Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 29 Jan '10 22:42
    Dear CatholicVote Member,

    Last year we fought hard to have our “Life: Imagine the Potential” ad shown during the Super Bowl. After several days of negotiations, NBC rejected the ad.

    This year Focus on the Family has had success with a different network, as CBS is poised to show their own ad celebrating the accomplishments of college football star Tim Tebow next Sunday.

    In 1985, Tebow’s mother Pam was advised to abort her child. She decided against it citing her Christian faith as a source of hope that her son would be ok. Her son, Tim Tebow, won the Heisman Trophy in 2007.

    While the ad has been approved, pro-abortion groups are now urging CBS to censor the Super Bowl ad!

    Sign our group letter to CBS. Tell them not to give in to pressure and show the ad!

    And tell your friends to visit www.CatholicVote.org to join us!



    It still amazes us how vicious pro-abortion advocates can be, especially when they don’t get their way, or sense that their “cause” is being threatened in a serious way.

    For all their talk about respect of mothers, of choice, and of differences of opinions, none of those things apply to actual pro-life people. Or in this case, the mother of Tim Tebow.

    Here is just one example. It’s important for us to read this and realize the level of anger we are facing. This from Tommy Craggs at DeadSpin:


    "I’m guessing the Tebows’ ad, for spanky Jim Dobson’s Focus on the Family, will extol the glories of family and motherhood and the value of children and other seemingly innocuous fare; it will also be 30 seconds of anti-abortion dog-whistling to the Christian right on a frequency somewhere beyond the range of only CBS executives. The moral, implicit or otherwise, will be: don’t terminate your pregnancy; that blastocyst might turn into Tim Tebow.

    "... But the Tebows’ message should be called for what it is, and what it is is outright quackery that doesn’t differ appreciably from my going on television with a toy stethoscope and urging America to start treating itself with leeches."


    Breathtaking, isn’t it?

    And this sort of vitriol is not even limited to individuals. As Matt Archibold points out, the Center for Reproductive Rights, in a letter to CBS, is flat-out claiming Tebow’s mom is a liar!

    The wider audience however – those who are not passionately pro-life or pro-abortion – are seeing both sides of this issue for who they are, and that’s always a good thing for pro-lifers.

    Here at CatholicVote, we believe in supporting Tim Tebow, the brave choice of his mother, and the smart decision made by the CBS executives.

    Please click here to tell CBS you support their decision to air the Tim Tebow Commercial (and tell your friends, too!)

    Sincerely,

    Brian Burch and Thomas Peters,
    CatholicVote.org


    P.S. The fact that we are talking about a successful pro-life ad airing during the Super Bowl speaks volumes about our movement. We are growing more confident and more effective every day. Anyone involved in efforts to affirm the dignity of human life should feel proud next Sunday when this ad is broadcast to hundreds of millions around the world.

    *******************************************************************
  2. 29 Jan '10 22:58 / 2 edits
    It's just so convenient that this particular child grew up to be someone like Tim Tebow.

    If you really want to spotlight mothers making brave choices, make an ad about a mother who was pregnant with a child that she knew had severe physical or mental abnormalities, but chose to give birth anyway because she was pro-life. Knowing all the challenges and expenses that raising such a child would involve.

    The ad could talk about all the various programs that I assume CatholicVote is supporting to help such parents deal with all these challenges.
  3. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    29 Jan '10 23:22
    What's the big deal? She choose not to have an abortion. The only ones saying that the government has a legitimate say in that choice are people like CatholicVote.
  4. 29 Jan '10 23:31
    CBS has now opened the floodgates to political adds. Let the games begin!
  5. Subscriber Sleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    29 Jan '10 23:38
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    It's just so convenient that this particular child grew up to be someone like Tim Tebow.

    If you really want to spotlight mothers making brave choices, make an ad about a mother who was pregnant with a child that she knew had severe physical or mental abnormalities, but chose to give birth anyway because she was pro-life. Knowing all the challenges and ...[text shortened]... s that I assume CatholicVote is supporting to help such parents deal with all these challenges.
    So, Sarah Palin then? Just imagine the uproar over THAT ad.
  6. 29 Jan '10 23:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    So, Sarah Palin then? Just imagine the uproar over THAT ad.
    don't give them any ideas....then again...go ahead and give them the idea...the uproar would be fun.

