Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 22 Nov '15 14:27 / 1 edit
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/21/poll-40-percent-of-millennials-want-speech-censored/

    A new Pew Research Center poll shows that 40 percent of American Millennials (ages 18-34) are likely to support government prevention of public statements offensive to minorities.

    It should be noted that vastly different numbers resulted for older generations in the Pew poll on the issue of offensive speech and the government’s role.

    Around 27 percent of Generation X’ers (ages 35-50) support such an idea, while 24 percent of Baby Boomers (ages 51-69) agree that censoring offensive speech about minorities should be a government issue. Only 12 percent of the Silent Generation (ages 70-87) thinks that government should prevent offensive speech toward minorities.

    The poll comes at a time when college activists, such as the group “Black Lives Matter,” are making demands in the name of racial and ethnic equality at over 20 universities across the nation.
  2. 22 Nov '15 14:30 / 1 edit
    Aside from government run education and indoctrination, what accounts for these shifts in attitude regarding free speech and government censorship?
  3. 22 Nov '15 14:37
    Originally posted by whodey
    Aside from government run education and indoctrination, what accounts for these shifts in attitude regarding free speech and government censorship?
    There is no "]Aside from government run education and indoctrination".
    That's the root of it all. It all starts there.
  4. 22 Nov '15 14:46 / 3 edits
    Are there any millennials out there? If so, what should be done to Bill Maher for saying these hateful and bigoted comments?

    Bill Maher did not mince words Friday night as he sparred with a liberal guest over whether or not some of the beliefs held by millions of practicing Muslims around the world are “bad.”

    Maher’s exchange with Chrystia Freeland, a member of the Canadian House of Commons, came after he opened up his program contending many of the Syrian refugees don’t share many of America’s cornerstone values.


    “If you are in this religion, you probably do have values that are at odds. This is what liberals don’t want to recognize,” Maher said. “This idea that somehow we do share values that all religions are alike is bulls***.”

    That triggered a debate amongst Maher’s panel, but particularly seemed to offend Freeland who pushed back against the HBO host.

    “Are you guys saying that the Muslim faith is by definition worse than other people’s?” she asked.

    “Yes! The ideas,” Maher countered. “If 6 million people in a supposedly moderate country agree with ISIS. You know, I read this article recently — it was attacking me about my beliefs on such things. And they said, ‘Oh Bill, you paint with too broad of a brush.’ What about Indonesia? The moderate country of Indonesia. And then they went on to say, ‘Only 18 percent believe in honor killings.’ Really? So one out of five people in the moderate country your holding up as the moderate country believes if a woman is raped we blame and kill her?”

    Freeland continued to press Maher.

    “Bill you spend most of your show pointing out the dumbness of Americans,” she quipped.

    “You know, dumbness is a little different,” Maher shot back.



    .
    “No seriously, it is very wrong to demonize a religion,” Freeland said.

    “I’m not demonizing!” Maher countered, raising his voice. “I am just reporting. You are making it a demonization.”

    Sen. Angus King (I-Maine) jumped in and said the challenge is to help the majority of peaceful Muslims change the belief system held by the radical ones.

    “You don’t do that by saying Muslims are bad!” Freeland interjected.

    “I’m not saying that. I’m saying the ideas need to be changed,” Maher said.

    “You’re saying their ideas are bad?” a seemingly offended Freeland asked.

    “Killing women for being raped I would say is a bad idea. Yeah, I do,” Maher fired back as the audience erupted in applause. “Hang me for it.”
  5. 22 Nov '15 14:50 / 1 edit
    Should we hang Maher for such hateful rhetoric?
  6. 22 Nov '15 15:02
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    There is no "]Aside from government run education and indoctrination".
    That's the root of it all. It all starts there.
    The left is going about it the right way. Just raise a generation of ignorant entitled loving statists and the Constitution is dung.

    Tyranny is literally just a generation away.
  7. 22 Nov '15 20:42
    Originally posted by whodey
    The left is going about it the right way. Just raise a generation of ignorant entitled loving statists and the Constitution is dung.

    Tyranny is literally just a generation away.
    They've been redefining morality for quite some time now. Repeat it enough times and people begin to believe it.
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    22 Nov '15 22:25
    Originally posted by whodey
    The left is going about it the right way. Just raise a generation of ignorant entitled loving statists and the Constitution is dung.

    Tyranny is literally just a generation away.
    Is that a generation forward or backward?
  9. 22 Nov '15 22:28
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Is that a generation forward or backward?
    What do you think?
  10. 22 Nov '15 22:36
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Is that a generation forward or backward?
    It would definitely be forward, but in the wrong direction.
  11. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 Nov '15 06:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Are there any millennials out there? If so, what should be done to Bill Maher for saying these hateful and bigoted comments?

    Bill Maher did not mince words Friday night as he sparred with a liberal guest over whether or not some of the beliefs held by millions of practicing Muslims around the world are “bad.”

    Maher’s exchange with Chrystia Freeland, a ...[text shortened]... a bad idea. Yeah, I do,” Maher fired back as the audience erupted in applause. “Hang me for it.”
    Well, I guess I might have been for hanging Bill Maher for other things he has said, but in this case, I am on his side. Go Bill, go!

    Pardon me. I forgot that I am supposed to be silent, for I am a member of the Silent Generation.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    23 Nov '15 09:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/21/poll-40-percent-of-millennials-want-speech-censored/

    A new Pew Research Center poll shows that 40 percent of American Millennials (ages 18-34) are likely to support government prevention of public statements offensive to minorities.

    It should be noted that vastly different numbers resulted for older generations in the P ...[text shortened]... ing demands in the name of racial and ethnic equality at over 20 universities across the nation.
    That's still a significant minority so your hysterical Chicken Little posts are ludicrous.

    The full poll results are here: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2015/11/20/40-of-millennials-ok-with-limiting-speech-offensive-to-minorities/
  13. 23 Nov '15 11:34
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Is that a generation forward or backward?
    For people like you, anything that destroys the Constitution is a step forward.
  14. 23 Nov '15 13:01 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    There is no "]Aside from government run education and indoctrination".
    That's the root of it all. It all starts there.
    If the government was really controlling what is taught in our classrooms, one would expect schools to have been peddling free-market dogma since the 1980s. In fact, the academy has often taken an oppositional posture and has generally been to the left of the government. In the 1980s, in Britain, our universities were one of the main areas of opposition to Thatcher's government. So yes, there was and to an extent is a dominant left-wing posture in universities; but no, this was not state-sponsored.

    Indeed, the state has since been trying to eradicate this opposition by imposing free-market "solutions" on the university system and making universities work like businesses. In your country, it was a Republican, Scott Walker, who tried to remove the references to "the search for truth" as the mission of Wisconsin's universities by a new goal: “to meet the state’s workforce needs.” Ergo, it is the right that has lately been seeking to turn education into a system of indoctrination.

    I have to say that I, as a university teacher, have never striven to indoctrinate my students (a notion I regard with horror), but to help them to acquire the tools to make their own moral and political decisions. I think most teachers act likewise. Yet even if the education system was advancing a leftist agenda, I'm not sure this would be any more powerful and transformative socially than the pervasive right-wing influence of the Murdoch press.
  15. 23 Nov '15 18:49
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    If the government was really controlling what is taught in our classrooms, one would expect schools to have been peddling free-market dogma since the 1980s. In fact, the academy has often taken an oppositional posture and has generally been to the left of the government. In the 1980s, in Britain, our universities were one of the main areas of opposition to ...[text shortened]... werful and transformative socially than the pervasive right-wing influence of the Murdoch press.
    As the overall balance in a nation, based on its government slides left or right, in my case meaning more control (left) and laissez faire (right), the education system bears a great deal of responsibility.

    Schools in the US did peddle free market dogma for most of the first century of our existence, but in the last century to the present, even the Republican party has gone to the dark side. Instead of laissez faire, the argument is over what government controls are best.

    I admire your personal choice as a teacher, but regard your confidence in the scruples of other educators as naive.

    As to the Press, Murdoch barely balances the leftist sources of news, in fact he falls far short. His local outlets are often very much left wing sources, depending on location. Newspapers represent an ever declining percentage of where people get their news.