09 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 08:54
    I believe there is a God.

I can't prove He (She/It) exists.

I feel no need to.

I contemplate it from time to time.

He hasn't communicated with me.

He hasn't issued me with any instructions.

I have no idea what happens after death.

I leave speculation about that to others.

Because I have no interest in religion.

I feel no onus on me to 'spread' any 'word' about anything to anyone.

I am a theist.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:01
    Originally posted by John W Booth

I feel no need to.

I am a theist.
    Good for you! 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:191 edit

I feel no need to.

I am a theist.
    I draw inferences from the natural world which lead me to the conclusion that there is inherent intelligence and design

he has communicated to me through the pages of an ancient text, the Bible

He has issued me with instructions for a successful, happy, purposeful and fulfilling life through the application of Biblical principles.

At death we are unconscious as if sleeping, awaiting the resurrection, we are conscious of no pain and no suffering. This hope of the resurrection is so powerful its transcends death itself.

There is no need for speculation in this regard, the matter is quite clear.

I like looking at different religious points of view for it is apparent to me that humankind has a spirituality which finds expression in many different ways.

I have a duty to help others improve their lives through the application of Biblical principles

I am a theist, sic semper tyrannis
  4. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I draw inferences from the natural world which lead me to the conclusion that there is inherent intelligence and design

he has communicated to me through the pages of an ancient text, the Bible

He has issued me with instructions for a successful, happy, purposeful and fulfilling life through the application of Biblical principles.

At death w ...[text shortened]... help others improve their lives through the application of Biblical principles

I am a theist
    All the stuff about ancient texts and instructions and your resurrection and transcending death, all strikes me as fanciful speculation, nothing more. Much the same sort of stuff as vishvahetu comes out with. What you seem to be talking about here is your religion. Seems like some sort of a vicarious living or some kind of 'intellectual' narcotic. Has absolutely nothing to do with the God that I perceive. I accept that you are a theist though.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:43
    All the stuff about ancient texts and instructions and your resurrection and transcending death, all strikes me as fanciful speculation, nothing more. Much the same sort of stuff as vishvahetu comes out with. What you seem to be talking about here is your religion. Seems like some sort of a vicarious living or some kind of 'intellectual' narcotic. Has absolutely nothing to do with the God that I perceive. I accept that you are a theist though.
    please forgive me JW Booth, what is it that is not quite clear?
  6. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:44
    At death we are unconscious as if sleeping, awaiting the resurrection, we are conscious of no pain and no suffering. This hope of the resurrection is so powerful its transcends death itself. There is no need for speculation in this regard, the matter is quite clear.
    Here is more of the same kind of stuff:

"The present yuga called Kali, is devastated in 432.000 yrs.......but the entire cosmos is not devestated, but only partially devastated and a new cycle begins, and the world is re-populated. ( this re- population happens every 4.3 billion years.) But at the end of the 311 trillion year cycle, the entire cosmos is devastated and becomes unmanifest, only to be re-created for the zillionth time."
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:46
    Here is more of the same kind of stuff:

"The present yuga called Kali, is devastated in 432.000 yrs.......but the entire cosmos is not devestated, but only partially devastated and a new cycle begins, and the world is re-populated. ( this re- population happens every 4.3 billion years.) But at the end of the 311 trillion year cycle, the entire cosmos is devastated and becomes unmanifest, only to be re-created for the zillionth time."
    no its not the same kind of stuff Mr. Booth you are being not a little facetious me thinks!
  8. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:47
    please forgive me JW Booth, what is it that is not quite clear?
    What is not clear is why theists of your kind feel the need to wrap your sense of wonder and your lack of certainty in so many layers of stuff you just make up or stuff other people just made up and you buy into.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:48
    What is not clear is why theists of your kind feel the need to wrap your sense of wonder and your lack of certainty in so many layers of stuff you just make up or stuff other people just made up and you buy into.
    excuse me Mr Booth, what have i made up?
  10. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:49
    no its not the same kind of stuff Mr. Booth you are being not a little facetious me thinks!
    It's the same kind of the stuff. It's the product of speculation and imagination. I am being zero facetious here. Same kind of stuff. Clearly.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:49
    They are quite much alike. They reason on a similar way. They agree when in certain areas and disagree with insults in other areas. They defend eachother sometimes, and fight eachother sometimes. Much alike.

Same goes for any true fundamentalist.
  12. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:51
    This:

"At death we are unconscious as if sleeping, awaiting the resurrection, we are conscious of no pain and no suffering. This hope of the resurrection is so powerful its transcends death itself. "

Or someone else made it up and you liked the sound of it. It's no different from the stuff vishvahetu peddles here. Truly.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:53
    Your mind?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:54
    It's the same kind of the stuff. It's the product of speculation and imagination. I am being zero facetious here. Same kind of stuff. Clearly.
    no its the product of reason and thought. your position is untenable, why, because you cannot possibly state that there is not intelligence and design in the natural world, you cannot possibly state that the Bible has no principles that if applied will lead to a successful life, you cannot in fact state that there is anything other than unconsciousness awaiting us after death, all in all, what i think your problem is, is that you are presented with a concrete set of values, based on reason and logic while the ones you proclaimed yourself are so completely ephemeral so as to be like scotch mist in the morning.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Nov '10 09:56
    And how is your theism not a "product of speculation and imagination."? What sets you apart?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree