1. Joined
    03 Nov '04
    Moves
    06 Jan '06 22:35
    Bit disappointed to get David Tebb in my group (i.e. no chance of progressing) but I did get lucky in my 2005 round 1 so tough cookies as no-one says these days.

It's only a game....:'(
  2. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    06 Jan '06 23:45
    Originally posted by zebano
    Care to explain why? we don't have to play you =)
    And for a very good reason. I haven't committed myself to 20 pointless F'n games to which I have no odds of advancing unless my engine's running.
  3. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 00:01
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    And for a very good reason. I haven't committed myself to 20 pointless F'n games to which I have no odds of advancing unless my engine's running.
    Clearly, you're not the kind of person who relishes the prospect of deciding the outcome of the group by causing upsets.
  4. Standard memberzakkwylder
    Mouth for war
    Burlington, KY
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 13:01
    Originally posted by orfeo
    Clearly, you're not the kind of person who relishes the prospect of deciding the outcome of the group by causing upsets.
    Now that's intuitive. Clearly, I'm the kind of person who doesn't give rat's ass.
  5. Standard memberHegemon
    A Lost Bobby
    London
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 13:57
    Originally posted by zakkwylder
    Now that's intuitive. Clearly, I'm the kind of person who doesn't give rat's ass.
    If you didnt give a rats ass then you wouldnt have made the post. Your point is quite clear. However, assuming no one used an engine, it would still be only a small minority that would have a chance of winning the 2006 tourney. It doesn't seem to have stopped 100% of the 406 entrants. At least some of us just want to see how well we will do, rather than whine about our inability to come first due to whatever reason.

clearly, shut up. The yearly championship is a great tourney.

Good luck to all those involved. Enjoy
  6. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 14:21
    Originally posted by JimmyBilly
    Bit disappointed to get David Tebb in my group (i.e. no chance of progressing) but I did get lucky in my 2005 round 1 so tough cookies as no-one says these days.

It's only a game....:'(
    Dont worry about Tebb. You can easily beat him. He's got ya all psyched up already to lose.
    Jimmy Billy,.you need a better attitude. You can do it.
  7. UK
    Moves
    07 Jan '06 14:52
    Originally posted by Hegemon
    If you didnt give a rats ass then you wouldnt have made the post. Your point is quite clear. However, assuming no one used an engine, it would still be only a small minority that would have a chance of winning the 2006 tourney. It doesn't seem to have stopped 100% of the 406 entrants. At least some of us just want to see how well we will do, rather than whin ...[text shortened]... shut up. The yearly championship is a great tourney.

Good luck to all those involved. Enjoy
    Exactly. You don't just enter a tourny like this thinking "I must win". That's a road to nowhere as, clearly, there must be people better than other people for any kind of competition to be worthwhile.

Personally I just enter for the heck of it, it provides a lot of games against different styles of player. What does it matter if you lose or win?
  8. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    09 Jan '06 15:58
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    If it wasn't for you two pesky kids I'd fancy my chances 😞

Don't think I've ever beaten anyone above 1900 so I'm gunning for you buffalobill 😉

Should be interesting between you two though that's for sure.
    My best is a 1950 whom I'm 3-0 up with so far, with one to go. Dunno why. I still lose against 1600s though, so your chances are good.
    Have fun.
  9. Joined
    03 Nov '04
    Moves
    10 Jan '06 14:13
    Originally posted by TRAINS44
    Dont worry about Tebb. You can easily beat him. He's got ya all psyched up already to lose.
    Jimmy Billy,.you need a better attitude. You can do it.
    Thanks for the encouragement, I am quite positive but realistic !

Well I've just lost my first game against Mr Tebb, our other one is nicely poised for him to rip me to shreds ! Personally I enjoy playing the top players when i get the chance, and David Tebb plays extremely fast too, so that makes it feel like an over the board game.

Got ripped open by IronMan31 last time - don't think he had his engine going against me though - nice chap, had a chat during the game, gave me a few tips, shame about what happened.

😀😀
  10. Standard memberkwgoodwin
    Patently Geeky
    US Midwest
    Moves
    10 Jan '06 18:391 edit
    Originally posted by flexmore
    group 2 ... wonderboy75 2080 v XanthosNZ 1970
    group 3 ... sealion 2189 v jamjamjoe 1998
    group 4 ... cludi 2232 v DoJoCleaning 2052
    group 16 ... nicohuyboom 2228 v awrightus 2080
    group 33 ... Quirine 2047 v TRAINS44 1987

posted by a will-struggle-and-might-make-it-through-underdog; group 29.
    Don't forget my group, Group 30. Taavo and his 1770 ranking is misleading. He is new to RHP, and is on a streak. He already won four games in the tournament and doesn't appear to be likely to end his streak here.

Of course it's way too early to speculate on my games with him, but I find no reason to believe he won't have at least an even, if not better than even, chance of winning the group. 🙂
  11. Behind you...
    Moves
    10 Jan '06 19:501 edit
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    My best is a 1950 whom I'm 3-0 up with so far, with one to go. Dunno why. I still lose against 1600s though, so your chances are good.
    Have fun.
    I don't count. My push to 1900 was the aftermath of months of steriod abuse and narcotics. Now I wake up face-first in a pillow of foamy drool every other morning and my teeth constantly shut on their own accord, and now and then take off pieces of my tongue. But at least I'm not an engine user.
  12. Standard memberTrains44
    Full speed locomotiv
    Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 00:36
    Originally posted by zebano
    Huzzah!

Edit: Best of luck to all involved
    Yeaaaaaaa!!!!🙄🙄😲😲, now its 😴😴😴
  13. Canada
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 01:04
    I got an upset in my grouping so far, Dotewell about 1700ish lost to Seahag 1300, which will really upset his chances of advancing!!

Hey mr Trains44, im going to check your games, you best be winning this tourney! you know the rules!!
  14. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '06 07:402 edits
    Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
    I got an upset in my grouping so far, Dotewell about 1700ish lost to Seahag 1300, which will really upset his chances of advancing!!

Hey mr Trains44, im going to check your games, you best be winning this tourney! you know the rules!!
    One of those horrible games where you build a decent position then wreck it all with one inexplicable oversight.

Game 1688154

(I really should start using the notes facility...)

Not good news for me but it certainly won't be the only game I lose in the group.
  15. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    22 Jan '06 07:102 edits
    group 23 has a result already!

"whites king knight", User 135050, is through to the second round - winning all 16 games.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree