pope caving in ?

pope caving in ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
327d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
'For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.' Romans 3:23-24
You are missing the point. Some things are "sinful" and some things are not. The question is not whether "all have sinned". Heterosexual sex, in and of itself, is not "sinful". The question is: is homosexual sex "sinful"?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
327d

@fmf said
You are missing the point. Some things are "sinful" and some things are not. The question is not whether "all have sinned". Heterosexual sex, in and of itself, is not "sinful". The question is: is homosexual sex "sinful"?
I think Ghost is supporting your point indirectly. All have sinned. This includes
Homosexuality
Fornication
Adultery.
The only sex permitted in the bible is sex between married men and women [there is no support for trans men or women in the bible]

F

Moves
327d
1 edit

@rajk999 said
I think Ghost is supporting your point indirectly.
I'm not so sure. I think his generic stuff about "sin" is intended to cover for Suzianne who is unable to state whether or not her faith tells her that homosexuality is "sinful". He hasn't answered the question either.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
327d

@fmf said
I'm not so sure. I think his generic stuff about "sin" is intended to cover for Suzianne who is unable to state whether or not her faith tells her that homosexuality is "sinful". He hasn't answered the question either.
Agreed he is being cautious ... well he and Suzainne are pals ... 🙂

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
327d

@fmf said
The OT doesn't hold its punches when it comes to homosexuality, while the NT only makes 3 or 4 references and mentions it alongside liars etc. (1 Timothy 1:9–10 for example). More telling perhaps, Jesus himself never mentions it.

What Jesus does say is to love your neighbour and that all have sinned, in one way or another. Sin is between the individual and their maker and it is not for us to judge. - Yes, scripture, taken in its entirety, views homosexuality as sinful, but it doesn't exhort it above all other sins. (Indeed it runs parallel to fornication outside of marriage. I imagine most of us are guilty of that).

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
327d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
The OT doesn't hold its punches when it comes to homosexuality, while the NT only makes 3 or 4 references and mentions it alongside liars etc. (1 Timothy 1:9–10 for example). More telling perhaps, Jesus himself never mentions it.

What Jesus does say is to love your neighbour and that all have sinned, in one way or another. Sin is between the individual and their ...[text shortened]... ndeed it runs parallel to fornication outside of marriage. I imagine most of us are guilty of that).
I dont think anyone is claiming homosexuality is .... exhort[ed] it above all other sins. . But you answered the questions which Suzainne is dodging. Homosexuality is a sin like all others. Nobody is claiming to know how severe a sin it is.

A point I have made before is that Solomon lists 7 things that God hates and sins of a sexual nature are not among them. So there is a case for homosexuality being lesser sins than lying, deceiving other, gossiping etc, which are part of the 7.

F

Moves
326d
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said

What Jesus does say is to love your neighbour and that all have sinned, in one way or another. Sin is between the individual and their ...[text shortened]... ndeed it runs parallel to fornication outside of marriage. I imagine most of us are guilty of that).
homosexuality as sinful

As I thought. So, for a self-identifying Christian, they should be striving to avoid it, right?

F

Moves
326d

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Sin is between the individual and their maker and it is not for us to judge.

I am talking about the doctrine and not about privacy or judgementalism.

F

Moves
326d

@ghost-of-a-duke said

scripture, taken in its entirety, views homosexuality as sinful, but it doesn't exhort it above all other sins.

I am just talking about whether homosexuality is "sinful" in the context of Christian teaching; i am not aware of anyone here "exhorting it above all other sins".

F

Moves
326d

@ghost-of-a-duke said

What Jesus does say is to love your neighbour and that all have sinned, in one way or another.

Establishing whether or not homosexual sex is a "sin" that Christians should strive to not partake in - according to the teaching that pertains to walking the Christian walk - has got nothing to do with loving one's neighbour.

F

Moves
326d

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Indeed it runs parallel to fornication outside of marriage. I imagine most of us are guilty of that.
From my non-Christian point of view, adultery is morally unsound if it involves broken promises (betrayal) and deceit, whereas, I cannot see how homosexuality - in and of itself - is immoral.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
326d

@fmf said
What Jesus does say is to love your neighbour and that all have sinned, in one way or another.

Establishing whether or not homosexual sex is a "sin" that Christians should strive to not partake in - according to the teaching that pertains to walking the Christian walk - has got nothing to do with loving one's neighbour.
Actually I just noticed that GoDuke's statement that "all have sinned", does not come from Jesus. That statement is from Paul. Jesus never made statements about people being filthy sinners, or that none are righteous. His words were more encouraging people to be righteous rather that condemning them as sinners.

F

Moves
326d

@rajk999 said
Actually I just noticed that GoDuke's statement that "all have sinned", does not come from Jesus. That statement is from Paul. Jesus never made statements about people being filthy sinners, or that none are righteous. His words were more encouraging people to be righteous rather that condemning them as sinners.
I am also intrigued by the notion that the questions of what is "sinful" and whether a Christian must endeavour not commit "sins" is somehow, and to some degree, abrogated by the assertion that "everyone is a sinner".

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
326d

@rajk999 said
Actually I just noticed that GoDuke's statement that "all have sinned", does not come from Jesus.
I had in mind Jesus saying “He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone.”

In other words, nobody is sinless.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
326d

@fmf said
From my non-Christian point of view, adultery is morally unsound if it involves broken promises (betrayal) and deceit, whereas, I cannot see how homosexuality - in and of itself - is immoral.
I said outside of marriage. I wasn't talking about adultery.

Fornication refers to sexual intercourse between people not married to each other.