1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 May '22 02:26
    @wildgrass said
    Yea there's definitely a myth that schools are "soft targets" for gunmen. All doors are locked all day, cameras everywhere, teachers are trained, kids practice active shooter drills, armed officers are often on school grounds.

Very little of it has helped, and I don't know what an escalation of security will look like in schools. I guess they'll be more like airports, wi ...[text shortened]... ep your head down and don't say anything provocative ever.

Sounds like a fun day in kindergarten.
    That sounds like a healthy environment.

Do they actually still invest in school books and things?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 May '22 03:28
    @jj-adams said
    So what if he did?
    The neighborhood had a rash of break-ins and burglaries, even a home invasion, by young black males, so it would make sense to be on the look out for strangers that didn't live there.
    There's nothing wrong with profiling for age/race/sex if the person matches the description of the perps..
    Why do you people continually harp on him "profiling" the kid as if that was an illegal act and made it wrong for him to defend himself?
    I wouldn't expect a racist to understand this BUT:

You as an individual shouldn't be subject to enhanced suspicion because of your race.

Racial profiling is illegal in Florida BTW:

" 943.1714 Racial profiling prohibited.—
    60 (1) As used in this section, the term “racial profiling”
    61 means determining probable cause for and carrying out the
    62 detention, interdiction, or other disparate treatment of a
    63 person based solely on the person’s race or ethnicity.
    64 (2) A law enforcement officer may not engage in racial
    65 profiling in the performance of his or her official duties,
    66 including, but not limited to, conducting a traffic stop, making
    67 a physical arrest, or taking a person into custody.
    68 (3) Each law enforcement agency in this state shall adopt 69 departmental policies to prohibit the practice of racial
    70 profiling.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2018/592/BillText/Filed/HTML
  3. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 May '22 03:32
    @metal-brain said
    I never said they shouldn't report it....moron!
    I said they are over reporting it and they are.

Remember that weekend when there were 4 mass shootings and they only reported the white supremacist? Why didn't they report the other 3 as much? I'll tell you why. They covertly were encouraging copy cats of that sort of racist hate crime. This time they didn't get a white ...[text shortened]... ate news media largely ignore those other 3 that are a real concern for parents grandparents voters?
    What?! We're a day past an elementary classroom massacre. Over reporting the border crisis. Over reporting nonexistent voter fraud. Over reporting the comings and goings of the Kardashians. Not this. All your other examples are irrelevant underreporting. Shooting a classroom of 9 year olds beyond the point of recognition. Not over reported at all.
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 May '22 05:13
    @wildgrass said
    What?! We're a day past an elementary classroom massacre. Over reporting the border crisis. Over reporting nonexistent voter fraud. Over reporting the comings and goings of the Kardashians. Not this. All your other examples are irrelevant underreporting. Shooting a classroom of 9 year olds beyond the point of recognition. Not over reported at all.
    When two thirds of the news is about a mass shooting it is over reported. Nobody is suggesting that it not be reported, but over reporting it inspires more mass shootings that gets people killed and injured. I have noticed your concern for human life throughout the pandemic to promote gene vaccines and now it is time to prove human life means as much to you now as it did for partisan reasons.

https://www.livescience.com/51429-mass-shootings-are-contagious.html

Now you know over reporting mass shootings gets people killed. What do you suggest doing about it to save lives?
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 May '22 05:311 edit
    In Chicago, a mass shooting unfolded which triggered the city to go into lockdown and a curfew was enforced. In Milwaukee, several mass shootings occurred, with one of them totaling 17 victims. These mass shootings also triggered a lockdown and curfew in the city.

In Laguna Woods, California, a mass shooting unfolded on Sunday as church members gathered for lunch. One person died and five others are currently fighting for their lives.

Why didn’t these other shootings receiving the same incessant round-the-clock coverage like the tragedy in Buffalo? Are the victims’ lives in Milwaukee, Chicago, and Laguna Woods worth less?

I know reporting mass shootings has to happen, but intense news coverage that takes up more than half of the news program is inspiring more mass shootings. That is irresponsible and I would even suggest the corporate news media is trying to inspire more mass shootings involving white supremacy to use as an excuse to promote censorship under the guise of saving lives. I suggest we condemn the corporate news media for over reporting it. Regardless of whether they are doing it wittingly or unwittingly they are causing more people to die. Condemn the corporate news media to save lives.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 May '22 05:34
    You do realise, that by underscoring all these mass shootings, you are actually arguing that the problem is under-reported, under-identified and so problematic that politicians not solving it is basically criminal neglect?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 May '22 06:19
    @shavixmir said
    You do realise, that by underscoring all these mass shootings, you are actually arguing that the problem is under-reported, under-identified and so problematic that politicians not solving it is basically criminal neglect?
    No, I am arguing they are selectively reported on. It is both.
    They are over reporting the hate crimes and under reporting the non hate crimes.

