1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:35
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    She believes Paul was sent by God to preach.
    I believe that Paul and you are sexist.

Paul had the excuse that he was sexist only because nearly the entire world was sexist at that time. It's too bad he didn't tell us what Jesus thought about it, instead of what he thought.

You, on the other hand, have no excuse.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:38
    Those who you call ;brothers' are condemning Catholics.
    Why are you ignoring what these your 'brothers' are saying
    Maybe you could tell us all who these 'brothers' are.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:40
    Originally posted by @suzianne

Paul had the excuse that he was sexist only because nearly the entire world was sexist at that time. It's too bad he didn't tell us what Jesus thought about it, instead of what he thought.

Some parts of the Bible are wrongheaded and/or mistaken, then, and it's not all the inerrant 'word of God', is that right? Follow up question: Are Paul's words about women NOT divinely inspired?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:43
    FMF: You need to ask not me but those who view the Catholic Church as a "Satanic" cult.

And exactly who are these people?

Apparently, you know of some. "Enlighten" us.
    If you personally have never met them, talked to them, or heard or read their views, and so you are therefore unaware of the existence of this point of view. then so be it.
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:54
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Why do some Christians think Catholic Christians are not "saved"?
    The serious answer is that it involves a complex critique of sacraments.

There is the belief that Catholics think themselves saved through sacraments, which is not completely untrue. There does exist some degree of legalism within Catholic and even occasionally Orthodox sacramentology.

However, the more recent Catholic canon talks about the efficacy of complete contrition and how, when there is complete contrition, the sin is wiped away. But, sacraments of confession and of communion assist in wiping these things away.

You will even hear very well versed fellahs like Fr. Chad Ripperger talking about how Catholics may need to concentrate on living in a state of grace in an era where sacraments are few and far between, which certainly sounds like a grandiose legalism.

In Orthodoxy, it is more like the sacraments are good for you and confessing your sins to a Priest is very good for you and a necessary thing to do before approaching the sacraments, but, more like Protestants, the forgiveness of sins is given by God alone and sacraments, while efficacious and beneficial and a source of Grace in the world, do not hold a strong bearing on anyone who legitimatley repents...

So like...

The Protestant has to absolutely advance saved by Faith alone. And anyone who does not believe in the sufficiency of Faith and the Grace that is given by God alone, and not through a Priest, does not actually believe in the true Gospel.

Do also note that there are other critiques of Catholicism that amount to it perverting other aspects of Christianity, but the above is really the biggest and clearest sticking point.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 01:561 edit
    So YOU are a good example of a man who allegedly walking out your life in Christ. Yet an atheist had to tell you what good works is all about because you went around saying that you did not know what it meant.

Anyway walk all you like. There is no eternal life unless some things happen as stated all over the Bible. Failure to do them means you are walking straight to damnation.
    Yes, like you either have the Spirit of the Lord within you or not, and walking with Him.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:04
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Catholics believe Mary lived a completely sinless life - Protestants disagree
    Catholics believe Mary is part of the Godhead - Protestants disagree
    Catholics believe Christ's work on the cross was insufficient and further efforts on our part are necessary for salvation - Protestants disagree
    Catholics believe we should pray to Mary and the Saints - Pro ...[text shortened]... ork of Satan and the Roman Catholic Church is the "whore of Babylon" spoken about in Revelation.
    Is this the time and place to have it out on the RCC? If so, you can be asked to support your assertions about what "Catholics believe.'
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:32
    Originally posted by @js357
    “To be saved according to them you have to profess faith alone. ”

I don’t know where you get your information but good works were essential for salvation in my Catholic boyhood indoctrination. A difference might be that we were taught it was achievable for all of us.
    My post was worded badly. I meant it how you said it.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:33
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Yes, like you either have the Spirit of the Lord within you or not, and walking with Him.
    Clearly you dont
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:361 edit

Sush
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:37
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Catholics believe Mary lived a completely sinless life - Protestants disagree
    Catholics believe Mary is part of the Godhead - Protestants disagree
    Catholics believe Christ's work on the cross was insufficient and further efforts on our part are necessary for salvation - Protestants disagree
    Catholics believe we should pray to Mary and the Saints - Pro ...[text shortened]... ork of Satan and the Roman Catholic Church is the "whore of Babylon" spoken about in Revelation.
    (1) Correct; Catholics do believe that Mary lived a sinless life and was even conceived without sin (the Immaculate Conception). Orthodox & Protestants disagree.

(2) I do not think it has gone that far. I have heard it said that the relationship between Mary and Christ is so strong that supplications to the Theotokos (Mary) is "just as good" as supplications to Christ... But I think that this would not indicate, in the least, that one should necessarily pray to Mary in some conventional sense or use her to function in place of Christ.

(3) This is taking advantage of the wording -- Catholics believe that Christ's work on the cross was entirely sufficient, and merely that as Christians we have to make efforts in our life. A truly repentant person takes actions in his repentance and does not simply practice some "inward only" repentance and avoid going to Church or performing deeds.

This is not entirely accurate.

(4) This is also wrong -- Priests do not have the _power_ to forgive sin, only God has the power to forgive sin, and the Priest acts only "In persona Christi," which means, in the place of Christ in the presence of that person, as an instrument of Christ's work, and not as Christ Himself.

That is to say: they are standing in.

Just as how a Protestant Minister performs a Baptism or a wedding, a Catholic Priest performs confession... That is to say, just as how the Protestant Minister simply is an agent baptizing in the name of Christ, the Catholic Priest is merely just facilitating in the place of Christ.

One of the interesting aspects of this that you have to consider is the heresy of Donatism.[/b]

In Catholicism & Orthodoxy, we believe that [i]a wicked Priest can actually fully execute the sacraments because God can use anyone as a tool to fulfill their will,
    and this is actually a very important doctrine in the sense that it diminishes the role of the Priest.

So... In a very real sense... You have to be charitable to the Catholic view of this.

I understand you are exaggerating and being brief but like... you have to state these tings and look at them from a Catholic perspective. Even if you disagree with them, you should work hard to accurately describe their beliefs so that you can, at least, accurately attack it.
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 02:381 edit
    Originally posted by @js357
    Is this the time and place to have it out on the RCC? If so, you can be asked to support your assertions about what "Catholics believe.'
    Everything I listed is common knowledge. I suppose if I said the sky is blue, you would demand links, and from sources you approve of as well.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 04:06
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

1 John 4:15
    Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

Confess-homologeĊ, to agree (with God), to say the same thing.
    Your an aneathma: of course it matters what people think, you included .
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 04:11
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    If they have God's Spirit within them, they belong to God, they are walking out their lives
    with God within them doing the things that God leads them into. If they do not have the
    Spirit of God within them they don't belong to the Lord, you have been shown several
    times various scriptures on this point, those without the Lord, don't belong to Him no
    matter what they say or do.
    Everything matters to the Lord. He is compassionate after all
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 04:13
    Hypocrite!
    Only hypocrites call others hypocrites. Same with 'troll' , etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree