To be a Christian....

To be a Christian....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
there is no mention of the disciples in the entire passage, your making it up as you go
along FMF. If you are willing to state, yes indeed there is no mention of the disciples of
Christ in the entire passage but i think according to my evaluation, its inferred through
the reference to 'good trees' and 'good fruit', then fine, I can accept that ...[text shortened]... ciples of
Christ (true christians), to help them recognise who they were and in what camp?
I think the meaning of the passage is perfectly clear. But I also understand your interpretation.

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
I think the meaning of the passage is perfectly clear. But I also understand your interpretation.
please answer the question, why would Christ be contrasting false prophets with his
true disciples, to help them recognise themselves, this is your assertion, isn't it.

F

Moves
22 May 12

Indeed why do you think Jesus would be contrasting false prophets with the disciples of
Christ (true christians), to help them recognise who they were and in what camp?
Presumably the message is for present day Christians too, and always has been. So perhaps the passage is intended to help true Christians recognize true Christians, and "false prophets" too.

F

Moves
22 May 12

please answer the question...
Give us a minute, robbie, please. I've got two young kids and its bath time. The answer is above.

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
Presumably the message is for present day Christians too, and always has been. So perhaps the passage is intended to help true Christians recognize true Christians, and "false prophets" too.
no Jesus contrasts and compares the two, your assertion therefore is, that Christ
introduces the idea of false prophets and compares and contrasts them with true
christians (not explicitly stated in the passage but inferred) so that his disciples could
recognise that they really were true Christians and not false prophets, this is your and
the jesters understanding.

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
Give us a minute, robbie, please. I've got two young kids and its bath time. The answer is above.
sure thing dear FMF but your really busted this time, spend your time with your kids
instead of attempting to substantiate divegeesters ludicrous claims.

F

Moves
22 May 12

no Jesus contrasts and compares the two, your assertion therefore is, that Christ
introduces the idea of false prophets and compares and contrasts them with true
christians (not explicitly stated in the passage but inferred) so that his disciples could
recognise that they really were true Christians and not false prophets, this is your and
the jesters understanding.
Well we simply disagree robbie. As I say I do understand your interpretation, so you can at least take comfort from the fact you've explained your opinion clearly. If I were a Christian and I was looking at you and trying to decide whether you were a false prophet or a true Christian, this little passage would remind me to look at the "fruits" of your professed Christianity.

F

Moves
22 May 12

sure thing dear FMF but your really busted this time, spend your time with your kids
instead of attempting to substantiate divegeesters ludicrous claims.
Busted? I simply disagree with you robbie. How can that be "busted"?

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
Well we simply disagree robbie. As I say I do understand your interpretation, so you can at least take comfort from the fact you've explained your opinion clearly. If I were a Christian and I was looking at you and trying to decide whether you were a false prophet or a true Christian, this little passage would remind me to look at the "fruits" of your professed Christianity.
you have not explained why Jesus compares and contrasts true Christians and false
prophets, presumably its to help the disciples to recognise who they themselves are
and who false prophets are by comparing and contrasting the two, according to your
reasoning if we are to really believe that he was making any reference to the disciples
at all. That is really what you are saying and it finds no substantiation in the passage
(there is no mention of the disciples) and you have provided none other than what you
think might be the case through a tenuous interpretation, which for a buffet king is
paramount to a universal truth.

F

Moves
22 May 12

you have not explained why Jesus compares and contrasts true Christians and false
prophets, presumably its to help the disciples to recognise who they themselves are
and who false prophets are by comparing and contrasting the two, according to your
reasoning if we are to really believe that he was making any reference to the disciples
at all. ...[text shortened]... e through a tenuous interpretation, which for a buffet king is
paramount to a universal truth.
I see it as a message for present day Christians too and it always has been. The comparison between those who are false and those who are true is implicit, clearly so. But I get it that you don't agree.

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
I see it as a message for present day Christians too and it always has been. The comparison between those who are false and those who are true is implicit, clearly so. But I get it that you don't agree.
it might be implicit if the passage actually mentioned christians, disciples, Jesus
followers etc etc but sadly its bereft.

F

Moves
22 May 12
1 edit

it might be implicit if the passage actually mentioned christians, disciples, Jesus
followers etc etc but sadly its bereft.
You're mixing up the meaning of 'implicit' and 'explicit'.

I think the meaning of the passage is perfectly clear.

rc

Moves
22 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
yes i know what you think, are you willing to state that as the passage does not
explicitly mention true christians, disciples of Christ or his followers in any capacity and that
what you think is the result of and has its basis in an inference.

rc

Moves
22 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
You're mixing up the meaning of 'implicit' and 'explicit'.

I have corrected it.

F

Moves
22 May 12

yes i know what you think, are you willing to state that as the passage does not
explicitly mention true christians, disciples of Christ or his followers in any capacity that
what you think is the result of and has its basis in an inference.
It doesn't need to be explicit. It is absolutely clear that the "good trees" refers to followers of Christ.