That makes more mass shootings from hate crimes more likely. The goal is to use hate crimes to justify censorship so Biden can get his ministry of truth, not gun control. If their goal was gun control they would give them all lots of coverage.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 May '22 09:53
    @metal-brain said
    In Chicago, a mass shooting unfolded which triggered the city to go into lockdown and a curfew was enforced. In Milwaukee, several mass shootings occurred, with one of them totaling 17 victims. These mass shootings also triggered a lockdown and curfew in the city.

In Laguna Woods, California, a mass shooting unfolded on Sunday as church members gathered for lunch. One ...[text shortened]... or unwittingly they are causing more people to die. Condemn the corporate news media to save lives.
    The answer to the gang shootings is exactly the same as the answer to school shootings. Drastically curb availability of weapons with which to shoot people regardless of colour or age.
    What you call over reporting I call focusing attention on an incident that only the most heartless sociopath would not care about in order to stimulate political debate about the ridiculousness of current gun laws in the US.
  9. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    26 May '22 10:28
    Making drugs illegal didn't stop our current society with its massive drug use/deaths.

Making guns illegal will just leave guns in the hands of criminals who don't care about gun laws 🤷
  10. Standard memberKellyJayonline
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '22 10:34
    @kevcvs57 said
    The answer to the gang shootings is exactly the same as the answer to school shootings. Drastically curb availability of weapons with which to shoot people regardless of colour or age.
    What you call over reporting I call focusing attention on an incident that only the most heartless sociopath would not care about in order to stimulate political debate about the ridiculousness of current gun laws in the US.
    It isn't the weapons; it is the heart of the people who do the killing; when life is
    reduced in importance, it shouldn't be surprising that people act as if life isn't all
    that important. We have been reducing life in the hearts of others for years, and we
    have also seen a lack of concern for authority, so it shouldn't be a surprise that
    those in authority are ridiculed and even killed. We are repeating what we have
    been sowing as a society.
  11. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    26 May '22 10:37
    @KellyJay

Very True.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    26 May '22 10:391 edit
    @capacrapa said
    Making drugs illegal didn't stop our current society with its massive drug use/deaths.

Making guns illegal will just leave guns in the hands of criminals who don't care about gun laws 🤷
    No making guns illegal along with amnesty collections and incentives to hand in illegally held weapons plus the requirement to store them safely and produce them for the purposes of enduring they are still in legal hands will eventually reduce their availability to criminals.
    What if you just were not allowed to take your hand gun out of the property your protecting. There is absolutely no need for anyone in civil society to be going to the shops or down the park with a semi automatic machine gun.
    It’s got to start somewhere but I get that people would not want to be suddenly defenceless in a society awash with weapons.
    The idea that any kind of reasonable gun control is the same as taking everyone’s guns away is ridiculous.
    I’m guessing you cannot buy guns with a criminal record but they still get them because the market is flooded with legally owned guns.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 May '22 11:38
    @kellyjay said
    It isn't the weapons; it is the heart of the people who do the killing; when life is
    reduced in importance, it shouldn't be surprising that people act as if life isn't all
    that important. We have been reducing life in the hearts of others for years, and we
    have also seen a lack of concern for authority, so it shouldn't be a surprise that
    those in authority are ridiculed and even killed. We are repeating what we have
    been sowing as a society.
    Maybe all that is true, but the changing of people's hearts is not a realistic solution.

It's been clear for a long time that virtually all these mass shooters use high capacity magazines of 30 rounds or more. These are unnecessary for any type of reasonable self-defense. A Federal law banning any magazine over 10 rounds should be enacted immediately; there are several cases where mass shooters were overpowered when they were trying to change mags (the Giffords' shooting incident was one as I recall).

Second, as already mentioned, the sale of military type weapons like the AR-15 should have an age limit of 21. It's absurd that Ramos couldn't buy a pack of cigarettes but could get online on his 18th birthday and order a couple of AR-15s which were immediately on their way.

Third, mass shooters have been using body armor so that normal police weapons are ineffective against them in most body areas. The Buffalo shooter was actually hit by the guard's fire but managed to shrug it off and kill the guard. I see no reasonable use for body armor for civilians and it too should be Federally banned.

Do these things and I think the number of such shootings could be significantly reduced and their lethality when they do occur much less. Schumer should force a vote on each measure in the Senate and see if Republicans have the cowardice to block them by filibuster.
  14. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    26 May '22 11:45
    @no1marauder

The Virginia tech shooter killed 32 students with a handgun and wounded 17.

If we make laws banning one type of gun they will try to ban the next type and so on.
  15. Joined
    10 May '22
    Moves
    26 May '22 11:47
    @kevcvs57

Agreed but until society comes up with a solution that scares criminals so much they won't even think about carrying a gun nothing will change.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree