1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:511 edit
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I also think this buys into the gross cult of atomization where everyone is supposed to be as snowflake as possible to gain a snow. A lot to unpack with that sentence -- but do feel free to start unpacking.
    Feel free to unpack it yourself. If something about people ~ and the notion of "individualism" ~ has upset in some way you and earned your pseudy contempt, just come out with it and be clear about what it is.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:54
    I am curious. What makes you an individual?

I think there are people who play with thoughts and interesting ideas a lot, and who perhaps enjoy a lot of hobbies, etc.

But can we really say that everyone has some measured level of individualism?

I also think this buys into the gross cult of atomization where everyone is supposed to be as ...[text shortened]... sible to gain a snow. A lot to unpack with that sentence -- but do feel free to start unpacking.
    You certainly can come out with a bunch of words that don’t add up to bag of bollox.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 13:23
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Feel free to unpack it yourself. If something about people ~ and the notion of "individualism" ~ has upset in some way you and earned your pseudy contempt, just come out with it and be clear about what it is.
    People think that, within themselves, there is something beautiful and unique that is meant to be shared which now functions as a sort of surrogate for a soul. People think there is something intrinsically special and beautiful to each individual.

This fits in very well with the atomized concept of man in the modern world... That the individual is the most basic block of society, and that the rules of law and government all are catered to the embellishment of the individual.

I think, however, that the individual who succumbs to passions and some exaggerated sense of self is darkened and vain and not some deeply unique individual.

I was deeply involved in punk rock and metal music for a decade of my life. Indeed, i am still involved to some extent, but not so much. I got a lot of tattoos with the idea that I could then be a slave to my freedom & indivdiuality my whole life, no matter what. I was very willign to accept bad parts of myself as just unique parts of my personality that deserve to be expressed and make me who I am.

With time, it all just feels like vanity. I am not big into the idea of some exaggerated concept of individualism.

Real worth and real freedom do not come from senselessly feeding every passion within but from quieting them all to find some sort of core, and even then, what exists does not need to be pressured to eb thought of as an individual, atomized being.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 14:43
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    I am God and as such I try to extend every grace within my power
    How does your candidacy for Head Troll fit into this world view?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 14:45
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Oh wait a minute; it’s obvious.

You’re getting subtler in your trolling. Congrats! FMF’s gonna get a run for his money! The dive character seems to be getting all soft and sentimental; wrong time for that!
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 14:46
    He asked, in troll-like fashion....
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 14:56
    I am not big into the idea of some exaggerated concept of individualism..
    Whose concept are you talking about?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 15:37
    Thanks for the succinct statement about how a "creator" gives you a sense of meaning. So, what about the OP question? The answer "In every conceivable way" might benefit from 2-3 different concrete examples.
    <<Thanks for the succinct statement about how a "creator" gives you a sense of meaning.>>

Solomon, in the book of Ecclesiastes, came to the proper conclusion about the meaning of life, imo.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 15:39
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    He asked, in troll-like fashion....
    LOL

Just sinfully engaging in a little payback.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 15:44
    To address the question in the OP, or what I think it was asking without going back and re-reading it, I think genetics is what makes someone an individual on a biological/appearance level and each person’s human spirit is what makes them unique on a spiritual level, which is reflected in their personalities, thoughts and how they express themselves.

I think the environment plays a role in the development of one’s personality, thoughts and how they express themselves but it is an individual’s spiritual reaction to their environment that is much more influential in the formation of that individual’s identity.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 16:48
    To address the question in the OP, or what I think it was asking without going back and re-reading it, I think genetics is what makes someone an individual on a biological/appearance level and each person’s human spirit is what makes them unique on a spiritual level, which is reflected in their personalities, thoughts and how they express themselves.

...[text shortened]... their environment that is much more influential in the formation of that individual’s identity.
    To address the question in the OP, or what I think it was asking without going back and re-reading it... [blah blah blah ... see above]

If you'd been bothered to read it properly a first time, you'd have seen that the question was about the John Ralston Saul definition rather than an invitation to go off half cocked about "identity" assuming it to be a synonym of "individualism".
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 18:50
    [b]To address the question in the OP, or what I think it was asking without going back and re-reading it... [blah blah blah ... see above]

If you'd been bothered to read it properly a first time, you'd have seen that the question was about the John Ralston Saul definition rather than an invitation to go off half cocked about "identity" assuming it to be a synonym of "individualism".[/b]
    Forgive me for not properly understanding your mystical word salad in the OP. I’m sure I can properly understand it after meeting with Karoly later today and will address it then.
  13. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 23:13
    Whose concept are you talking about?
    I cannot think of a specific person.

But I spoke about the topic very broadly.

Would you like to provide us a more specific outline of what individualism means to you? Or perhaps respond to what I said in other places?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 23:25
    I cannot think of a specific person.

But I spoke about the topic very broadly.
    So you are not "big" on something or other that someone said somewhere - you're not sure who, but you didn't like it - and it has to do with people you are not impressed by. Very broadly. Understood.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 23:28
    So you are not "big" on something or other that someone said somewhere - you're not sure who, but you didn't like it - and it has to do with people you are not impressed by. Very broadly. Understood.
    LOL, FMF, do you think that every single thing we t ype has to come in the form of a complete essay with definitions and extensive source citations?

I think you are getting carried away with your dislike of everything I do.

And finding no problem with actual content you pretend that my RHP forum entries are substandard because they do not meet the criteria for publication at the American journal of philosophy.

Nice try.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree