba.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 10:40
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    There is no literary evidence (as I’m aware) that this scripture is a reference by David to a homoerotic relationship between he and Jonathan, in fact the previous notations of “ love” between the two men are all indicative of a brotherly bond.

Nevertheless we can explore the point for purpose of debate and assume that one this occasion David was re ...[text shortened]... A similar contextual parallel would be David’s behaviour is the account of Uriah and Bathsheba.
    True enough. So how about Matthew 19:11-12?

'Not everyone can accept this teaching, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let anyone accept this who can.”

'Here Jesus identifies three classes of men who should not marry women. Taking his categories in reverse order, first, there are those who have made themselves “eunuchs” for the kingdom of heaven, i.e., those who foreswear marriage to better serve God. Second, he mentions those who have been “made eunuchs by others,” an apparent reference to castrated males. But Jesus mentions a third category — eunuchs who were born that way. Some might argue that Jesus was referring to males born without testicles, but this would be extremely rare. Moreover, this interpretation ignores how the term “born eunuchs” was used in other literature of the time.

In the ancient world, including ancient Jewish culture (as reflected in the Talmud), “natural” or “born” eunuchs were not associated with missing testicles. Rather, they were associated with stereotypically effeminate characteristics and behavior (just like modern gay men), and were thought by Rabbi Eliezer to be subject to “cure” (just like modern gays). Moreover, as we have also seen, eunuchs were commonly associated with homosexual desire.'

http://wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblical_evidence.html (With thanks to ToO).
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 11:53
    Not a single one.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Aug '18 12:07
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    None.
    But the fact that there are no verses in support of gay marriage is open to interpretation.

Why are there no verses? Could it be that silence on the issue was meant to be interpreted as support for it?

Well?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree