To be a Christian....

To be a Christian....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
14 May 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Ok lets try this again. If a person lives on Mars and cannot come to our meetings, get our liturature, get baptized at one of our assemblies and knows absolutley nothing about the JW's but has heard of Jesus and they want to be a Christian and "follow all the commands" of Jesus, he would no doubt be in god's favor and be accepted as a Christian. God judg ...[text shortened]... ganization and proclaiming we are part of it..
Now does that make it easier to understand?
I haven't been talking about the JW organization, galveston75. I haven't mentioned the JW organization on this thread, not even once. So I am not sure why you are trying to make it seem like we disagree. I am talking about Christians generally and religious organisations generally. You stated that a Christian does not have to be a part of an organization or even a church to be a Christian; you did not state that "a person [who] lives on Mars" does not "does not have to be a part of an organization or even a church". Presumably you mean any organization, and presumably mean Christians who are here on Earth. I fully understand that you feel that participating in an organization assists you in the practice of your faith but we also fully agree that someone doesn't have to be a member of a religious organization to be a defined as a Christian.

F

Moves
14 May 12

With streaching this issue, no, one does not have to be a part of an organization or even a church to be a Christian.
You and I and divegeester are in full agreement over this. I'll be interested to see robbie's counter argument.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
I haven't been talking about the JW organization, galveston75. I haven't mentioned the JW organization on this thread, not even once. So I am not sure why you are trying to make it seem like we disagree. I am talking about Christians generally and religious organisations generally. You stated that a Christian does not have to be a part of an organization or even ...[text shortened]... e doesn't have to be a member of a religious organization to be a defined as a Christian.
We agree but only if that person is not in any situation that he can be a part of an organization that is truly following Christ and designed by Christ as this would indicate his willingness to be directed by Christ just as Jesus's own words show.
BUT if he can then that's where the issue I stated comes into affect.

F

Moves
14 May 12

We agree but only if that person is not in any situation that he can be a part of an organization that is truly following Christ and designed by Christ as this would indicate his willingness to be directed by Christ just as Jesus's own words show.
BUT if he can then that's where the issue I stated comes into affect.
So let's get this straight. If a Christian is not in a remote place - where there are no "religious organisations" - but they are instead among "the mainstream people on the earth", as you put it, then in order to be considered a Christian, they do have to be member of "a religious organisation" such as the Roman Catholic Church or the United Church of Christ or the Anglican Church or the Unitarian Universalist Association, or the Jehovah's Witness organisation, etc. etc.? Is that what you are saying?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
So let's get this straight. If a Christian is [b]not in a remote place - where there are no "religious organisations" - but they are instead among "the mainstream people on the earth", as you put it, then in order to be considered a Christian, they do have to be member of "a religious organisation" such as the Roman Catholic Church or the United Chur ...[text shortened]... ociation, or the Jehovah's Witness organisation, etc. etc.? Is that what you are saying?[/b]
Nope. They have to be doing as Jesus commanded his followers to do. In order to be doing as Jesus said, he would have to be a part of the organization that IS DOING what Jesus said to do. Most are not.
One can live in the United Sates like I do but that does not mean I do the will of the US government. So in truth I live here and have been granted a US citizenship by birth but I do the will of Jesus first and that is where my allegence is founded.
One can be involved in a Christian church by title or association but that does not mean they do the will of Jesus.

F

Moves
14 May 12
1 edit

Nope. They have to be doing as Jesus commanded his followers to do. In order to be doing as Jesus said, he would have to be a part of the organization that IS DOING what Jesus said to do. Most are not.
One can live in the United Sates like I do but that does not mean I do the will of the US government. So in truth I live here and have been granted a US ...[text shortened]... in a Christian church by title or association but that does not mean they do the will of Jesus.
So the list of religious organisations that you say Christians must be members of (unless they are in a very remote place without any religious organisations) if they are to be defined as Christians is a limited list? I fully understand that you consider your own organisation to be on that list; what other religious organisations are on the list?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
So the list of religious organisations that you say Christians must be members of (unless they are in a very remote place without any religious organisations) if they are to be defined as Christians is [b]a limited list? I fully understand that you consider your own organisation to be on that list; what other religious organisations are on the list?[/b]
Well according to doing what Jesus said to do such as what he said in Matt the 24th & 28th chapters........none.
This is what this thread is about, what does it mean to be a Christian. Is it just by title or association or is there more to it?

