Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member RBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    31 Aug '14 12:47
    http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/20/why-african-american-is-a-patronizing-even-racist-term/

I also find it and other terms racist.

I am 25% Itailian and I would find the term Italian American Racist. Being just American sounds and is stronger.
  2. 31 Aug '14 12:54
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/05/20/why-african-american-is-a-patronizing-even-racist-term/

I am 25% Itailian and I would find the term Italian American Racist. Being just American sounds and is stronger.
    The far left wishes to divide America, hence the reference to our racial roots of either Italian or African.

However, they also wish to herd us like cattle, hence the term "Italian-American and African-American.

It's an odd quandary to have.
  3. Standard member RBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    31 Aug '14 12:58
    Originally posted by whodey
    The far left wishes to divide America, hence the reference to our racial roots of either Italian or African.

However, they also wish to herd us like cattle, hence the term "Italian-American and African-American.

Yes it still puts us in groups.

Do you call a German that was born in America an American-German?
  4. 31 Aug '14 13:00

Nope, just a "cracker".
  5. 31 Aug '14 13:07

I view the U.S. (South Americans consider themselves Americans and some resent the fact we use it to identify U.S. citizens... sign) as a melting pot. I do not think terms like Irish American are pejorative. Unlike some European countries, the U.S. supposedly embraces a wide range of cultures. Remember the Statue of Liberty? In truth, our own culture, if we ignore Native American cultures which have been crushed, is in its infancy compared to most other nations. As a liberal, progressive U.S. citizen, I believe our strength lies in our diversity.
  6. 31 Aug '14 13:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phranny
    I view the U.S. (South Americans consider themselves Americans and some resent the fact we use it to identify U.S. citizens... sign) as a melting pot. I do not think terms like Irish American are pejorative. Unlike some European countries, the U.S. supposedly embraces a wide range of cultures. Remember the Statue of Liberty? In truth, our own culture, if ...[text shortened]... nations. As a liberal, progressive U.S. citizen, I believe our strength lies in our diversity.
    Diversity? Strength comes through collectivism. Only when you get a large group together who can form large armies or corporations can you conquer other groups of people.

Looking at collectivist models from the past, Hitler should have embraced the slaves when he attacked the USSR. Had he done so, he would have been seen as a liberator verses and conqueror. Instead, he made enemies of the slaves and he then had to fight them as well as the armies of Stalin whom they hated as well. As for the Jews, this was not necessary. The Jewish people were a minority and were affluent, so they could be rounded up, stripped of their wealth, and sent to death camps without a second thought. Plus creating a "bad guy" to pick on helps strengthen the collective in order to unite against a common foe.

So as we can see, anti-Semitism helped strengthen the collective in Nazi Germany as where not embracing diversity in the case of the slaves helped weaken them.

All in all, it's a mixed bag.
  7. 31 Aug '14 13:41
    A term or phrase cannot, by itself, be racist.
  8. 31 Aug '14 13:48 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Phranny
    , if we ignore Native American cultures which have been crushed, is in its infancy compared to most other nations. As a liberal, progressive U.S. citizen, I believe our strength lies in our diversity.
    What we have in the case of the Native Americans are collectivist Europeans clashing with a "backward" culture.

When I use the term "backward", I'm referring to a culture that did not embrace collectivism. The native Americans were a loosely connected group of tribes whose only goal in life was to provide for the necessities of life. They did not spend their time organizing to expand and conquer, so they did not develop the weaponry that the Europeans had developed through their centuries of collectivist power and conquest.

There was a man named Tecumseh who figured all of this out and tried to unite all the tribes against the invading Europeans. However, he failed and so his people and culture were eradicated.

Today we call "conservatives" regressive, much for the same reason the American Indian was called a "savage" back in the day. This is because both reject the collectivist model and opt for individual liberty. What they both have in common, however, is that they will both wind up on the "reservation", outcasts of society, targeted by such groups as the IRS.

This is why illegals are being embraced today. Whites are now a minority, due to various eugenic practices such as abortion and birth control. These are the new conquerors, much like the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock back in the day. The great thing about them is, they come from nothing, so as their ranks swell and grow more powerful, the powers that be in the US won't have to explain to anyone why it is so much harder to find a good paying job because to these illegal immigrants, they have it better than they did from whence they came.
  9. 31 Aug '14 14:04
    The power of collectivism is why I think Islam will be at the heart of the New World Order. They are all united against the infidel. They come from every country around the globe to help fight with ISIS. They are all driven to violence, and will stop at nothing to obtain their utopia. No one can reason with them, and their ranks continue to swell.

In fact, they recognize that high birth rates are the key. Just plant yourself in countries around the world and have as many babies as you can.

Their only down fall will be when they realize their New World Order. At that point, they will probably have factions fight within Islam for control.
  10. 31 Aug '14 14:24
    The power of collectivism is why I think Islam will be at the heart of the New World Order. They are all united against the infidel. They come from every country around the globe to help fight with ISIS. They are all driven to violence, and will stop at nothing to obtain their utopia. No one can reason with them, and their ranks continue to swell.

In f ...[text shortened]... ew World Order. At that point, they will probably have factions fight within Islam for control.
    Yeah, and muslims faked the moon landing.
  11. 31 Aug '14 14:35
    Diversity? Strength comes through collectivism. Only when you get a large group together who can form large armies or corporations can you conquer other groups of people.

Looking at collectivist models from the past, Hitler should have embraced the slaves when he attacked the USSR. Had he done so, he would have been seen as a liberator verses and conque ...[text shortened]... bracing diversity in the case of the slaves helped weaken them.

All in all, it's a mixed bag.
    The most successful conquerors improve living conditions for the conquered masses, allow them to keep their culture but require taxes and political allegiance to the conqueror. Duchess, where art thou?
  12. 31 Aug '14 14:37
    What we have in the case of the Native Americans are collectivist Europeans clashing with a "backward" culture.

When I use the term "backward", I'm referring to a culture that did not embrace collectivism. The native Americans were a loosely connected group of tribes whose only goal in life was to provide for the necessities of life. They did not spend t ...[text shortened]... ob because to these illegal immigrants, they have it better than they did from whence they came.
    False. The Iroquois and other tribes did unify. Native Americans were defeated because they did not have weapons equal to the invaders.
  13. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    31 Aug '14 15:10

Speaking for others are you?
    Why the hell (and I'm about as far left as they come) would I want to divide you up into racial roots???

Generally speaking, the far left doesn't care too much for borders. So, me for example again, couldn't care less what your roots are. In fact, I couldn't care less where you were born at all.

Now, if you want a label of origin, that's up to you (and anyone else). And then I think: "Where were you born?" And that's what you are.
    So, say I was born in Glasgow... then I'm bloody Scottish.
    Say my dad is Dutch and I carry a Dutch passport... I'm still bloody Scottish.
    Say I'm 1/8th Irish... I'm still bloody Scottish...

See?
    All the other stuff is crap. And even the location of my birth is crap.

To the far left: You are a bloody Earthling, go and live wherever you want.
    To me: You ain't a bloody human until you're in my phone book.
  14. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    31 Aug '14 15:16
    As for African American.
    I don't find it racist. I find it more of an oxymoron or an anti-tautology (if it actually exists... well... if it didn't it bloody well does now).

Unless... OFCOURSE... you're going to add stereotypical qualities to the term... then it CAN BE racist.

So:
    She is African American = a contradiction of sorts... she's either African or American.
    She is African American = a cover-up for not daring to say: "she's black."
    She is African American, because she uses drugs = racist slur.

See?

Well done.
    Now go back to smoking cocaine, you former-European American trailer trash!

Perhaps... perhaps... that's a bit racist though...
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    31 Aug '14 17:05 / 2 edits

Yeah. I know two of them. Tall valkyrie blond ladies with big boobs. German-Americans.