1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 08:403 edits
    The way I see it obedience is a choice. Disobedience is also a choice. When we obey God it 'softens' our hearts and we can then hear his voice more clearly. Each time we disobey God it can 'harden' our hearts. If we continually harden our hearts God can eventually harden them fully as he did with Pharoah. Hence obedience is very important.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 09:17
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    The way I see it obedience is a choice. Disobedience is also a choice. When we obey God it 'softens' our hearts and we can then hear his voice more clearly. Each time we disobey God it can 'harden' our hearts. If we continually harden our hearts God can eventually harden them fully as he did with Pharoah. Hence obedience is very important.
    By this, do you mean that all christians have soft hearts? And that all non-christians have hard hearts?
    Do you mind if I give a couple of examples that shows hard-hearted christians and a couple of soft-hearted non-christians?
    Or do you only mean statistically?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 09:48
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    By this, do you mean that all christians have soft hearts? And that all non-christians have hard hearts?
    Do you mind if I give a couple of examples that shows hard-hearted christians and a couple of soft-hearted non-christians?
    There probably are many nominal Christians that don't obey God.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 09:56
    That's enough stupid questions for tonight.

I didn't take him to mean any such thing.
    Why do you need to jump to that conclusion ?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 10:04
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Why do you need to jump to that conclusion ?
    "When we obey God it 'softens' our hearts"
    and
    "Each time we disobey God it can 'harden' our hearts"

You said it yourself. Don't you like to be taken seriously?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 11:13
    There probably are many nominal Christians that don't obey God.
    Are you a nominal Christian who doesn't obey the god you believe in?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 12:22
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Are you a nominal Christian who doesn't obey the god you believe in?
    I'm betting there is a list in his mind of who is and I'm also betting I'm on it 😀
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 15:30
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I'm betting there is a list in his mind of who is and I'm also betting I'm on it 😀
    I don't have a list. Only God knows.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 16:13
    So what you are saying is that salvation is a work of the individual.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 19:471 edit
    "When we obey God it 'softens' our hearts"
    and
    "Each time we disobey God it can 'harden' our hearts"

You said it yourself. Don't you like to be taken seriously?
    By this, do you mean that all christians have soft hearts?

Wouldn't it make sense to you that in some areas a heart is soft and in some other areas it needs to be made soft ?

Wouldn't it make sense to you that for Christ to make His home in our hearts means a progressive migration further and further into our personalities?

So the condition of the heart for the believer is not a binary matter completely.
    Rather being conformed to the image of Christ obviously involves a process of conformation, cosequently a process of the heart towards God becoming more and more open, trusting, and "soft".

I withdraw and apologize for calling your question stupid.
    Hey, my heart must have gotten softened !
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '17 20:53
    Originally posted by @sonship
    By this, do you mean that all christians have soft hearts?

Wouldn't it make sense to you that in some areas a heart is soft and in some other areas it needs to be made soft ?

Wouldn't it make sense to you that for Christ to make His home in our hearts means a progressive migration further and further into our personali ...[text shortened]... raw and apologize for calling your question stupid.
    Hey, my heart must have gotten softened !
    The only thing I really care about is if it is doing its job, like pumping blood, as it should.
    It is as soft as it should be, and as soft as it should be.
    Obeying or not obeying doesn't change its biological function at all.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 09:41
    Originally posted by @eladar
    So what you are saying is that salvation is a work of the individual.
    Not at all whatever gave you that idea? We are saved by grace through faith and not by works lest anyone should boast.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 09:461 edit
    The only thing I really care about is if it is doing its job, like pumping blood, as it should.
    It is as soft as it should be, and as soft as it should be.
    Obeying or not obeying doesn't change its biological function at all.
    The 'hardness and softness' I had in mind with this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the physical biological sense but rather the spiritual sense, since this is a spirituality forum after all. Seems it all went over your head.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 10:10
    The 'hardness and softness' I had in mind with this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the physical biological sense but rather the spiritual sense, since this is a spirituality forum after all. Seems it all went over your head.
    To give the heart properties as personality traits is kind of funny.
    Why not telling someone - "You have a sweet kidney!" - or "Your are a bit harsh in your liver."

Is it good to have a soft heart? Is this a christian trait? And to be a non-christian is to have a hard heart? This is silly, borders to stupid.

I have seen so many christians with such a hard and closed heart that makes me glad I'm not a christian.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Aug '17 10:321 edit
    To give the heart properties as personality traits is kind of funny.
    Why not telling someone - "You have a sweet kidney!" - or "Your are a bit harsh in your liver."

Is it good to have a soft heart? Is this a christian trait? And to be a non-christian is to have a hard heart? This is silly, borders to stupid.

I have seen so many christians with such a hard and closed heart that makes me glad I'm not a christian.
    My comments were made within a biblical context, you brought Biology into it. So you are going to judge all Christians on the few you know who have hard hearts?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree