The voice of God?

The voice of God?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Moves
11 Apr 14

LemonJello,
Who has convinced you that you are righteous and holy and ready for anyone to judge you, even God, to determine whether you deserve anything but what unsaved sinners deserve according to God of the bible.

Where did you get your holiness and righteousness? Where did you get your sinlessness?

F

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by KingOnPoint
And those who care about your soul are not hurt either.
A couple of the forum's more pompous inhabitants did seem a bit dischuffed [a.k.a., in this instance, their feelings "hurt"].

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Apr 14

SwissGambit,
You Typed
-----------------
I did nothing but shame the arrogant and the proud, while bringing a smile to the faces of the wise.
-----------------

You did not shame anyone else. And arrogance and proud"ness" mean nothing for your sake. And those who care about your soul are not hurt either. But don't bring judgement upon yourself because you think God is a joke.
It's all mind control, kid. They have pumped your brain so full of fog that you can't see anything beyond. There is no God. There is no judgment. Nothing happens after we die, except rotting. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you can become a normal person instead of this programmed BibleBot automaton character.

And once you do, you'll be dismayed that it took you so long. Real life is amazingly refreshing, should you care to experience it.

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
There is no God. There is no judgment. Nothing happens after we die, except rotting.
It is still an open question whether religion in general, and some set of beliefs in particular (including a belief in an afterdeath), might have social utility. As Nieztsche wrote, the best preserved community is the one with a common faith (by 'best preserved community' I take him to have been referring to the Jews). Of course, the objective truth or falsity of those beliefs would be irrelevant, so long as the people concerned BELIEVED them to be true. Nietzsche again: "a belief could be true and nonetheless highly injurious, even inimical, to life."

P

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
I heard something last night. A whisper of something. "Change your wicked ways", it said. I can't help but wonder. Was it the voice of God? What do you guys think?

I'm just not sure what to do right now. I try for 2 decades to have a conversation with him. Nothing. Then I do a decade as an atheist, becoming more and more outspokenly anti-god, as you a ...[text shortened]...
I'm afraid all my anti-god posts this morning were just a facade. I'm so confused right now. πŸ™
When you experience the voice of God, you will feel a deep peace in your heart.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by Pudgenik
See, even if I thought that you really had heard the voice of God, and really had felt peace because of it, I see no reason to assume that it brings peace to everyone.

In the Bible, there are quite a few instances of God's voice bringing things other than peace. Sometimes, imminent doom. Sometimes, in the case of the prophets, basically telling them, "you will serve me; everyone will hate you; your life will basically suck."

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Apr 14

Suzianne,
Tolerance Vs. Someone suffering eternally without Christ is wasteful. However, giving up on typing any more bible to the same people may be the thing to do when the people [b]will not
believe because they refuse to believe. Prayer, of course, for them can still continue.

Letting them take other people to the same suffering with them is wasteful also.[/b]
What's wasteful is trying to convert people who will not be converted. We can still love them, yes, we can still pray for them. And yes, we can show them respect, as we would towards any human being. Vengeance belongs to the Lord, not to us. We are tasked with loving them as we love ourselves. Respect is a basic part of that. Let's not fall into vanity.

But I agree that "letting them take other people to the same suffering with them" is usually where I draw the line. But often, "they know not what they do", nor how serious it is.

Über-Nerd

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by Pudgenik
Job didn't. Neither did his sons.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
What's wasteful is trying to convert people who will not be converted. We can still love them, yes, we can still pray for them. And yes, we can show them respect, as we would towards any human being. Vengeance belongs to the Lord, not to us. We are tasked with loving them as we love ourselves. Respect is a basic part of that. Let's not fall into vanit ...[text shortened]... usually where I draw the line. But often, "they know not what they do", nor how serious it is.
More out of curiosity than anything else, supposing it is the case that for we who cannot be converted, "vengeance" belongs to the "Lord"; why would theists be tasked with loving us? πŸ˜•

Treating people with respect is one thing, and it is an admirable goal but who tasks you with this!?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Agerg
More out of curiosity than anything else, supposing it is the case that for we who cannot be converted, [b]"vengeance" belongs to the "Lord"; why would theists be tasked with loving us? πŸ˜•

Treating people with respect is one thing, and it is an admirable goal but who tasks you with this!?[/b]
Jesus has told us that in the second covenant there are two commandments: to love God with thine entire heart, and to love thy neighbor as thyself.

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." -- Matthew 22:37-40, KJV

Are you next going to ask "who is my neighbour?" πŸ™‚ Luke 10:29 and following answers that too.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
11 Apr 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Jesus has told us that in the second covenant there are two commandments: to love God with thine entire heart, and to love thy neighbor as thyself.

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt l ...[text shortened]... thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." -- Matthew 22:37-40, KJV
Ok, I acknowledge the scripture, but for the sake of consistency why would one who will exact "his" vengeance upon us wish us to be loved by others?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Apr 14

Originally posted by Agerg
Ok, I acknowledge the scripture, but for the sake of consistency why would one who will exact "his" vengeance upon us wish us to be loved by others?
The scripture IS consistent. It addresses all people, all of your neighbors, the sinful and the saved. The vengeance bit is another piece of scripture. I was alluding to it because KoP seemed to consider himself the judge of the sinful.

K

Moves
12 Apr 14

FMF
You Typed
--------------
A couple of the forum's more pompous inhabitants did seem a bit dischuffed [a.k.a., in this instance, their feelings "hurt"].
--------------

Okay. If their feelings were hurt, it was a small matter in eternity. In the end, the joking is just vain. And based on the bible, it is another way God can judge SwissGambit if he has not put faith in Christ for salvation.

K

Moves
12 Apr 14

Suzianne,
I am not sure why you think that I think that I am the judge of the sinful? I am another human being who will be under God's control.

K

Moves
12 Apr 14
3 edits

Suzianne,
I am not sure exactly what I meant when I was referring to tolerance. Perhaps, instead of calling it "tolerance," we can call it "settling?" Should Christians settle for people not going to heaven and just stay in one place? Should a Christian simply not move to another place where people are receptive to being saved in Christ? Should Christians just stay in one place and not speak about Christ's salvation, but only tolerate people who constantly deny Christ and influence others to not put faith in Christ?

If a Christian is not a good influence in one place, then why stay in that place? I guess, Christ was not wanted in Capernium(Spelling?) and He left there. He did not stay and never talk to them about salvation. Also, did not Christ tell his disciples or apostles to shake the dust off their feet or something else as a sign against the people of the unworthy place. He did not tell them to be tolerant. Isn't a value of a Christian in testifying about Christ's salvation rather than simply being tolerant?

I realize that I am not an apostle. And when was Christ ever tolerant of people's unbelief and sin? The problem with Christians is that they do not really know what to tell someone. Christ knew what to tell someone. In one case, He started out with talking about water and then switched to salvation.