1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 12:31
    Originally posted by Nicksten
    Hell was never build for us humans. We are not build to handle hell and nor are we even clever enough to actually even think the unthinkable pain that it can cause.

Hi Nicksten,

(Funny to think that you might be sitting just a stone's throw away in good ol' Joh'burg!)

That is my take on Hell too - it wasn't built for us! Also, the whole picture just does not gell with a loving God. However, how do you get over the immortal spirit bit, and the graphic descriptions in the Bible?
    This used to worry me a lot. How could I enjoy Heaven when I know that loved ones are "down there", or "across the gulf" like in the Biblical story with Abraham's bosom?

The answer for me is in John 3, 16, and other similar verses, where we are told that unless we are "born again" we have no life in us. Adam and Eve were expelled from Paradise "lest they eat from the Tree of Life and live forever"!

So, if you want to put a lable on it, I believe in annihilation. If you do not have the Son, you have not Life, so at the end you cannot live forever.

Now let us not for one minute assume that there is no pain or suffering! Just imagine what it must feel like to get to that DAY, and see what was prepared for you, but you cannot enter or receive it! That must be a truly horrible punishment.

But burning for ever end ever? I think not.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 13:191 edit
    Originally posted by magmacollins
    Very Funny LOL
    It is, isn't it? 🙂
    If you hear that one from someone, then do you continue to trust him? No.

If my girlfriend says to me: If you don't do this or that, I'll punish you!" How long will this relationship last? Not even until the exclamation mark.
    The same thing with god - if he (or some priest) says that I'm going to hell, then the relationship stops then and there. Because that is not loving and caring.
    This is one of the reasons that I cannot worship any christian god. No way, José. It's just too savage...
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 13:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    It's a good invention to keep people in check...
    Like the Sibirian camps in the times of Stalin. "If you don't behave, then you can go to Sibiria!"
    Bad analogy - the Siberian camps actually existed.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 14:111 edit
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Bad analogy - the Siberian camps actually existed.
    True, good point. 🙂
    However, I was thinking of the threat.

When the missionaries camt to Greenland, and prech about the eternal hell, the Greenlanders said: "Oh, warm place, good! I want to go there, what do I have to do?"
    The missionaries had to rewrite that story into an eternal cold place...
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '09
    Moves
    08 Jun '09 15:03
    I believe heaven is closeness to God and hell is remoteness to God. God is most forgiving and the soul in hell can ask and be forgiven. If not the soul remains in its remoteness.
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    09 Jun '09 18:56
    Since purgatory isnt Biblical, that only leaves heaven and hell, and I see no joy in residing in hell forever
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 07:45
    I thought a question of this type would end up in the spirituality corner but its like we choose where we want to post it. So what do you think and/or know about Hell - fire - Hades - the bible - koran, etc.
    Lets know.
    Thanks.
    YouTube
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 12:415 edits
    Eternal damnation is a state where God displays His hatred for sin upon the unbelieving and unrepentent sinner. For Him to do that annhilation will not do. Eternal suffering will do.

God's longsuffering and patience actually causes some hearts to become more hardened. The Bible speaks of those who are accumulating wrath upon themselves:

"Or do you despise the riches of His kindness and forebearance and longsuffering, not knowing that God's kindness is leading you to repentance?

But, according to your hardness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God." (Rom. 2:3,4)

For some of you readers then, today is another day for you to store up and accumlate more of God's wrath upon yourselves.

Do not look to annhilation in the end. Annhilation means that you win. Eternal damnation means that you totally lose.

It is better to confess to God that your judgment took place on the cross of Jesus at Calvary. There, you willingly choose and God accepts that His Son died in your place. Justice was imputed upon the Savior Jesus on your behalf.

God is waiting for you to agree with this plan and receive the Jesus who is resurrected and living as your Lord, Righteousness, and Savior.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 12:53
    I thought a question of this type would end up in the spirituality corner but its like we choose where we want to post it. So what do you think and/or know about Hell - fire - Hades - the bible - koran, etc.
    Lets know.
    Thanks.
    We all have examples of various "hells" in this present world. The only question is, could it be eternal? Seeing as how we have it in the here and now makes it much easier for me to believe it could be eternal. Really the question is not about suffering, it is about the extent of suffering.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 13:12
    Two passages go to a far extent to show too matters.

1.) No amount of punishment will cause some of Satan's deceived to repent.

2.) No amount of time will cause the punishment of the damned to be relieved.

Here are the two passages which I regard as going an extra length so that we all are clear.