    and people might actually pay attention to the ad
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Jan '10 20:21
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    CBS has now opened the floodgates to political adds. Let the games begin!
    And so they should. Why shouldn't they try to sell the ads for every dollar they can? The more people willing to place ads, the higher the price per ad. By allowing political ads, you ratchet up demand. IF CBS rejects ads because of political content, they're probably doing a disservice to their shareholders.
  8. 31 Jan '10 20:48
    Originally posted by sh76
    And so they should. Why shouldn't they try to sell the ads for every dollar they can? The more people willing to place ads, the higher the price per ad. By allowing political ads, you ratchet up demand. IF CBS rejects ads because of political content, they're probably doing a disservice to their shareholders.
    So why are they rejecting ads based on the fact that there are gay men in it?

    http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/29/news/companies/mancrunch_ad_super_bowl/

    They reject an add because it advertises a gay male dating site.

    Why shouldn't they try to sell the ads for every dollar they can? ...as long as its for movements that they support that is. Otherwise they find stupid reasons to ban them - providing a great (dis)service to their shareholders.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Jan '10 21:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    So why are they rejecting ads based on the fact that there are gay men in it?

    http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/29/news/companies/mancrunch_ad_super_bowl/

    They reject an add because it advertises a gay male dating site.

    Why shouldn't they try to sell the ads for every dollar they can? ...as long as its for movements that they support that is. Otherwise they find stupid reasons to ban them - providing a great (dis)service to their shareholders.
    Everything I said about the abortion ad applies equally to the gay dating site ad.

    No difference.
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    31 Jan '10 21:51
    Originally posted by sh76
    Everything I said about the abortion ad applies equally to the gay dating site ad.

    No difference.
    Gee, where's the support for the free enterprise system?

    If CBS decides that an ad's content is not appropriate to run during their programming, that's up to them. Do they have to run Viagra commercials during their Saturday morning cartoons, for example?
  11. 31 Jan '10 21:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Gee, where's the support for the free enterprise system?

    If CBS decides that an ad's content is not appropriate to run during their programming, that's up to them. Do they have to run Viagra commercials during their Saturday morning cartoons, for example?
    Why not?

    http://www.apologitis.com/gr/ancient/eik/sex/coverartmermaid.jpg
  12. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    31 Jan '10 21:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Gee, where's the support for the free enterprise system?

    If CBS decides that an ad's content is not appropriate to run during their programming, that's up to them. Do they have to run Viagra commercials during their Saturday morning cartoons, for example?
    Right here No1, I didn't bother with either of these threads because it's so darn obvious.
  13. 31 Jan '10 23:39
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    What's the big deal? She choose not to have an abortion. The only ones saying that the government has a legitimate say in that choice are people like CatholicVote.
    That is a great point. So what is the big deal in censoring this ad? It seems to me all that they are doing is celebrating the woman's choice to have her child despite the odds and being told to abort her child. And I thought the left was pro-choice? It seems they are more pro-abortion than pro-choice and sharing that choice with the public.
  14. 31 Jan '10 23:47 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    That is a great point. So what is the big deal in censoring this ad? It seems to me all that they are doing is celebrating the woman's choice to have her child despite the odds and being told to abort her child. And I thought the left was pro-choice? It seems they are more pro-abortion than pro-choice and sharing that choice with the public.
    Nobody is saying they shouldn't be allowed to air the commercial during the Superbowl. The only criticism is it takes away from the lighthearted spirit and part of the appeal of the event.

    The Superbowl is famous for hilariously entertaining commercials. There is always lots of pre-game speculation about them and post game commentary about which commercials were the best and which were the funniest.

    The game is a time when people grab some beer, BBQ burgers and hotdogs and have a good time. I no more want a pro-choice commercial than I want a pro-life one during the game.

    Television stations consider appropriate venues and demographics as SOP when they air their commercials. This is why historically emotionally charged commercials have been declined for the big game.

    I don't want my future Superbowl experiences muddied down by every special interest group with deep pockets.
  15. 31 Jan '10 23:50
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    It's just so convenient that this particular child grew up to be someone like Tim Tebow.

    If you really want to spotlight mothers making brave choices, make an ad about a mother who was pregnant with a child that she knew had severe physical or mental abnormalities, but chose to give birth anyway because she was pro-life. Knowing all the challenges and ...[text shortened]... s that I assume CatholicVote is supporting to help such parents deal with all these challenges.
    And there you have it. Human worth is dwindled down to potential material gain and "good" physical health. Who knows, the next baby you could abort could be the next man whore Tiger Woods. You know, I hear he is really good at hitting little white balls.