F

Moves
14 May 12

Well according to doing what Jesus said to do such as what he said in Matt the 24th & 28th chapters........none.
"None"? You're saying there are NO religious organizations on the list of religious organizations that Christians have to be a member of? How so?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
14 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
"None"? You're saying there are NO religious organizations on the list of religious organizations that Christians have to be a member of? How so?
"Well according to doing what Jesus said to do such as what he said in Matt the 24th & 28th chapters........none."

I answered this in the last post as to why none others are doing the main thing Jesus did while he was on earth.
He taught many things but the one biggest is what he did in person and what he told all Christians to do in order to help others learn of him and what it could do for their future lifes.
As of this day no other religions see this or feels like it's their respondsibilities, but they leave it up to their preachers. Why? Did Jesus set up the congrgations that way? No he didn't. He condemned the clergy class and made it clear it is up to every individual to do the teaching work in all the towns and cities and that was eventually to be done earth wide.
Again..Matt the 24th & 28th chapters are there to see for yourself.

F

Moves
14 May 12

"Well according to doing what Jesus said to do such as what he said in Matt the 24th & 28th chapters........none."

I answered this in the last post as to why none others are doing the main thing Jesus did while he was on earth.
He taught many things but the one biggest is what he did in person and what he told all Christians to do in order to help ...[text shortened]... to be done earth wide.
Again..Matt the 24th & 28th chapters are there to see for yourself.
Wait. So what you're saying is, the JW organisation is the only religious organisation that is a legitimate Christian organisation? Have I understood you correctly?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
14 May 12

What would qualify one to be a Christian? Knowledge, Kindness, Love, Devotion, Willingness, Servtitude or Slavery, Courage, Etc?

Jesus said that many would call themselves Christians, but he will tell them "to get away from me".

So scripturally, what is a Christian and what does a person do to be called a CHRISTIAN?
Why did Jesus tell them to get away, what was it they lacked?
What verses you refering to?
Kelly

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
14 May 12

I've been down this path before and have answered you as clear as possible. Go back and find that answer as I'm not doing this again............................
It's integral to this thread and the current debated topic about what defines a Christian. You and robbie are protesting that a Chrisitan must belong to an established Chrisitan organisation in order to be a Chrisitan; I think it is reasonable to ask if you feel that that organisation must be the JWs.

It is quite strange that even within this debate, you won't answer with a simple yes or no??

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
14 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
Wait. So what you're saying is, the JW organisation is the only religious organisation that is a legitimate Christian organisation? Have I understood you correctly?
We seem to have got to the same point via a different route.

I find it quite bizarre that the 2 JWs here will argue furiously, the point that a Christian MUST be a member of a Christian organisation in order to be a Christian, but refuse to answer with a simple yes or no as to whether that organisation must be the JWs.

It does seem strange that something so allegedly vitally important needs to be so vague.

F

Moves
14 May 12

Originally posted by divegeester
I find it quite bizarre that the 2 JWs here will argue furiously, the point that a Christian MUST be a member of a Christian organisation in order to be a Christian, but refuse to answer with a simple yes or no as to whether that organisation must be the JWs.

It does seem strange that something so allegedly vitally important needs to be so vague.
Presumably it feels different and easier when saying it at the Kingdom Hall to each other.

rc

Moves
14 May 12
2 edits

That is a correct statement my Brother. It's easy to tread water and go with the flow then actually working and go against the tide and actually working as Jesus said it would be. It is a hard road to do as he did and can even mean our deaths if we follow Jesus. We are to pick up our own torture stakes and most will not do that as he himself said most will not do. He told them to get away from him....
Those who are determined to follow so called 'private religion', are attending a
religious buffet, in other words they pick and choose what appeals to them and
reject those elements which dont.

The consequences of this are many, the adoption of private interpretations of
scriptures and passages which have no basis in reality and are merely a subjective
interpretation drawn from incomplete or erroneous assumptions. While attempting to
reject elements that are self contradictory, the pick and choose approach may
combine elements which are logically incompatible, for example the
acknowledgement that a responsible parent shall teach ones children values and
then to rile against what is seen as indoctrination. It is also self evident that
fellowship, brotherhood and religious solidarity have been long cherished by
Christians,

(Acts 2:46) . . .And day after day they were in constant attendance at the temple
with one accord, and they took their meals in private homes and partook of food
with great rejoicing and sincerity of heart,

yet those in the private buffet cannot fulfil these needs simply by the very nature of
their form of worship, that being private.

Conclusion: Private religion in the form of a spiritual buffet cannot truly satisfy the
spiritual needs of the adherent as it may lead to merely subjective interpretations,
self contradiction and makes no attempt at solidarity and brotherhood.