To be a Christian....

To be a Christian....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
15 May 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes i have never once, no, not once ever heard them either privately state anything
positive nor publicly publish anything positive about Jehovahs witnesses, if you have
knowledge to the contrary then you are free to produce it or the statement stands, they
are biased.
But I asked you if you could back your opinion with empirical data. Can't you? Yours is not testimony from an independent source, by your own standard. I have not once ever heard you either privately state anything negative nor publicly 'publish' on this forum anything negative about Jehovahs witnesses, which - by your own standard - makes you biased, right?

F

Moves
15 May 12

It depends, have they taken it upon themselves to review more than one translation
and made a comparison with the original Greek and Hebrew texts and published their
analysis so that it may be evaluated, if so, produce their analysis or are we going to be
subject to more mere opinion of the spiritual buffet kings!
So that seems to be a "no" on accepting the testimony of bible scholars who are critical of the NWT, right?

rc

Moves
15 May 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
But I asked you if you could back your opinion with empirical data. Can't you? Yours is not testimony from an independent source, by your own standard. I have not once ever heard you either privately state anything negative nor publicly 'publish' on this forum anything negative about Jehovahs witnesses, which - by your own standard - makes you biased, right?
either produce the positive statements and/or publications or admit that they are
biased, if you have evidence then let it be shown and i will retract the statement of
bias. Yes i am biased, i have publicly admitted as much, so what?

rc

Moves
15 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
So that seems to be a "no" on accepting the testimony of bible scholars who are critical of the NWT, right?
I stated if they have independently examined various translations and made a
comparison in order to produce their findings, where is their evidence and on what is it
based, stating that they are biblical scholars is meaningless, stating that they are
critical of the NWT is also meaningless, either they have examined various translations
so as to make a comparison or they have not.

F

Moves
15 May 12

either produce the positive statements and/or publications or admit that they are
biased, if you have evidence then let it be shown and i will retract the statement of
bias. Yes i am biased , which i have publicly admitted!
Why is your bias - and no one else's - valid in your mind?

F

Moves
15 May 12

I stated if they have independently examined various translations and made a
comparison in order to produce their findings, where is their evidence and on what is it
based, stating that they are biblical scholars is meaningless, stating that they are
critical of the NWT is also meaningless, either they have examined various translations
so as to make a comparison or they have not.
Well you know full well that there have been such comparisons made and criticisms of the NWT have been made. They have been discussed on this forum in some detail.

F

Moves
15 May 12

6. we knowingly harbour paedophiles - FabianFnas - evidence nil
Will you accept any testimony from victims of sexual abuse who are critical of JW's handling of their cases or of JW's paedophilia policies in general?

rc

Moves
15 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Why is your bias - and no one else's - valid in your mind?
Its not more valid, it has very little meaning to anyone but me. Why others bias exists
and to what extent is hardly less relevant than mine, how do you say that its more or
less relevant?

F

Moves
15 May 12

Its not more valid, it has very little meaning to anyone but me.
Right. Your claims about your own organisation don't hold as much as weight as you perhaps think they do. I don't see why you think ex-JW members' testimony can be so blithely dismissed by someone who admits his own testimony has "very little meaning".

F

Moves
15 May 12

robbie, would you mind refraining from changing your posts after I have already responded to them. It's poor form in my view. Thanks.

rc

Moves
15 May 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Will you accept any testimony from victims of sexual abuse who are critical of JW's handling of their cases or of JW's paedophilia policies in general?
No they are hardly representative of the now near eight million Jehovahs witnesses in
over 100,000 congregations worldwide, if you like we can look at the figures for sexual
abuse and make a comparison with those of society in general and other religious
organisations and note the rather stark contrast, which you will attempt to explain
providing references and empirical data. You may make reference to our policy in
dealing with abuse. I do not accept any spiritual buffet kings assertions without
evidence, so far you have produced nothing.

rc

Moves
15 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
robbie, would you mind refraining from changing your posts after I have already responded to them. It's poor form in my view. Thanks.
would you please stick to one topic at a time, you started with assertions, although
rather vague of evidence of a cult, you have so far produced nothing, if you have
evidence other than mere opinion then let it be heard, otherwise your wasting my time.

F

Moves
15 May 12

No they are hardly representative of the now near eight million Jehovahs witnesses in
over 100,000 congregations worldwide, if you like we can look at the figures for sexual abuse and make a comparison with those of society in general and other religious
organisations and note the rather stark contrast, which you will attempt to explain providing ...[text shortened]... accept any spiritual buffet kings assertions without evidence, so far you have produced nothing.
So that's a "no" to accepting testimony from victims of sexual abuse who are critical of the JW organisation's handling of abuse?

rc

Moves
15 May 12
4 edits

Originally posted by FMF
So that's a "no" to accepting testimony from victims of sexual abuse who are critical of the JW organisation's handling of abuse?
I gave reasons you may make reference to those. What is it about empirical data that
yet alludes you? I will accept all empirical data.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
15 May 12

yes i have never once, no, not once ever heard them either privately state anything
positive nor publicly publish anything positive about Jehovahs witnesses, if you have
knowledge to the contrary then you are free to produce it or the statement stands, they
are biased.
Have you forgotten those two quotes i found within the time it took me to eat an omellette the other morning?