1.) "And men were burned with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God, who has the authority over these plagues, and they did not repent so as to give Him glory." (Rev. 16:9)

"And the fifth poured out his bowl upon the throne of the beast; and his kingdom became darkened; and they gnawed their tongues for pain and blasphemed the God of heaven for their pains and for their sores; and they did not repent of their works." (Rev. 16:10,11)

2.) "And the smoke of their tormenting goes up forever and ever, and they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receives the mark of his name." (Rev. 14:11)

"And the devil, who deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimestone, where also the beast and the false prophet were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

Do you want to take a chance on annhilation ? Not me.

Do you want to gamble on procrastinating repentence maybe another day, taking a chance? Maybe your heart will grow harder. Maybe today there is a chance to believe in Jesus but tomorrow you will be too hardened.

I wouldn't play with my chances that way.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 13:301 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Eternal damnation is a state where God displays His hatred for sin upon the unbelieving and unrepentent sinner. For Him to do that annhilation will not do. Eternal suffering will do.

God's longsuffering and patience actually causes some hearts to become more hardened. The Bible speaks of those who are accumulating wrath upon themselves:

[b]"Or do you ...[text shortened]... d receive the Jesus who is resurrected and living as your Lord, Righteousness, and Savior.
    [/b]
    Where the hell you people get this rubbish from is beyond me. It sure aint in the Bible. Is there such an expression in the Bible as 'eternal suffering' ? Eternal damnation simply means that you die and will never be raised. Nobody will ever be suffering for all eternity.

Like all your doctrines Jaywill, you take a piece of the Bible doctrine, add a couple of your own stupid assumptions and Boom ... a nonsensical doctrine. The fact that millions of Christians believe the same garbage that you believe does not make it right. Its unbiblical.

More examples :

Christ said He is the Son of God, and God is his Father. But you are not satisfied with that. You need to add your own assumptions leading to a conclusion that Christ is God incarnate ... thats unbiblical.

The Bible speaks of being born again. This means that you accept Christ and are babtised. After baptism you are born a new spiritual person. BUT you add to that your assumption that 'born again' means you cannot be unborn and therefore you cannot lose your salvation, nothwithstanding any evil done subsequent to baptism .. again, an unbiblical conclusion.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 13:404 edits
    Rajk999 writes:

=============================
    Where the hell you people get this rubbish from is beyond me. It sure aint in the Bible. Is there such an expression in the Bible as 'eternal suffering' ? Eternal damnation simply means that you die and will never be raised. Nobody will ever be suffering for all eternity.
    =================================

What a comforting thought. And what a lie and a deception. Let's look at that passage again:

"And the smoke of their tormenting goes up forever and ever; and they have no rest day and night ..."

You want to change it to read something else ? Go ahead. You want to make it say "And the smoke of their tormenting goes up for a little while and then stops and they get some rest after some days and nights."

I'll take it as it has been delivered - "And the smoke of their tormenting GOES UP FOREVER AND EVER .....; AND THEY HAVE NO REST ... day and night ...."

Excuse me for the caps. But you need to see that this so-called "rubbish" comes right from the Bible.

I prefer to thank God that we were duly warned rather than blaspheme His word as "rubbish".
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 13:47
    Rajk999,

Explain to us how "no rest day and night" means annhilation of these ones damned.

Wouldn't annhilation mean rest ? Then why does it say that these will have no rest ?

Explain.
  14. England
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 13:55
    do i know where hell is hell is in halo, heaven is goodbye fore ever its time for me to go.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 14:151 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Rajk999 writes:

[b]=============================
    ============================== to thank God that we were duly warned rather than blaspheme His word as "rubbish".
    [/b]
    So there is no such expression in the bible as 'eternal suffering'. So if you want to be taken seriously then dont use it.

You did not take this passage as it was delivered. You added 'eternal suffering' to it.

In this passage : "And the smoke of their tormenting GOES UP FOREVER AND EVER .....; AND THEY HAVE NO REST ... day and night ...."

The only thing that you can say is eternal (forever and ever) is the smoke and the fire. There is no reason to conclude that anyone is suffering eternally. Evil doers will burn until they die.

This is why I always say to stick with what Christ taught and you cant go wrong. Here is what He said :

MT 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy BOTH SOUL and body in hell.

God will destroy both body and soul in the Hell. Destroy means they will die.

Smart people dont take their doctrines from Revelation. They take it from the mouth of Christ, and they dont modify or embelish it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree