1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 04:04
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Your religion is ignorant and hateful. I'm being nice.
    Get over yourself.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 04:08
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Get over yourself.
    Oh the irony.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 04:15
    Your religion is ignorant and hateful. I'm being nice.
    I do not agree that this describes the religion. Some people who claim to practice said religion and then do their best to foster hate and division? Then, yes, I can agree with that.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 04:35
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I do not agree that this describes the religion. Some people who claim to practice said religion and then do their best to foster hate and division? Then, yes, I can agree with that.
    I agree. Aside from Christianity, would you say this about Islam and Judaism as religions as well?
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 17:35
    What if the religion itself fosters hate and division?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 18:11
    People look for ways to justify themselves for a lot of things they do, from time to time they use religion. You it it appears to me just likes being insulting.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 20:50
    Originally posted by @kellyjay to apathist
    People look for ways to justify themselves for a lot of things they do, from time to time they use religion. You it it appears to me just likes being insulting.
    Are you planning to stop talking to apathist?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 09:395 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I agree. Aside from Christianity, would you say this about Islam and Judaism as religions as well?
    Probably, as well as many 'non-religionists'. People are people. Jerks come in all forms.

Ahh, wait, I get what you're asking.

Yes, I would say it about Judaism and Islam. Jesus himself was a faithful Jew. Unfortunately, I consider Islam a false religion. That being said, I know many Muslims and they are fine people. They are blessed by their faith, as are Christians, in that it enables them to lead a fulfilling, even a righteous, life. But it is a religion created wholly by one man, who was not a prophet of God. But the religion itself does not 'foster' hate and division, no. People can be 'ignorant and hateful', but not a religion. This is what I was originally aiming at, that people can be jerks, but not the religion.

(Sorry for all the edits. I didn't fully form what I was going to say before I replied.)
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 09:43
    But it doesn't.

The core of Christianity is love. The love of God and the love of one's fellow man.

Those within Christianity who foster hate and division are erring from the faith.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:08
    Probably, as well as many 'non-religionists'. People are people. Jerks come in all forms.

Ahh, wait, I get what you're asking.

Yes, I would say it about Judaism and Islam. Jesus himself was a faithful Jew. Unfortunately, I consider Islam a false religion. That being said, I know many Muslims and they are fine people. They are blessed by their f ...[text shortened]... on.

(Sorry for all the edits. I didn't fully form what I was going to say before I replied.)
    Surely in terms of Jesus, Islam is much, much closer to Christianity than Judaism. And with so much of that Abrahamic OT stuff forming the foundation of Islam just as it does the other two religions, I don't see how you can say it was a religion "created wholly by one man".
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:17
    Surely in terms of Jesus, Islam is much, much closer to Christianity than Judaism. And with so much of that Abrahamic OT stuff forming the foundation of Islam just as it does the other two religions, I don't see how you can say it was a religion "created wholly by one man".
    How in your opinion is Islam much closer to Christianity than Judaism, in terms of Jesus?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:221 edit
    Islam was fabricated by one man, the author of the Qur'an. He was not a prophet. Yes, I know that the Muslims believe he is, and that is their faith. But you asked me the question, not a Muslim.

Naturally, it has a foundation stemming from Abraham, yes, but it became twisted away from Judaism right from the beginning of the tale. Judaism followed from Isaac, while Islam made Ishmael the hero. If this error was not made up before Mohammed and just passed down the generations, or if it was made up by Mohammed himself, I do not know, but Mohammed did institutionalize the error in his writing, and it became 'holy fact' because it was in the Qur'an, so that Islam got its start as a kind of 'anti-Judaism'.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:35
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    How in your opinion is Islam much closer to Christianity than Judaism, in terms of Jesus?
    Look up who Jesus is according to Islam. He's an absolutely key figure. In Judaism, Jesus is seen as a fraud and a dangerous imposter figure.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:441 edit
    Look up who Jesus is according to Islam. He's an absolutely key figure. In Judaism, Jesus is seen as a fraud and a dangerous imposter figure.
    But neither considers Jesus to be the Son of God, nor does either believe in the resurrection, which is kind of the entire point.

But you are correct, as the Qur'an states that Jesus was without sin, and performed many miracles, and was raised alive to Heaven.

I also understand that Jesus is the single most mentioned person in the Qur'an.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 11:00
    But neither considers Jesus to be the Son of God, nor does either believe in the resurrection, which is kind of the entire point.

But you are correct, as the Qur'an states that Jesus was without sin, and performed many miracles, and was raised alive to Heaven.

I also understand that Jesus is the single most mentioned person in the Qur'an.
    The Jews think Jesus was an imposter. The Muslims think the Jesus story got misinterpreted and misunderstood.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree