1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 18:52
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You mean your 1st post in this thread? If so that does not make sense as Jaywill pointed out, Jesus delayed his arrival in order to allow Lazarus to die. Jesus wept at the lackof faith he saw in those around him and it troubled him in his spirit also. Jesus works in the resurection plane, those around him were thinking in the restoration plane. They had faith for healing but not faith is his authority over death.
    Jaywill has pointed out something that he has not proved yet with scripture, only opinion.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 18:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Very true. Jesus knew that he could have gone to Lazarus earlier to stop him from dying, but he chose to let him die so that he could later raise him from the dead.

That said, Jesus I think was crying because of the effects of sin on those whom he loved. Part of it was the pain they were experiencing, but mostly I think he saw their inability to see who he was and what he came to accomplish.
    Where is the scriptural proof of this????????
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 18:59
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Jaywill has pointed out something that he has not proved yet with scripture, only opinion.
    Same with your opinion on the subject isn't it?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 19:07
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Please refraim from troll enties, comedian jokes, lampoon replies, wisecracks of the attention starved juvenile minded.

Any thoughtful answer I consider contributory. JS537 seems to be an Atheist. And I would like to hear his/her opinion on why Jesus wept.

JS357:

I lack that belief. But I lack belief in the father-god, the son-god, ...[text shortened]... nded to convey was obviously, not conveyed as well as other verses like "Jesus wept."
    Well, I can hardly get a word in edgewise. But all the others seem to confirm that when the writer of John wrote "Jesus wept", he meant, "Jesus wept" don't you think? Nobody is saying that it meant Jesus scratched his elbow, for example.

By the way, this doesn't necessarily meant that Jesus wept. It means the writer of John (one of them, anyway, if there were more) wrote that Jesus wept.

I haven't gone back to the original language, by the way.

You guys can find ways to argue about ANYTHING.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 19:32
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Please refraim from troll enties, comedian jokes, lampoon replies, wisecracks of the attention starved juvenile minded.

Any thoughtful answer I consider contributory. JS537 seems to be an Atheist. And I would like to hear his/her opinion on why Jesus wept.

JS357:

I lack that belief. But I lack belief in the father-god, the son-god, ...[text shortened]... nded to convey was obviously, not conveyed as well as other verses like "Jesus wept."
    But you ask WHY Jesus wept.

This assumes something I do not know. I don't know that Jesus wept. I was talking about the clarity of the verse. It seems clear to everyone.

I don't take Jesus to be an entirely fictional character, and weeping is something humans do, so Jesus may have wept. We can ascribe reasons. If you think I am being evasive, I'll say the most likely reason, to me, is that he'd lost a friend ('the one he'd loved'😉 and this was driven home when he was told to come and see him. More fruitful though, IMO would be the importance of the verse. I like the comments at:

http://bible.cc/john/11-35.htm

Incidentally, "atheist" carries bad connotations of militancy and hatred in many people's minds, so I don't use that word to describe myself. But I am not a theist, last time I checked.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 19:41
    Same with your opinion on the subject isn't it?
    Not at all and you know it. Common sense and the context of the verses there show nothing of the sort that Jaywill is proposing and common sense and the scriptures point out that Jesus and Lazarus were close friends. Jesus simply wept because he was hurt that a close friend of his died. Period..........
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 19:47
    Also if this proposal of letting Lazarus die on purpose would be cruel. This would be implying that Jesus let the others die that he also resurrected just to prove a point? I don't think so....
    Don't add to the Bible and that is a serious warning which is clearly written in scripture.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 20:19
    Not at all and you know it. Common sense and the context of the verses there show nothing of the sort that Jaywill is proposing and common sense and the scriptures point out that Jesus and Lazarus were close friends. Jesus simply wept because he was hurt that a close friend of his died. Period..........
    No I don't know it! I completely disagree with you.

I think Jaywill made an excellent point and what's more, looking at the way the account unfolds it is obvious that Jesus refrained to allow Lazarus to die. I don't know why you are getting all bent out of shape over this ... is another weird JW doctrine underpinning your belligerence?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 20:20
    Also if this proposal of letting Lazarus die on purpose would be cruel. This would be implying that Jesus let the others die that he also resurrected just to prove a point? I don't think so....
    Don't add to the Bible and that is a serious warning which is clearly written in scripture.
    Jesus waited. It's in the text man!
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 20:49
    Jesus waited. It's in the text man!
    Then show me the scripture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 21:101 edit
    Then show me the scripture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Good grief.

John 11:6
    So when he [Jesus] heard that Lazarus was sick, he remained in the place where he was for two more days.

Galveston posted: "You need to read those verses more as your flat wrong buddy......"

I think it is you who should read what is actually written my friend.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 21:26
    Good grief.

So when he [Jesus] heard that Lazarus was sick, he remained in the place where he was for two more days.

Galveston posted: [b]"You need to read those verses more as your flat wrong buddy......"

I think it is you who should read what is actually written my friend.[/b]
    This was to insure it was a picture of Christ being dead for 3 days and
    3 nights.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 21:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This was to insure it was a picture of Christ being dead for 3 days and
    3 nights.
    I'm not sure about that; Lazarus was dead 4 days.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 21:30
    Good grief.

Galveston posted: [b]"You need to read those verses more as your flat wrong buddy......"

I think it is you who should read what is actually written my friend.[/b]
    A wrong JW is still right.
    Remember they are 'God's' Organisation.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 21:40
    Uh, Lazarus was a very dear friend of Jesus, one that he loved and he was sad his friend had died..........
    I don't think that was it, because He knew and even delayed His trip there so
    He could raise him from the dead. I've wondered about this before, and His
    knowledge of how trapped we are by death could be it, or the fact that we are
    trapped by death could have moved Him to tears. I've heard others say it was
    that they lacked the faith to bring Larzarus back on their own, but I don't think
    that was it. The reason from my point of view is I do not know.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree