1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:23
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    No, those are not facts.

Speaking as an atheist (which is all I can do) 'God' is an outside agent (and a fictional one at that). I accept that, as a Christian, you believe in an indwelling (internal). God, but, as an atheist I reject that as an actuality. - Secondly, I said a Christian like yourself would fall to pieces the moment they 'felt' ab ...[text shortened]... humanity evolving to where it is today, not originating in a magical garden with talking snakes.
    No offense, but you’re being completely dishonest. An atheist could accurately present Christian beliefs just as a Christian could accurately present a Muslim’s beliefs. You don’t have to believe in something to accurately represent it.

You can try to play your sleight-of-hand word games all you want, but it’s obvious you didn’t know a major tenet of the Christian faith; made a false claim about what Christians believe (I suspect out of ignorance) and could not (and presumably still can’t) name how God showed mercy to Adam and Eve immediately after they sinned against Him.

Those are indeed facts and will remain facts despite your feeble and quite lame protestations to the contrary.

Good day, sir!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:34
    No, those are not facts.

Speaking as an atheist (which is all I can do) 'God' is an outside agent (and a fictional one at that). I accept that, as a Christian, you believe in an indwelling (internal). God, but, as an atheist I reject that as an actuality. - Secondly, I said a Christian like yourself would fall to pieces the moment they 'felt' ab ...[text shortened]... humanity evolving to where it is today, not originating in a magical garden with talking snakes.
    Ah, the talking snake, a favorite trope of atheists.

You’re aware (or maybe you aren’t) that many Christians believe in demonic possession? If you Google “Lindley Street Bridgeport CT,” you can read about paranormal activity witnessed by police officers and firefighters that included a talking cat.

The “talking snake” that atheists love to throw out was simply a case of demonic possession. And “snake” is not an accurate description; “serpent” is. One would think someone with a theology degree would know that.

“Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.”

(Genesis 3:1-5)

And a serpent in Biblical times was not at all like a snake today.

“The serpent, in his Edenic form, is not to be thought of as a writhing reptile. That is the effect of the curse Gen 3:14. The creature which lent itself to Satan may well have been the most beautiful as was the most "subtle" of creatures less than man. Traces of that beauty remain despite the curse. Every movement of a serpent is graceful, and many species are beautifully coloured.”
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:40
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    No offense, but you’re being completely dishonest. An atheist could accurately present Christian beliefs just as a Christian could accurately present a Muslim’s beliefs. You don’t have to believe in something to accurately represent it.

You can try to play your sleight-of-hand word games all you want, but it’s obvious you didn’t know a major tenet of ...[text shortened]... remain facts despite your feeble and quite lame protestations to the contrary.

Good day, sir!
    You can 'good day' all you like.

I have clearly addressed your 3 points. You just can't seem to get you head round the idea that an atheist views things through atheist eyes. I recommend you go back and re-read the whole thread.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:48

I have clearly addressed your 3 points. You just can't seem to get you head round the idea that an atheist views things through atheist eyes. I recommend you go back and re-read the whole thread.
    As I said, troll, an atheist is capable of accurately reporting the beliefs of a Christian, just as a Christian is capable of accurately reporting the beliefs of a Muslim.

You don’t have to believe in something to accurately report about it.

You clearly do not know elementary knowledge of the Bible and Christianity. That theology degree doesn’t exist, imo.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:52
    Freud. Childhood regression, degree envy.

Seek help.
    +1 for "degree envy". 🙂
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:55
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    +1 for "degree envy". 🙂
    How can I have envy of something that doesn’t exist?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:55
    As I said, troll, an atheist is capable of accurately reporting the beliefs of a Christian, just as a Christian is capable of accurately reporting the beliefs of a Muslim.

You don’t have to believe in something to accurately report about it.

You clearly do not know elementary knowledge of the Bible and Christianity. That theology degree doesn’t exist, imo.
    I still don't get why you'd want to infantilize yourself constantly with this "comedy" routine, and yet talk about religious matters on this forum as well.

You say all this "sinful payback" is purely for your own amusement, but why are you also attempting to talk about things like "God's Holy Spirit" and Jesus in the same nest that you are soiling all day every day.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 11:58
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I still don't get why you'd want to infantilize yourself constantly with this "comedy" routine, and yet talk about religious matters on this forum as well.

You say all this "sinful payback" is purely for your own amusement, but why are you also attempting to talk about things like "God's Holy Spirit" and Jesus in the same nest that you are soiling all day every day.
    Sticking up for a fellow atheist? How special.

Have you finished arranging all the soup cans in your cabinets so the labels all face the same direction?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 12:02
    Sticking up for a fellow atheist? How special.
    No I am asking you about your bizarre behaviour. Look at the stuff you are submitting to this public forum. You have been posting almost non-stop for the better part of 12 hours and right through the night where you say you live. The fact that Ghost of a Duke is an atheist is irrelevant. I'm asking you what's the matter with you.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 12:041 edit

Because of this forum, I have come to consider the atheist position to be a valid belief (or rather non-belief). Not valid meaning correct, mind you, just that throughout time humans have had differing concepts of "the way things are". I no longer believe that atheists just need to "learn the truth", or whatever passes for mainstream Christian thought these days.

That being said, and I do not mean to be offensive in asking this, but how in the world did you make it through four years to obtain a degree in what is basically "religious thought", when you personally believe that it is all bunkum? I mean, it was tough enough for me, and my major was psychology, a topic not nearly as controversial.

(Edit: I just had a look at the Wikipedia page for "Theology", and rather than "the study of God" which was my working definition (and therefore I wondered how one could study something they did not believe in), the first sentence on that page is this: "Theology is the critical study of the nature of the divine." This seems to not only more accurately define the word for me, but to help me adjust my way of looking at the subject itself. I can see how an atheist might be interested in the field, but I still welcome your insights on my original question.)
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 12:07
    Theology. Religion. Sociology. Culture. Psychology. Anthropology. History. Philosophy. The human condition. Fascinating.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 12:52
    No I am asking you about your bizarre behaviour. Look at the stuff you are submitting to this public forum. You have been posting almost non-stop for the better part of 12 hours and right through the night where you say you live. The fact that Ghost of a Duke is an atheist is irrelevant. I'm asking you what's the matter with you.
    If my behavior ever becomes so bad I have to write an apology to the RHP community AND this website’s owners the way you had to, I may think I have to justify myself to you. Until then, I don’t.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 12:57
    If my behavior ever becomes so bad I have to write an apology to the RHP community AND this website’s owners the way you had to, I may think I have to justify myself to you. Until then, I don’t.
    Eight years ago, as you know, I apologized for creating a second account for the purposes of a practical joke which, regardless of my motive and purpose, was in breach of the TOS. What does that have to do with the post of mine you are replying to?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 13:10
    Eight years ago, as you know, I apologized for creating a second account for the purposes of a practical joke which, regardless of my motive and purpose, was in breach of the TOS. What does that have to do with the post of mine you are replying to?
    That you’re hardly in a position to criticize other people for what they post and that I feel no obligation or even interest in justifying myself to you.

If you don’t like what I post, don’t read it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '18 13:181 edit
    That you’re hardly in a position to criticize other people for what they post and that I feel no obligation or even interest in justifying myself to you.

If you don’t like what I post, don’t read it.
    Why not? You have been posting like a surly pre-pubescent for about 12 hours. What makes you think I am not in a position to confront you about it? Is your posting influenced by Jesus and the "God's Holy Spirit" you talk about repeatedly almost every day. If so, how can anyone here tell?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree