Should Christians Celebrate Halloween

Should Christians Celebrate Halloween

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
04 Nov 09

Originally posted by menace71
The issue I have is that You & R.C. come off with a victim mentality at times. Man I admire you guys for sticking to what you believe but the human experience is full of peoples being persecuted for there beliefs. If the JW condemns his/her spouse for not wanting to convert thats a hard thing. I don't think it's black & white. Some people are reluctant to ...[text shortened]... t God honor the institution of marriage? So for division to be caused is not good.

Manny
(Matthew 10:34-38) . . .Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword.  For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law.  Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household.  He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and he that has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me.  . . .

how shall you reconcile these words of Jesus Christ?

rc

Moves
04 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I feel sorry for all children that have parents saying:
"Don't do this, don't do that, god doesn't like boys who does wrong things."
are you a parent? if not then what qualifies you to be able to determine how to bring up ones children? you seem to be offering some type of freedom, without any restrictions?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09

Dude?? G75 who worships the flag? How about that Star on the Cowboys helmet? 😉

The pledge of allegiance totally honors God you know this right? The Flag and nation is said to be under God. Now this may not be true in practice but it is what this nation was somewhat founded on.

Manny

rc

Moves
04 Nov 09
3 edits

Dude?? G75 who worships the flag? How about that Star on the Cowboys helmet? 😉

The pledge of allegiance totally honors God you know this right? The Flag and nation is said to be under God. Now this may not be true in practice but it is what this nation was somewhat founded on.

Manny
are you kidding? its a symbol of nationalism. are you aware the atrocities that have been committed in the interests of nationalism? christians are pledged in allegiance to Christ and Gods Kingdom, not the transient governments of this system. i heard that America is the most nationalist indoctrinated nation on earth, they call it patriotism, but i dont buy it, its the same old nationalistic jingoism, Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori , it is sweet and fitting to die for ones fatherland, oh really!

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
(Matthew 10:34-38) . . .Do not think I came to put peace upon the earth; I came to put, not peace, but a sword.  For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law.  Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household.  He that has greater affection for f ...[text shortened]... than for me is not worthy of me.  . . .

how shall you reconcile these words of Jesus Christ?
13And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.

1 Cor 7:13

???

Manny

rc

Moves
04 Nov 09

13And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.

1 Cor 7:13

???

Manny
yes, the Bible counsels a person who is married to an unbeliever, whether it is a husband or wife, to try their utmost to make the marriage sound, for it is the arrangement that must be honoured, for it is Gods arrangement. actually i dont know if is is the case everywhere, but we actually celebrate wedding anniversaries!

(1 Corinthians 7:12-16) . . .But to the others I say, yes, I, not the Lord: If any brother has an unbelieving wife, and yet she is agreeable to dwelling with him, let him not leave her;  and a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and yet he is agreeable to dwelling with her, let her not leave her husband.  For the unbelieving husband is sanctified in relation to his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified in relation to the brother; otherwise, your children would really be unclean, but now they are holy.  But if the unbelieving one proceeds to depart, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not in servitude under such circumstances, but God has called you to peace.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09

Then I guess I'm going to Hell because I love my country. Yes the Unites States is not perfect but we have brought a lot of good to the world. I believe this to be the providence of God that the U.S.A. exist in the first place. Of course God before country but I've never worshiped the flag either.

Let martial note in triumph float
And liberty extend its mighty hand
A flag appears 'mid thunderous cheers,
The banner of the Western land.
The emblem of the brave and true
Its folds protect no tyrant crew;
The red and white and starry blue
Is freedom's shield and hope.
Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.

Hurrah for the flag of the free!
May it wave as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.

Let eagle shriek from lofty peak
The never-ending watchword of our land;
Let summer breeze waft through the trees
The echo of the chorus grand.
Sing out for liberty and light,
Sing out for freedom and the right.
Sing out for Union and its might,
O patriotic sons.
Other nations may deem their flags the best
And cheer them with fervid elation,
But the flag of the North and South and West
Is the flag of flags, the flag of Freedom's nation.

Hurrah for the flag of the free.
May it wave as our standard forever
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let despots remember the day
When our fathers with might endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray,
That by their might and by their right
It waves forever.

😉

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09

liberty & Freedom & Justice all given to us by God

Manny

rc

Moves
04 Nov 09

liberty & Freedom & Justice all given to us by God

Manny
why would God extol the virtues of one country above another?

(Acts 10:34-35) . . .At this Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial,  but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09

Yes I did get a bit off there 🙂 The nations are but tools in God's hand!

Manny

rc

Moves
04 Nov 09

Yes I did get a bit off there 🙂 The nations are but tools in God's hand!

Manny
mmm, i am quite intrigued by this manny, do you actually think that God has used the united states of America, to promote freedom, justice and other virtues. please note its not a loaded question, nor a politically charged one, just out of curiosity.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09
1 edit

It's biblical that God has used the nations is the past so yes I actually do believe that God still does this now. To use a nation's might to bring about his divine purpose sure. I'm not saying that atrocities have not happened in the name of God or country but I think great good has also happened because of the countries of England & the United States too. Imagine a world without? We'd be flying under a Nazi or Soviet flag most likely. I think The US & England basically kept the West free for 40+ years and in the course of time and history God's hand was in this.

Manny

rc

Moves
04 Nov 09
1 edit

It's biblical that God has used the nations is the past so yes I actually do believe that God still does this now. To use a nation's might to bring about his divine purpose sure. I'm not saying that atrocities have not happened in the name of God or country but I think great good has also happened because of the countries of England & the United States too. ree for 40+ years and in the course of time and history God's hand was in this.

Manny
mmm, how very interesting! and what's wrong with Russia? 😛

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09

There are things I'm not proud of such as slavery & racial intolerance that have been prevalent in this country but man we elected a black man so we've come a long way. I don't agree with the concept of manifest destiny which was touted in the 1800's. I believe we treated the native Americans very harshly. That being said religion of any type is tolerated in the USA. We are one of the countries of the world were you can burn your own flag and get away with it.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
mmm, how very interesting! and what's wrong with Russia? 😛
Well the people were under a very repressive government for very many years. (but you know this) Not very tolerant of JW's 😉 or any other religious groups for that matter. I love the Russian people though glad that the iron curtain fell.

Manny