1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 May '14 07:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Jesus is the judge and he tells us that God is good.
    Jesus has judged god to be good?

Was that Jesus acting as a man?
    or
    Jesus acting as god?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '14 19:12
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Maybe you should try to answer those questions for yourself. I'm more than happy to give my view, but I'm not the one believing there's this all-seeing divine being.

My view: the irony part is that the children had just returned from worshipping God in church. Gosh must have had a chuckle knowing these prayboys were soon going to die anyway.

As ...[text shortened]... or a parent to let their six year old child cross a busy road than their 18 year old child. You?
    Is another cover of the "bad things happen so there is no god" awesome thinking?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 May '14 19:45
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is another cover of the "bad things happen so there is no god" awesome thinking?
    As was made clear before that's a gross and inaccurate over simplification..

But...

It's "unnecessary bad things happen so there cannot be a perfectly loving god".

The argument says nothing about the existence or otherwise of non-perfectly loving
    gods.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 May '14 19:52
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Jesus is the judge and he tells us that God is good.
    No that doesn't wash either.

Particularly if you belong to the group that believes that JC IS god.

But either way you are simply shifting the problem from one being to another.

If your answer to the question "how do you know if god is good" is to say
    "because JC says so"...

Then your problem has gone from simply demonstrating that god is good,
    to demonstrating How JC can know god is good AND how we can trust
    JC to tell the truth, AND that truth has been accurately preserved for
    2000 years by regular people.

And that's leaving out a whole bunch of other problems.

The more complicated you make it the larger your burden of proof and the
    more hurdles you must jump through.

You are better off sticking with the [relatively] simple problem of explaining
    how it is that WE can tell whether god is good or not.

If we can't do that then you can't tell if god is good or bad. And thus can't
    truthfully claim that god is good.

If we can do that then you can't tell us we cannot judge god.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 May '14 19:551 edit
    Ah, dude, for real?? Check out page two where that question was already asked.

Seriously, you people really just read whatever the hell you want to read, don't you?

Edit: do you believe that god could have stopped this tragedy, divegeester?
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 May '14 22:13
    http://edition.cnn.com/2014/05/18/world/americas/colombia-bus-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- A bus packed with [b]children
    burst into flames in Colombia on Sunday, killing at least 32 people, officials said.
    The bus was picking up children from an event at a church in Fundacion, Colombia, when the blaze began, Col. Adan Le ...[text shortened]... victims.
    "The country is in mourning," he said.

God likes a bit of irony, doesn't he?[/b]
    "God likes a bit of irony, doesn't he?" GKR's OP

Yep and an exquisite sense of humour, too: look in the vanity mirror in the morning at you and I'll do the same at me.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 May '14 03:03
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Jesus has judged god to be good?

Was that Jesus acting as a man?
    or
    Jesus acting as god?
    For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

(John 5:22-23 NKJV)
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 May '14 03:34
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    No that doesn't wash either.

Particularly if you belong to the group that believes that JC IS god.

But either way you are simply shifting the problem from one being to another.

If your answer to the question "how do you know if god is good" is to say
    "because JC says so"...

Then your problem has gone from simply demonstrating that god is go ...[text shortened]... thfully claim that god is good.

If we can do that then you can't tell us we cannot judge god.
    Jesus is the Son of God and the son of man; and we Christians know we can trust what Jesus said because He was crucified to death and raised Himself to life again after three days just like He said He would.

The Shroud of Turin is proof of His crucifixion and His resurrection because dead men do not make a three dimensional photographic like image of themselves on their burial shroud.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 May '14 10:111 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Man cannot judge God, period.
    I disagree ... I have judged your notion of "God". My judgement is that the terms: "omnipotent", "omniscient", "omni-benevolent", and "perfect{, ly moral}" are not consistent with the claimed actions (or inactions) of this entity
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 May '14 10:541 edit
    Ah, dude, for real?? Check out page two where that question was already asked.

Seriously, you people really just read whatever the hell you want to read, don't you?

Edit: do you believe that god could have stopped this tragedy, divegeester?
    I don't real every thread on this forum dude. And despite your protestations your position is basically: a bad thing has happened, therefore there is no god". Thumbs down all you atheists, but there it is and you know it's true. Weak thinking.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 May '14 11:157 edits
    I don't real every thread on this forum dude. And despite your protestations your position is basically: a bad thing has happened, therefore there is no god". Thumbs down all you atheists, but there it is and you know it's true. Weak thinking.
    More accurately,

Bad things happen, therefore there is no god consistent with the definitions/properties you and others ascribe to it.

If there does exist some sort of god, then either it just doesn't give a toss, or it does give a toss but/and is either
    a) in some way incapable of acting (perhaps not omnipotent)
    b) entertained (with a ripping off the legs of a spider sense of "entertained" )
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 May '14 12:211 edit
    I understand you don't read every thread. I ask "for real?" because I find it unbelievable that you would draw that conclusion on the basis of what I've said. And here you go do it again.

My lack of belief is not influenced in the slightest by good or bad things happening. If a bus drove of a cliff and all 32 children would survive, it still wouldn't change my belief one bit.

This thread was never meant to be about my lack of belief.

It is about you theists' beliefs and the consequences.

You belief in god. Fair enough. I'll now pretend that god indeed exists, and we take it from there. Forget about my atheism. Let's assume god exists.

I'll ask again: do you believe that god could have stopped this tragedy, divegeester?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 May '14 13:001 edit
    I understand you don't read every thread. I ask "for real?" because I find it unbelievable that you would draw that conclusion on the basis of what I've said. And here you go do it again.

My lack of belief is not influenced in the slightest by good or bad things happening. If a bus drove of a cliff and all 32 children would survive, it still wouldn ...[text shortened]... exists.

I'll ask again: do you believe that god could have stopped this tragedy, divegeester?
    Now you're going to go through Plato's dilemma aren't you. Yawn. Jeez try something new if you really want to convince me of something.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    24 May '14 13:271 edit
    Now you're going to go through Plato's dilemma aren't you. Yawn. Jeez try something new if you really want to convince me of something.
    The point I'm making right now is the same one I made at the start of this thread, divegeester. It is you guys that wish to put a label on me. And if the label no longer works, you just choose a different label. Meanwhile, you carefully sidestep the question I'm asking you.

Edit: aren't you the one always attacking the JWs in particular for not answering straight up questions?
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 May '14 15:03
    The point I'm making right now is the same one I made at the start of this thread, divegeester. It is you guys that wish to put a label on me. And if the label no longer works, you just choose a different label. Meanwhile, you carefully sidestep the question I'm asking you.

I'll ask again: do you believe that god could have stopped this tragedy, di ...[text shortened]... en't you the one always attacking the JWs in particular for not answering straight up questions?
    We believe God does what He wants to for a higher purpose because His thinking is higher than our thinking and His ways are higher than our ways. So what you think is a tragedy may actually be a blessing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree